Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
I really don't know what to make of the suit on Intel by Transmeta .
Just wanted to hear what your opinions on this matter are.
Transmeta sues Intel

From everything I have see and read on this at Ars and here I would say that its not going to hold up but some think that its quite interesting and complicated. As far as I see it this is another frivolous lawsuit. I guess they where working with Intel for a long time but then Intel doesn't want to pay the price that Transmeta is asking or something like that.

mpjesse

Splendid
Without seeing exactly what 10 patents Transmeta claims Intel broke, it's hard to comment. However Transmeta's latest business model has been to license power saving technology, which hasn't gained much ground because frankly, it sucks.

Certainly transmeta is a BIT of a pioneer in low voltage CPU's, but if memory recalls Intel and AMD both started work on low voltage offerings around the same time Transmeta started. Additionally, ARM processors have been around forever.

So the real question is this: is Transmeta turing into the next SCO? Now that would be ironic? Linus Torvaldis basically starts up Transmeta, SCO aquires the patents to UNIX, fails to sue IBM and others for using Linux, and now Transmeta is suing Intel over a licensing dispute.

Funny how things go 'round and 'round in this business.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Without seeing exactly what 10 patents Transmeta claims Intel broke, it's hard to comment. However Transmeta's latest business model has been to license power saving technology, which hasn't gained much ground because frankly, it sucks.

Certainly transmeta is a BIT of a pioneer in low voltage CPU's, but if memory recalls Intel and AMD both started work on low voltage offerings around the same time Transmeta started. Additionally, ARM processors have been around forever.

So the real question is this: is Transmeta turing into the next SCO? Now that would be ironic? Linus Torvaldis basically starts up Transmeta, SCO aquires the patents to UNIX, fails to sue IBM and others for using Linux, and now Transmeta is suing Intel over a licensing dispute.

Funny how things go 'round and 'round in this business.

Word, Playa.