New build, no left headphone sound problem

lurn

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Hi, posted an issue i'm having with new build in the new build section.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/356125-31-build-left-headphone-sound-problem

Here are my specs:

Case: Cool Master Haf 912

MOBO: Asus P8z77-V pro

PSU: Antec earthwatts EA380 380W

DVD-RW: Asus 24X DVD Burner DRW-24B1ST

Blu-Ray Burner: LG 14x BH14NS40

CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX

Operating System: Windows 7 professional

I think my issue is better suited for this forum.

Essentially, i'm having trouble getting sound out of my left headphone when I connect to the front panel of my case. I've tried just about all i could think of at this point. Reinstalling Realtek Audio drivers several times. Switching from AC '97 to HD, etc. Still, no luck. I'm thinking its may be a MOBO issue since and I'm having trouble getting sound at of the rear and front panel ports.

Any help would be appreciated.

lurn

chugot9218

Honorable
If you are having problems getting sound out of the rear ports it is likely a MOBO issue. I have the same MOBO as you but inside of a Corsair 600T and actually had the same problem, I received no audio in my left speaker from the front panel connection, however my sound did work out of the rear ports. I simply reseated the audio cable and made sure it was hooked up tight and that remedied my headphone problem. Make sure you are testing the headphones in the correct rear port, I initially had it in the wrong one and had to look in the MOBO manual.

lurn

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Thanks for he responses guys.

1: Does the headphone work correctly using the rear panel?
2: If not, does the headphone work properly when connected to another device?
3: Do other speakers/headphones work properly when connected to the PC?

1. Its not working correctly in the rear panel. I get sound out of the right headphone from the rear panel,as I do the front panel. From the front panel, i get no sound, noise, etc from the left headphone. However, when I connect to the rear panel port, i get this constant weird noise, almost like a vinyl sound from an old record player. Also, when i tap my computer case, the noisy sound from the left headphone becomes more audible, and louder with each tap on the computer case. It sounds like when you normally put a headphone cable into audio port and twist the cable connector as its in the port. Its similar to that sound.

2). Yes,the headphones work fine connected to other computer front panel ports, ipod, etc.

3) I've tried another pair of headpones (same model), and get the same problem. The model of the headphones are these litt: http://www.target.com/p/sony-on-the-ear-headphones-mdr210lp-black/-/A-10804408

If you are having problems getting sound out of the rear ports it is likely a MOBO issue. I have the same MOBO as you but inside of a Corsair 600T and actually had the same problem, I received no audio in my left speaker from the front panel connection, however my sound did work out of the rear ports. I simply reseated the audio cable and made sure it was hooked up tight and that remedied my headphone problem. Make sure you are testing the headphones in the correct rear port, I initially had it in the wrong one and had to look in the MOBO manual.

Yeah, I have it connected to the green port in the back. I tried every other port as well, just to make sure if it was the right one, and got no sound out of the others. When connected to the lime green port, I get sound out of the right ear, but an intermittent white/bleeding noise sound in the left headphone.

Simply, reseating the audio cable did the trick? So, its working from the rear ports, but what about your front panel ports? Are still just getting one sound out of only the front panel? I'm wondering if this is a common issue with this MOBO in general.

chugot9218

Honorable
Oops, I meant I removed and plugged back in the case HD Audio header cable into the motherboard, I was getting sound fine from my rear panel ports but when I plugged into the front panel audio port I only received sound through one ear phone, and as previously stated, reseating the cable seemed to fix it. I suspect your're having a MOBO problem if the sound does not work correctly through either the back panel or front panel connections, especially if you have already checked the drivers.

lurn

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Chugot,

Thanks for the response.

I see. Yes, I tried the case HD Audio header cable reseating and made sure the BIOS had that HD Audio option. I then even tried the case AC 97 legacy connector and switched to AC 97 in the BIOS. And still, the same issue.

But your right, I'm thinking its the MOBO itself. I may just be better off returning it for another. I just bought it this past weekend.

lurn

lurn

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
UPDATE

Hello.

I exchanged my MOBO for a new one. I can now get sound from both right and left headphones coming from the rear panel audio port.

However, I'm still having the same issue with the front panel port with sound coming from the right headphone only. If I put the jack slightly into the front port, I can get faint sound coming from the left headphone, but when putting it in completely, i get sound coming from the right headphone only. Again, HD is enabled for front panel sound in the BIOS, and the HD Audio cable from the computer case is completely connected to the AAFP connector of the motherboard. The same issue occurs with AC 97 enabled in the BIOS and the AC 97 cable connected to the AAFP connector of the MOBO.

Here is my dilemma:

Is this just a bad batch of MOBO's I'm using. . Or is it my Computer case's front panel HD audio/AC cable wiring. Is there a way totest if there is a short on the AAFP connector of the MOBO or in the Audio wires/port of the computer case? Computer Case or MOBO?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks,

lurn

chugot9218

Honorable
I would probably chalk this up to a bad front panel connector. In the first case, it sounds like the MOBO was bad considering the sound was bad from both the front and back ports. Now that the back ports work and the front doesn't, I would guess that the cable/port is bad on the case as well. I know I had to play around with a few settings in RealTek to get my audio working correctly, have you made sure all the configuration options in there look kosher? Not set to mono or something like that? I had problems getting it to mute my back panel audio when plugging something into the front panel. Unfortunately I do not know of a reliable way to check the case connections :(, but if all the plugs are set properly I would point my finger at the front panel connector/port. I believe for my case, the 600T, I had the option of replacing the front panel connectors on my own as opposed to RMA'ing the whole case, but I did not have to do it considering it was the plug not being in all the way. Contact your case manufacturer and see if that is an option.

lurn

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Update:

I think i figured out what was going on. Eventually, my computer would not even power on. After doing some investigating and I disassembled the computer part by part. I discovered i neglected to install all of the standoff screws in my case for my MOBO to be placed upon. I suspect this was causing the problem all along. It was probably shorting out the MOBO, as well as the sound and eventually the ability to power on the computer. Once I installed the standoff crews, I placed the MOBO on top of them and reassembled the computer. Now, I can power on and I get audio coming from both headphones from the front panel and back panel. So far, so good, right now. That seemed to take care of the problem.

Thanks again for your help guys.

lurn