SP2 & custom screensavers

After downloading Service Pack 2, I am unable to use any of the screensavers
I have created with Photodex ProShow Gold. I have tried placing them in the
Windows folder as well as the System32 folder to no avail. When I right
click the .scr file and click "install" the desktop properties opens under
the screen saver tab and shows it set to a completely blank space above the
"none" option. I had to uninstall SP2 to make some other updates and noticed
that the screensavers work fine while running SP1 but after reinstalling SP2,
I am running into the same problem again. Any new screensavers I try to add
do not show up in my screensaver options list. Please help.

If need be, I can make a small .scr file with Proshow available for you to
download and try for yourselves but if you aren't running SP2, you won't see
the problem.

Thanks

Here's an idea...

SP2 has lots of security "enhancements". A more advanced firewall being one
of them. When you download SP2, the default install has the Windows Firewall
enabled by default. The firewall not only attempts to protect you from
outside intrusion, it also limits the functionality of some types of
programs.

If you haven't already, try disabling the Windows Firewall and see if your
software works. If it does, you can add that program to the list of
"exceptions" under the firewall settings. Also, if you are already behind a
hardware firewall, and many broadband devices have one included, you can
disable Windows Firewall without suffering a loss in security from outside
intrusion. You can find the Windows Security Center icon in control panel.
Double-click and select "Manage security settings for Windows Firewall" at
the bottom of the page.

Good luck.
Tom

Thanks Tom, but I have tried that also. Unfortunately it did not resolve the
problem. Something is really screwy with my screensavers options in the
desktop properties. I noticed just recently after my last post, that after I
install a new screensaver and it creates the blank spot in the top of the
list, the "none" option actually isn't "none" at all. If I select "none"
now, it activates (and allows me to change the settings) of a different
screensaver that is already in the list.

I like most of the features of SP2 but there are a few little things such as
this that are pushing me towards uninstalling it and running without it. The
trouble is that if I make screensavers for family and friends, I don't want
them to have this trouble if they have SP2 and would like to figure out a way
to work around it.

Thanks again

"Tom Cade" wrote:

> Here's an idea...
>
> SP2 has lots of security "enhancements". A more advanced firewall being one
> of them. When you download SP2, the default install has the Windows Firewall
> enabled by default. The firewall not only attempts to protect you from
> outside intrusion, it also limits the functionality of some types of
> programs.
>
> If you haven't already, try disabling the Windows Firewall and see if your
> software works. If it does, you can add that program to the list of
> "exceptions" under the firewall settings. Also, if you are already behind a
> hardware firewall, and many broadband devices have one included, you can
> disable Windows Firewall without suffering a loss in security from outside
> intrusion. You can find the Windows Security Center icon in control panel.
> Double-click and select "Manage security settings for Windows Firewall" at
> the bottom of the page.
>
> Good luck.
> Tom

I have no problem with my screensavers. They worked with SP1 and continued
working as is with SP2. I blocked MS Firewall during SP2 install. I then
went backwards to SP1 for a few weeks and am now using SP2 again.
Screensavers always worked. Only thing you didn't mention is the OS. I
have XP Home.

The blank name you see is something I have had off and on with just about
every previous versions (95, 98, 200, XP). I never paid much attention to
them because it only screws up the order of screens. Just remember the 1st
(blank) is the 1st (actual). It appears to have screwed up the equivalence
table.

Frank

"jbstang" <jbstang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Tom, but I have tried that also. Unfortunately it did not resolve
> the
> problem. Something is really screwy with my screensavers options in the
> desktop properties. I noticed just recently after my last post, that
> after I
> install a new screensaver and it creates the blank spot in the top of the
> list, the "none" option actually isn't "none" at all. If I select "none"
> now, it activates (and allows me to change the settings) of a different
> screensaver that is already in the list.
>
> I like most of the features of SP2 but there are a few little things such
> as
> this that are pushing me towards uninstalling it and running without it.
> The
> trouble is that if I make screensavers for family and friends, I don't
> want
> them to have this trouble if they have SP2 and would like to figure out a
> way
> to work around it.
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Tom Cade" wrote:
>
>> Here's an idea...
>>
>> SP2 has lots of security "enhancements". A more advanced firewall being
>> one
>> of them. When you download SP2, the default install has the Windows
>> Firewall
>> enabled by default. The firewall not only attempts to protect you from
>> outside intrusion, it also limits the functionality of some types of
>> programs.
>>
>> If you haven't already, try disabling the Windows Firewall and see if
>> your
>> software works. If it does, you can add that program to the list of
>> "exceptions" under the firewall settings. Also, if you are already behind
>> hardware firewall, and many broadband devices have one included, you can
>> disable Windows Firewall without suffering a loss in security from
>> outside
>> intrusion. You can find the Windows Security Center icon in control
>> panel.
>> Double-click and select "Manage security settings for Windows Firewall"
>> at
>> the bottom of the page.
>>
>> Good luck.
>> Tom

> I like most of the features of SP2 but there are a few little things such
> as
> this that are pushing me towards uninstalling it and running without it.
> The
> trouble is that if I make screensavers for family and friends, I don't
> want
> them to have this trouble if they have SP2 and would like to figure out a
> way
> to work around it.

Let me get this straight: you put screensavers before security?

My suggestion: look for updates on Photodex's web site (or whoever makes
that screen saver authoring program). Surely they're aware of this problem
by now, and (assuming that software represents a significant enough revenue
stream for them) they should have some fix or workaround already available
or, at the very least, should be working on it.