New system wont boot from cd-rom

imprezive

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I just assembled a new system and when I attempt to use the CD-ROM to install Windows 7 I'm getting that error "Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". This entire system is new, straight out of boxes from Newegg..

I've built one other system, and I used the same Win7 disk with no problems.

The system in question:

i5 2500k
ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3 mobo
Patriot Pyro SSD 60GB
ASUS CD-rom drive, Sata
G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1333
Corsair CX430 PSU

I've checked and rechecked boot order, I can set the boot order in BIOS or press F11 and bring up the boot menu and tell it to boot from the CD-ROM, neither works. I set the SATA config to IDE, no luck. Tried setting it to AHCI for giggles and nothing either. When the screen that reads "Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device" pops up I re-insert the Win7 CD and press a key, the CD-ROM will start to spin up a little but then just kinda stop, then the same prompt pops up.

I've Googled the problem and it seems a lot of people have had similar issues but no specific case seemed to apply to me. I'm curious if the mobo doesnt have a driver to run this CD-ROM, when I enter BIOS the mobo recognizes the drive and after the drive's name it says "ATAPI". Maybe this newer mobo doesn't support the ATAPI interface, is that even possible??? I do have a bootable Linux thumb drive which I can use to boot from and could install linux so the the SSD seems to be good to go. I don't currently have a large enough thumb drive to make a bootable Win7 thumb drive, and I'd like my CD-ROM to work.. Plus this is just super annoying to me.

Any pointers?

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Might be a stupid question, but is your boot order 1. Drive 2. SSD?

imprezive

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Yes I set the boot order to 1. Optical, 2. SSD. I also tried F11 during POST and told it to boot from Optical to no avail.

I've also tried switching around the SATA connections. Both SSD and optical are using 6GB/s cables. I tried running the Optical drive thru the mobo's 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s connection, but it makes no difference.

imprezive

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

I wasn't able to get that far yet, but I'll be attempting that this evening. The drive was brand new (not to say that new parts cant be DOA).

imprezive

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
It was a bad drive out of the box. Swapped in another drive (same brand/model) and bam! Windows 7 installed. Thanks for the input! It was a weird situation because I could hear the drive begin to spin up but then stop, so I was banking on it being a software issue.