Current dell insiron 530 video card

lopaka311

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hello,
what are the options I have for upgrading my dell inspiron 530 with a video card? meaning what will newer cards will work with it?

this would be for gaming I would like to get off the bottom end of the display for ddo

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If your Dell Inspiron 530 is like the ones I'm familiar with, it has a 350W PSU. Dell used to put a fairly good quality PSU in their machines back them. I believe the two +12V rails are 12A and 18A, and there is a single 6 pin PCIe power cable. If you don't have a lot of other equipment running off the PSU, you can probably safely install a HD 6750. (Maybe evan a HD6770, but that might be pushing it.) The HD 6750 uses about 86 watts at normal 3D gaming and will get you excellent graphics at 1680x1050 resolution and lower.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600083901%20600150231&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

Here is a PSU calculator that you can use to check your wattage: http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

lopaka311

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
ok so given that info and what I know of this computer

2 sata hard drives

32 bit windows 7

intel 450 @ 2.20 GHz

and that PSU calculator I probably screwed up on it said something about having 130 extra watts

what would be the recommended brand/model?
for graphic/reliability/quality

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yikes! A Celeron 450? Single core? If this is your processor...
http://ark.intel.com/products/35239/Intel-Celeron-Processor-450-%28512K-Cache-2_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB%29
... you are CPU handicapped big time. However, I'm going to assume you are using integrated video now... so adding ANY discrete video card will make an improvement.

What resolution is your monitor? 1680x1050 or less? The higher the resolution, the more work the card has to do.
I don't think I'd waste the money on the HD 6750 if it's going to be bottlenecked by the single core Celeron. Go with a HD 6670. It doesn't even need a PCIe power cable. If later you plan on upgrading the processor (if you can), you may be able to move up to a faster card.

I always liked Sapphire for an AMD card. But all the brands in the list are good. Here are some HD 6670s to pick from.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600083901%20600144219&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20
You'll notice some cards are double slot and some are single slot. Check to see if anything will be in the way if you go with a double slot card.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There are option for upgrading beyond a single core Celeron. Give me your motherboard make/model. If you can't find it, let me know the exact model no. of your Dell 530. It should have other numbers or letters besides the 530.

Or just go with the HD 6670.

lopaka311

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
the mother board has this info on it

G33mo2

CN-ORY007-73604-8C6-03AZ

REVAA01

If I remember correctly this 1 board out of the 4 options was not upgradeable as far as the processor goes and thus maxes out at 3 ram ta boot

but for a dumpster dive the price was not beatable

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I believe that Dell motherboard is actually a Foxconn G33M: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000319 (Site takes awhile to download, be patient) It has a LGA 775 socket and can accept any Intel processor in the Specification/Processor list shown. All the way up to Core2Quads. A BIOS update may be needed, but that's not hard to do.
Go here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186125 and click on the board's top view to enlarge it. Click on the enlargement to make it even bigger. See if this isn't your board. I'm betting it is. It was used in Dell 530s some years back.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
NO! You can't put a Core 2 Quad on the Inspiron 530 mobo's that didn't come with a quad standard. Dell cheaped out and didn't put enough voltage regulators to handle a C2Q on the boards that come with a Dual or Single core system. I have a Studio 540 (same thing basically), but I got a Core 2 Quad in mine. Then moved it to an new case and PSU.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Leave it to Dell...
If that's true, he should surely be able to move up to a Core2Duo. Even a dual core Pentium would be an improvement over his single core Celeron.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks for the correction. Everytime the subject of a Dell system comes up, I learn some amazing new fact about how crappy they are...

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

No it's based off that one. Has some Dell-specific changes.

Yeah Dell's suck. Never again will I buy one. Bought this one because I needed one fast so I bought it at Micro Center. Had a C2Q so I jumped on it...Then learned how crappy Dell is. Luckily it just ATX parts, so I moved it to a new case. Still, a pretty crappy computer.

lopaka311

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
my next computer will be a self built beast

mother board requirement will be capable of 32gb ram with I7 or equivalent so bottlenecking the output of the video card I'm not to concerned about.

I just want to know whats compatible with this dinosour.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Then I would recommend:
1) staying with the Celeron and not spending too much on a graphics card
2) picking up a Core2Duo and using a bit more card like the HD 6750 (if you have a PCIe power cable and the 350W PSU)
3) moving to a new board/CPU (that means a new Windows O/S purchase too)

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Pick up a Pentium Dual Core or Core 2 Duo if you can (the Pentium has to be LGA 775, Pentium name has been around for many different sockets) and spend the rest of the budget on a mid range GPU. Don't go with new board for your system if you are running the stock OS that Dell provided because then you'll have to buy a copy of Windows 7 for it.