another cable internet+router thread

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I've included a picture of my setup because it might get a little confusing when I explain the problem.

<A HREF="http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9056/network9hs.jpg" target="_new">http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9056/network9hs.jpg</A>

I have a cable internet with Mediacom and it works just fine. The modem only accepts one computer at a time (mac address) so before the router came today the only computer that could go online was mine. I simply had a network cable running from it to my computer.

Well, since the router came today I've had nothing but trouble working with it. If I have the cable modem plugged into the router as in the picture, and JUST computer #1 plugged in everything workas A-ok. If I attempt to plug in more than one computer, the internet works for about 1-2 minutes then just stops out of nowhere. Also, my access to either the router or the cable modem (192.168.1.1 access) stops. Everything resumes and works perfectly if I simply unplug all computers but mine from the router.

I'm not the most network savvy guy out there so I obviously need some help. I haven't messed with very many of the router settings but I can tell you what I have done. I have dhcp enabled, and I have it setup cloning this computers mac address. If I don't set it up to clone it never even tries to go on the internet. Sorry for my crude drawing and explanation but I need some serious help fast. My roomates are about to tear me to pieces with their fingernails so I would very much appreciate some quick help

I've checked forum after forum looking for some common answers but I have had no luck. It's so weird, because for a minute or two everything works fine but just out of nowhere it stops working, grr.

If you can think of any info you need PLEASE ask for I am willing to do virtually anything to fix this mess

It's all good ^_^

riser

Illustrious
I like the drawing.. good stuff there.

Here's the deal.. cable companies don't really like you using a router, so they lock your MAC address so only that computer can get on.

Now you're spoofing your MAC address of your PC.. but that doesn't stop your ISP from really seeing 3 computers, because the information is heavily increased and packet headings change between the 3 PCs.

What do you do?

At night, or in the morning when no one wants to get online, you want to hook your router up. Standard time is 4 hours for the MAC address to reset, then it'll recapture the MAC - put your router in place and let it sit for 4 hours then magic should happen and it'll work.

Or you could just call the cable company, tell them you put a different network card in your computer and to clear your current one out. They'll do that, keep the router in place (withou the MAC spoofing) and it should recognize the router as the main 'computer.'

namek0

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I think I understand, but let me say it word for word in case I slipped up anywhere.

The cable company right now sees 1 mac address, the mac of my computer. Ideally I want them to just see my router's mac address so my computers can all go through the router seemingly as 1 "computer"

Do I simply wait until tonight, say 12 midnight, and unplug all of my computers and just leave the cable modem and the router plugged in? Just to verify, all I need to do connect the router and cable modem, leave it be for 4 hours or more, then I should be good to go?

thanks a bigillion

It's all good ^_^

riser

Illustrious
That should work.. just plug the router in and normally after 4 hours it'll switch from your computer's mac to the mac on the router.

You can call up your cable company and tell them that you're switching to a different NIC/network card and want to make sure you'll be able to get online. They'll explain to you how it works, probably clear out the mac address they have on record, and you'll be good to go.

sturm

Splendid
did you unplug the router and the modem when you did the install?
I had this problem when I first put a router in.
Had to unplug modem, hook router up, turn on modem, turn on router and then everything was fine.