Sign in with
Your question

I7 3820 Overheating - Details Provided

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
July 27, 2012 4:03:16 PM

Hi,

Earlier today my computer froze and I had to restart it using the power button. I figured it was the CPU's fault because I've experienced this before with other builds, and it's always been the CPU. So I got pretty worried. I restarted the computer and launched Core Temp and as suspected the temps were through the roof. I was at 71c for each core... IDLE!!! "Jesus Christ", I thought to myself.

So I re-mounted the heatsink, checked for any hardware flaws and loose connections.... everything seemed perfectly fine (I have done this before and always encountered some problem after the freeze). But no, there were no problems. Everything looked, sounded and felt as it always has when the temps were around 30c idle. I tried different connections for the fans and heatsink, replaced some stuff here and there a lot of times. The temps dropped a little, now I'm on about 45c completely idle. But whenever I fire up, for instance, Windows Movie Maker and save a movie, the CPU's total load is around 45% and the temp slowly but surely rises to temperatures as high as 91c. It most often stays around 80c but after about 20 minutes of video editing and saving, it's able to jump to, yes, 91c.

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the hardware. All fans are running and the tubes to my cooler (Corosair Hydro H60) are intact and vibrate with heat as they always have. I've really tried everything in terms of placements of both the fan and heatsink. I believe I've re-attached them around 10 times since the problem first occured.

Following is some hardware information:

Corosair Hydro H60 - Cooler
Radeon HD6870 1GB - GPU
Radeon HD4870 1GB - GPU
Asus P9X79 - Motherboard
Intel Core i7-3820 - CPU
Corsair Force 3 180GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD - HDD
1TB Drive of unremembered manufacturer and model - HDD
1TB Drive of unremembered manufacturer and model - HDD
Corsair XMS3 Vengeance 4GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz - RAM

It is my belief that this problem occured out of nowhere. I looked at the idle temps about 2 weeks before this problem occured and they were around 30c then. I use this computer for really heavy CPU loads every single day and it has never frozen like this. Today it's frozen about 6 times during my testing after the crash.

I've done a lot of research and followed every bit of advice I've found throughout the internet except for re-applying thermal paste which I don't have at the moment. But it would seem very strange for thermal paste to be the cause considering how this just happened in an instant. Thermal paste doesn't go old over night does it? I'm not sure but it doesn't sound very logical.

I built the computer around 2 months ago and to my surprise I had no problems... though I did follow strict & detailed instructions and was extremely careful (it took me around 12 hours, it was my first build). Haven't had any problems whatsoever before today, been playing high-end games and done cpu demanding video editing every day. It's pretty much all I do.

I really need this computer to function, and especially right now for financial reasons which I've never had before (the timing is really as bad as it can get, really really).

I'm not sure about warranty, I would like to see if I can solve this myself before sending the hardware which I need functional away. I've done what I can and this thread is my final plea.

I remember a small thump from my neighbours in the upstairs apartment just a few seconds before the computer froze. It was a minor thump, though I've never heard any thumps from there before. Might have something to do with this, I simply do not know.

Sending the cooler back would mean wait time. I'm not sure if I can (literally) afford that. I don't want to start selling my belongings which are few and all electronics which I more or less require.

I will order thermal paste right after posting this thread, but the delivery will take a few days as I live isolated way north. And driving isn't an option as I don't have a car nor the money for a cab (if they even go here, I don't know) to the trainstation or even the tickets back and forth to the nearest town/city with an electronics store.

I cannot stress the extent of the awfulness of the timing of this problem to occur at this time enough.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Need more data? Please let me know what I can do!

Thank you in advance!

More about : 3820 overheating details provided

a c 110 à CPUs
July 27, 2012 4:20:16 PM

Too much and too little thermal paste will result in the CPU getting hot.
Ivy bridges are hot CPUs.
How much thermal paste did you use?
July 27, 2012 4:27:37 PM

Still, for the thermal paste to become such a severe problem over night without having touched the computer hardware seems illogical.

I didn't re-apply thermal paste because I didn't have any, but the temperatures were the same (high) after all the heatsink re-placements and the paste looked just fine.

To me that pretty much eliminates thermal paste as the cause. Perhaps you see it differently?
Related resources
a c 110 à CPUs
July 27, 2012 4:36:31 PM

When you put on fresh paste and put the heatsink on and turn on the computer, the thermal paste will melt alittle and create a seal with no air bubbles in it, when you take off the heatsink and put it back on without reapplying thermal paste, air bubbles get in between the heatsink and CPU, as air is a bad thermal conductor, your temps will go up.

I would recommend getting some thermal paste, its dirt cheap, clean all the old stuff off with some cleaning alcohol, and put a pea size amount on the middle of the CPU and put the heatsink on and secure it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silver-Paste-Articlean-C...
July 27, 2012 4:38:52 PM

Thanks, didn't know that.

