Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HAF X/NH-D14 Airflow

Last response: in Components
July 27, 2012 12:33:46 PM

First q in the forums after weeks of research on here :)  haha! Okay so I've tried to find a legitimate airflow answer for this case but I want to be sure I order the right stuff to begin with. Just wanted to know what is the best fan configuration (suggestions for replacement fans, no budget in this field), when paired w/ the Noctua NH-D14 (if recommended, suggestions for replacement fans, push/pull, or triple fan setup would be appreciated, as well).
My setup is going to be as follows:
MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77
CPU: i7 2700k (OC, HOPEFUL)
VIDEO: EVGA GTX 670 (SC; & SLI LATER PROB)
COOLER: NH-D14
RAM: 16GB RIPJAWS Z 1866 (4X4)
HDD: 1TB WD
SSD: 128GB CRUCIAL
OPTICAL: LITE-ON BR BURNER
SOUND: ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX
CASE: HAF X
FAN CONTROLLER: SCYTHE KAZE MAS PRO
(JUST IN CASE I NEED ONE DOWN THE LINEļ¼‰
PSU: COOLERMASTER SILENT PRO GOLD 1000W
I know listing everything might not necessary but I didn't want to leave anything out just so I can get the best possible answer.
Thanks in advance guys; you'll be saving me a lot of tweaker hours.

More about : haf d14 airflow

Best solution

July 27, 2012 12:42:22 PM

You don't need a third Fan to attach to the NH-D14, the rear fan in the HAF X case will pull out the hot air, it will be too close to the heatsink of the NH-D14.

NH-D14 is one of the top air coolers out there, push & pull configuration doesn't have a serious impact on the heat dissipation, maybe 1-3 degrees less.

Why 1000W PSU? all you need is a true 650W PSU.
July 27, 2012 12:52:24 PM

thanks for the reply. and yeah, I just thought i'd be open to any and all suggestions.

but 1000w because i'm planning on ramping it up as I go along. just to give me a whole lot of head room in what ever I plan on doing next.

any suggestions on the haf x fan config? that's the main thing i need as far as my specific setup.
Related resources
July 27, 2012 1:08:22 PM

Even if you'll get the newer GTX 690, you won't need more than a 700W PSU. 1000W in case you go 3-way or 4-way SLI of the top end cards :p 

No additional configuration, just the front fan for the Intake, rear and top ones for exhausting and the Side fan of you have a CF-SLI setup.
July 27, 2012 1:28:58 PM

alright, sounds good. thanks! and yeah, i'm probably gonna go 4-way SLI and upgrade to newest SB/SB-E setup down the line.

much appreciated!
July 29, 2012 1:33:17 PM

Best answer selected by djayarr.
!