CD-to-CD copy VS All-Files copy ?

winglesslight

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2001
Hi
When I copy files like 1GB to another directory, doesn't PC ever miss a bit?
Do you also know if copying all the files from one CD to another is as good as disc-to-disc copy when burning a CD?
Which is better?
Thank you very much whoever replies.

Fa1c0n

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Answer to question 1:

No the drive doesn't miss even a single bit. Error correction algorithms see to that. There is a incredibly small chance that it will happen anyway though, like 1 in 10 to the 15th power, chance that it will happen (the math is approximate). Or perhaps I should say that 1 out of every 10 to the 15th power bits could be lost.

Answer to question 2:

Whether you want to file copy or disk copy depends on what you are needing to do. If you want to, say... pirate a Windows XP CD (why you would want to do that is beyond me) then you would want to do a DISK to DISK copy (duplicate the entire disk, bit for bit). If you want to copy some of the files from one disk to another and don't need the two disks to be identical, then use file copy.

:wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool:
:smile: <b><font color=green> Have a day </font color=green></b> :smile:

G

that call-microsoft key, maybe the CD has some copy protection scheme which can be overcomed by using software like cloneCD.

The best way to fight boredom is sleeping

G

Copying all the files won't necessarily result in a given file ending up in the same place physically on the copied CD. One method of copy protection would be to request a file located at a specific physical location rather than by directory structure. While I don't claim to know any specific CDs that use this method, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.