Sign in with
Your question

Can't upgrade my drivers to 12.1...(AMD saphirre HD 6970)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 6, 2012 5:56:55 PM

Hey guys, I built my computer a good 5-6 months ago and it's been running great. I've had 0 problems with it and make sure to install new updates once in a while.

Now, my problem is pretty weird and I really don't know what I'm dealing with. Usually when I install new GPU drivers, I delete all my old ones and install the new ones right after. When I do that, the screen use to shrink but never would it lose it's color. As soon as I reinstalled the drivers and tweaked the settings everything would work fine. I never had a problem doing this before so it surprises me that the whole screen loses colors when I do it now. Am I doing something wrong?

This is my screen when it's normal.

When I uninstall the drivers

February 6, 2012 7:28:41 PM

you used a driver sweeper huh?which one?CCleaner?

if so,the only fix is a OS reinstall,
m
l
February 6, 2012 8:00:21 PM

Earnie said:

No, I did it through AMD catalyst control center. There's an option to install and uninstall but as soon as it uninstall, the screen goes way too dark and I can barely read the windows. Which makes tweaking, Installing and reading nearly impossible. I reverted to a past back up for now. I would still like to figure what the problem is though.
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2012 8:08:29 PM

I've seen that exact problem before,somewhere along the line If you have used ccleaner.it removes part of the os which the AMD ccc needs,the only fix i have seen/used was an OS reinstall.

before my last upgrade,i was playing around with ccleaner,as most people say its ok,(I disagree)so I thought since I was doing an upgrade,I would try it!afterwards when I went to uninstall the ccc,this is exactly what happened,

Even if u used it anytime since your last ccc driver update.
m
l
February 6, 2012 8:47:30 PM

Earnie said:

WHAT!? Sorry but GTFO!

Quote:
Hey guys, I built my computer a good 5-6 months ago and it's been running great. I've had 0 problems with it and make sure to install new updates once in a while.

Now, my problem is pretty weird and I really don't know what I'm dealing with. Usually when I install new GPU drivers, I delete all my old ones and install the new ones right after. When I do that, the screen use to shrink but never would it lose it's color. As soon as I reinstalled the drivers and tweaked the settings everything would work fine. I never had a problem doing this before so it surprises me that the whole screen loses colors when I do it now. Am I doing something wrong?

This is my screen when it's normal.

This happens to me from time to time... What are your system specs?

I can't believe he told you to reinstall your operating system! WOW! Exact thing happened to me today... I was going from 12.1 to 12.2 preview. What happens is when you use Catalyst uninstall manager it sometimes it doesn't remove the drivers. Catalyst uninstall manager is notorious for this thus the reason people use driversweeper. So what I do is run express uninstall of all AMD software (don't reboot), go into device manager and manually uninstall display drivers. Then, i run "Driver sweeper" http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/ then reboot. Once rebooted don't let windows install device drivers. Re-download Catalyst http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win... and reboot.

Edit: ironic we both have 6970 GPU's... well in my case 2x6990's but 6970 GPU's nonetheless.
m
l
February 6, 2012 9:04:19 PM

RussK1 said:
WHAT!? Sorry but GTFO!

This happens to me from time to time... What are your system specs?

I can't believe he told you to reinstall your operating system! WOW! Exact thing happened to me today... I was going from 12.1 to 12.2 preview. What happens when you use Catalyst uninstall manager it doesn't remove the drivers. So what I do is run express uninstall of all AMD software (don't reboot), go into device manager and manually uninstall display drivers. Then, i run "Driver sweeper" http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/Driver-Sweeper/ then reboot. Once rebooted don't let windows install device drivers. Re-download Catalyst http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win... and reboot.

Thats exactly what I said,it isnt rocket science to update AMD ccc,but after using ccleaner,that is EXACTLY what happened.have you ever had this EXACT issue,doubt it,so stop guessing.
been using AMD/ATI for over 10 yrs,not once has this issue ever happened,except after using ccleaner.
m
l
February 6, 2012 9:12:41 PM

Earnie said:
Thats exactly what I said,it isnt rocket science to update AMD ccc,but after using ccleaner,that is EXACTLY what happened.have you ever had this EXACT issue,doubt it,so stop guessing.
been using AMD/ATI for over 10 yrs,not once has this issue ever happened,except after using ccleaner.

After 10 years of using CCC it apparently hasn't taught you reading comprehension...

Where in his post did he say he used CCLEANER? Learn to read. AND in my post I said the EXACT same thing happend to me. 1st- updating from 11.12 to 12.1. 2nd- updating from 12.1 to 12.2. It's obvious it's something to do with the 12.1/12.2 drivers and old drivers still being there.

Here you can try to read again~

Quote:
Earnie wrote :

No, I did it through AMD catalyst control center.
m
l
February 6, 2012 9:24:30 PM

RussK1 said:
After 10 years of using CCC it apparently hasn't taught you reading comprehension...

Where in his post did he say he used CCLEANER? Learn to read. AND in my post I said the EXACT same thing happend to me. 1st- updating from 11.12 to 12.1. 2nd- updating from 12.1 to 12.2. It's obvious it's something to do with the 12.1/12.2 drivers and old drivers still being there.

updated from 11.2-12.1,no issues..updated from 12.1-12.2 again no issues,so ,no ,I do know what i'm doing.

I never said he DID use it,I ASKED if he did.,I said I used it for *** and giggles and it caused the exact same issue,I couldnt update ccc,system restore,uninstall ccc without this exact issue.I did a lot of searching and never came up with anyone reporting this issue,NOW,maybe for some odd reason,the same conclusion with the same issue came up here between him and I,and there is 2 different fixes,but in my case,even in safe mode nothing could be done,so MY only recourse was a os reinstall.

I tryed several times exactly what you suggested,but in my case,it wouldnt work.So I think you need to do some reading comprehension yourself!
m
l
February 6, 2012 9:45:27 PM

Earnie said:
updated from 11.2-12.1,no issues..updated from 12.1-12.2 again no issues,so ,no ,I do know what i'm doing.

I never said he DID use it,I ASKED if he did.,I said I used it for *** and giggles and it caused the exact same issue,I couldnt update ccc,system restore,uninstall ccc without this exact issue.I did a lot of searching and never came up with anyone reporting this issue,NOW,maybe for some odd reason,the same conclusion with the same issue came up here between him and I,and there is 2 different fixes,but in my case,even in safe mode nothing could be done,so MY only recourse was a os reinstall.

I tryed several times exactly what you suggested,but in my case,it wouldnt work.So I think you need to do some reading comprehension yourself!

CCLEANER is a non-issue, simply he didn't use it nor from his post any other 3rd party app. I'm pretty confident it's a driver(s) issue. Enter Safe mode and go into device manager and manually uninstall device drivers... it as simple as that. Then go into "program files" and manually delete ATI/AMD files. Reboot and do not let windows update drivers. Visit AMD's website and download whatever drivers one wants to download...

The display above [:russwood1488:7] isn't catastrophic; it's a corrupt display. Not a meltdown of Windows... and is fixable if steps are taken.
m
l
!