New build wont post

targetdan

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Hey guys,

Parts arrived yesterday and i set about following the newegg youtube tutorial to assemble my build as i am a first timer :sarcastic:

So i did the breadboard and got it to post on my monitor and my tv so all good.

Then i put it in the case and no post...tried a few things to no avail, then when i take it out and breadboard again with just mobo cpu hsf and ram i still cant get post.

Is it likely that i have damaged something?

Should also add that i made a complete rookie error in that i had been plugging the psu power supply in with the switch on all day because the wall switch was off. But in my excitement to test the build in case i must have forgotten that the wall plug was on, plugged the power supply lead into the psu and it made a sparking sound but not visible, then i switched off after i realised.

This lead me to thinking i fried the psu, but i have followed the steps in the no post guide including checking the voltages on the psu wires - all were exactly as they should be. I dont have any known working parts to swap as this is my first build :(

I did also wonder if my ram was completely compatible with the mobo but then would it have booted the first time??
Or whether overtightening the mobo screws would have broken anything? i later loosened them but no help.

I have done all the points on the no post checklist except the speaker - gonna go buy one today so i can get to the bottom of this.

If i find out i have a bad component is this something i can get a refund from aria.net ? or will it be a case of I fucked it i pay for it?! :cry:

Sorry for the long post here, last thing heres the stuff i was using:

1 x GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V GEN3 Intel H61 (REV B3) Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard @ 45.59GBP
1 x 550W Cooler Master GX 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply @ 47.99GBP
1 x Pioneer DVR-S19LBK 24x Internal DVD±R/RW SATA Drive - Black @ 19.20GBP
1 x G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)
MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5
Zalman Z11 Plus High Performance Mid Tower Case
A year old seagate barracuda hdd 7200 rpm

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

sparking a power supply is never good. you dont know what it could have taken out. All i can say is try and clear your cmos using the jumper you may get lucky and clear the error if it your mb from posting. if not you may have damaged your mb.

targetdan

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
Thanks smorizio, i am thinking it might be mobo.

Rick: yes i made sure to check. I used 6 standoffs which is all the board had holes for.

I struggled when getting the board in position though - ie it was like a mm out on some of the holes so had to push it about a bit in order to screw in properly

targetdan

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
I am now thinking i should buy a motherboard and try again to determine if that or the cpu was the problem.

Am i safe to assume that the ram is ok since i managed to get it to post?

A matter of preference.
I bend some of them out of the way ,Remove some. On some cases the hole for the plate is a little too big and the plate is loose. The spring tabs(do not know their proper name)hold the I/O faceplate in place to prevent rattles fron fan vibration>
To each his own depending on what works.