Computer wont display or boot after new PSU and Vid card install.

ianjones0325

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hello,
My custom built PC won't show a display as the title states here are my specs:

i5 2400

8GB GSkill Ram

250GB HD

Win7 Home Pre

OLD VID CARD: Radeon 5770(cant remember the exact number)

NEW VID CARD: Radeon 8570

ASUS P8P67

PSU 600W Crucial

OLD PSU 450W came with case

The problem is I installed the new vid card and the new PSU and it powers I get fans to the mobo and I get the power lights to the mobo but the new vid cards fans didnt power on so I assume the vid card is DOA fine but when I connect my old vid card it powers, and it's fans run but I get no display I then took out the new PSU and did the old setup but still no display. I've reseated the RAM, used known working RAM, unhooked the DVD, reset the CMOS, reset the motherboard by jumper, ram MEM TEST for the RAM tried all known working configurations wit all known working pieces and the mobo still receives power because it's lights turn on and its fan is functioning. I think i've tried everything but can installing a higher W PSU damage my processor? my mobo? I've done everything correctly was wearing the static guard and whatnot made sure i grounded myself but am in complete confusion about what the issue may be. I havent tried reseating the processor or the mobo itself

In a nutshell, no. Simply installing a higher wattage PSU will not damage any component. That is unless there was something wrong with the PSU, say a frayed/exposed wire; for example. A PSU is only capable of dishing out what is needed by the system; therefore, it cannot overload the system just because you increased the amount of wattage (which is it's maximum output, as opposed to it's maximum load potential) from a previous PSU.

I am going to ask this only because it is sometimes overlooked, and is not a question of your technical ability. Did you remember to plug in the CPU power 4/8-pin plug?

ianjones0325

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I installed the speakers for the mobo but my case was cheap so I don't think they run I purposely ran it with no ram to see if I'd get the beeps but didnt hear a thing. Infact it didnt even show red lights it showed everything lit green and all the fans began running as for the 4pin connector, yes I definitely made sure that was inserted before booting the system each time. The problem is as of late the HD hasnt been sounding like its being active at all it gets hot as if its in use but i dont hear any activity to its leading me to think it isnt even getting a command to begin booting.

Even if the HDD was defective, you would still see the BIOS flash screen. You would also be able to see the POST result with something like: "No bootable disk...", or "No operating system found", etc. Still, if you feel the HDD is a problem, you do need to address that.

As for the no display, I suggest you pull everything out of the case and breadboard (build the system out of the case), just to make sure nothing is shorting.

ianjones0325

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
alright ill try that method when i get home, but as for the new vid card any reason why its fans wouldnt spin? i have a 600w PSU and it only requires 500W so its fans not spinning is that a sign its DOA?

Maybe. Here are a couple of things you should know about PSUs:

1. Wattage isn't the specification that determines the PSU's sufficiency; Amperage is. A PSU will have one or more + 12V rails. On these rails you will see a number followed by "A" for Amps. The amount of Amps is the electrical load said rail can handle, max. If, for any reason, you go over the max limit, your PSU will not function properly, which means some devices may not get sufficient power.

2. PSU's can sometimes appear to be working (powering up, spinning fan, etc) but may actually be defective. The best way to test a PSU is to use a digital multimeter and test the voltage of each wire, except the black ones), on the P1 (mainboard) connector.

ianjones0325

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
So I bread boxed it and the same thing happened no display but I did make a discovery it does wake my monitor up when I turn the power on for the motherboard but i m wondering I'm still within my warranty for Asus would the repair the motherboard for me? I'd hate to have to start over buying computer components that would suck majorly

ianjones0325

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Well I'll try and take some pics tonight of the setup but i was still sort of using the case for the power button because I didnt want to short out the wires with a screw driver to turn it on the motherboard was on its original box close to the case and all the wires were coming from their original locations to the motherboard and the PSU was close as well so the setup wasnt a "true" breadboard but the way the motherboard was situated it couldnt have gotten shorted out by anything to be honest.

Would my motherboard and processor be covered by their respected warranties or if this doesnt work in the end to be function will i be *** out of luck? Id rather not have to buy an entirely new system because of me trying to upgrade

Well, if the breadboard works without the case power button, the problem could be in the button switch. These switches are fairly simple to replace, but just be careful when removing the button, as they can sometimes crack.

Mobos and CPUs typically have a one year warranty from the manufacturer's.