After cleaning the PSU there is a smell

mazda53

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hi there,

I recently cleaned out my pc; I looked inside the PSU this time and found it to be really badly clogged up with dust. So I took the outer case off and gave it a good clean with small brushes and a vacuum.

After putting it back together there is a smell (a bit like a worn out car clutch smell).
What is this? Could it be the fan which needs lubricating or is the PSU dying?

mazda53

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hi there,

thanks for the quick reply,

the smell seems to be coming from that general area.

there was alot of smell yesterday and today its less.

Well, tomorrow it might be a different story altogether.....
Better keep a watch on the PSU.... smell and smoke... or some gooey stuff.... all bad signs....
Just to be on the safe side and if you plan on continuing to use the PSU without giving it a good look.
Buy a fire extinguisher.

Be very careful of working inside a PSU. PFC or voltage doubler capacitors (you'll have one or the other, not both) are rated at high voltages for a reason. And yeah, if you see any gooey stuff around capacitors, your PSU is done. If you continue to use it, you will no doubt be passing poorly filtered voltages into your PC, and something's death is only a matter of (brief) time.
Since you say the smell is less, you may have simply relocated some of the dust onto a component or heat sink that gets particularly hot. What brand and model is this PSU?
BTW, using a vacuum on a computer is generally a bad idea, as dust moving up the hose can create static. A pressurized duster is the better choice, outside if at all possible to avoid the Wrath of Wife (or of Mom, depending on your living arrangements).

mazda53

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

lol, thanks.

I might as well buy a new PSU then

mazda53

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Thank you, great advice. Makes a lot of sense

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
you can try contacting thermaltake for warranty or customer service...
although there was probably a sticker saying if you open this you void the warranty.

Anyway, worth a shot to see if maybe they will help you out...

mazda53

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

yea, i screwed through the sticker