Sign in with
Your question

Dual mis-matched video cards

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 6, 2012 7:38:45 PM

Hello,
I am adding a third monitor to my home PC, and need a second video card. I currently have a GeForce 7800GT PCIe x16 card, and only a PCIe x1 slot available. Will it cause any problems to buy a newer x1 video card and run it side-by-side with the 7800GT? I'm not needing SLI or anything, just the additional video ports.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2012 8:04:26 PM

You can certainly do that, but I would recommend getting a newer graphics card that can simply run all 3 out of the box. Most newer AMD cards do this, and it's becoming more common on NVidia cards. Just shop around for a newer card in your projected price range and read a quick review to see if it supports what you're looking to do.
m
l
February 7, 2012 2:10:06 PM

I've looked into that, but I'm not looking to spend more than 50-60 on the new card. I don't game, I just need more plugs for monitors. I'm a software developer, hence the need for 3 screens.

Also, with doing a single card that supports 3 monitors...that prevents me from adding a fourth down the road if I need or want to.

Anyway..thanks for confirming it will work. If you do happen to know of a card around $60 that would do 4 monitors, I'd love to hear about it - cheers.
m
l
!