But as I said in the original post, I have ordered thermal paste. And I still do not believe it's the cause considering the fact that the problem occured out of nowhere and before I had touched the heatsink. The thermal paste that I had applied was new when I bought it and applied only about 2 months ago.

Doesn't seem right at all.
a c 110 à CPUs
July 27, 2012 4:44:37 PM

Didn't the thing that you put on the CPU already have paste on it when you got it?
July 27, 2012 4:45:46 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Didn't the thing that you put on the CPU already have paste on it when you got it?

The heatsink? No, I bought the thermal paste on the side and applied at first attachment when I first built the computer. I used a "pea size" amount as recommended by everyone.
July 27, 2012 4:51:48 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Seems a bit wierd , water coolers cool cpus to under 50c.
Did you install it correctly- http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-kits/hydro-series-wa...

Yes I followed the instructions provided very carefully. And that can't be the problem because it has worked fine for 2 months with good temps and the problem occured without having touched the hardware.
a c 110 à CPUs
July 27, 2012 5:08:35 PM

Hmmm, if its still got warrenty, you could ask corsair for help or maybe they could replace it.
July 27, 2012 5:09:31 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Hmmm, if its still got warrenty, you could ask corsair for help or maybe they could replace it.

Yeah I'm going to do that unless I can solve the problem without having to.
a c 110 à CPUs
July 27, 2012 5:20:11 PM

Maybe the water is not flowing through the tubes..
Have you checked the tubes?
July 27, 2012 5:23:45 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
Maybe the water is not flowing through the tubes..
Have you checked the tubes?

Yeah I've suspected that too. From what I've understood the only sign of water flowing is vibration and the feeling of heat upon touching the tubes, and mine do that. If there was no water flow though, wouldn't the temperatures be waaay up there, even idle? I'm talking 80-90c idle. Because the tubes are what cools the CPU. Maybe there's a blockage though, I've tried repositioning the heatsink from different angles so the tubes align differently to no avail. Pretty much tested all possible positions, that goes with the fan + heatsink combinations too.
a c 110 à CPUs
July 27, 2012 5:28:20 PM

You know the radiator, did you check if that gets warm if you take the fan off it for a little while.
July 27, 2012 5:36:07 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
You know the radiator, did you check if that gets warm if you take the fan off it for a little while.

I haven't dared removing it from the fan with the computer on. To be completely without cooling (which I presume the fan makes the radiator able to do) seems very risky. I guess it's worth a shot. Just have to finish my dinner, havent eaten in 9 hours because of this.
a c 110 à CPUs
July 27, 2012 5:45:22 PM

Well its not like the CPU isn't bare, it still is cooled alittle......
Anonymous
July 27, 2012 6:39:47 PM

I7 3820 is not an ivy cpu is sandy bridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

Those tempratures are really high, it idles at 28c to 32c in stock. At 4.7 Ghz vid 1.352 volt idles arround 41c to the cores.

Search bettect cooling methods.
a c 110 à CPUs
July 27, 2012 6:42:31 PM

Anonymous said:
I7 3820 is not an ivy cpu is sandy bridge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

Those tempratures are really high, it idles at 28c to 32c in stock. At 4.7 Ghz vid 1.352 volt idles arround 41c to the cores.

Search bettect cooling methods.

They are Sandy Bridge-E.
Anonymous
July 27, 2012 6:46:44 PM

jay_nar2012 said:
They are Sandy Bridge-E.

Those tempratures are really high, it idles at 28c to 32c in stock. At 4.7 Ghz vid 1.352 volt idles arround 41c to the cores
July 28, 2012 7:41:02 AM

Yeah... I used to have great temperatures with this cooling method. I guess what you're trying to say is get one on warranty or buy a new cooler?
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2012 9:10:06 AM

That's it, nuke away!
July 28, 2012 12:45:51 PM

The thermal paste will be here in a few days. But I guess it's the fan or CPU that's failing on me. Would make a lot more sense, too.

Do we have any more ideas?

Also, I remember more posts before I went for a jog and now they seem to be gone. Did mod delete them or have I gone mad?
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2012 12:52:34 PM

It has absolutely nothing to do with me. You have simply gone mad. I can assure you of that. (spoken in GLaDOS's voice)
July 28, 2012 1:06:26 PM

Pyree said:
It has absolutely nothing to do with me. You have simply gone mad. I can assure you of that. (spoken in GLaDOS's voice)

Potatus Transformus!

...Not so tough now, are we?

That's enough OT for today I believe. Don't want to get banned before solving this problem of mine.
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2012 1:12:30 PM

:lol: 

The humorous remark above is within the normal behavioural parameter. The system will not register this as an offence and terminate your test run.
July 31, 2012 5:02:37 PM

Since I made this post my computer has frozen about once a day, but the temperatures have been pretty stable around 50-60c then because I've been working on very low CPU load... is this a sign that the CPU is defect? or in other words, is there no god?
July 31, 2012 5:03:46 PM

Sorry, thread, not post. for some reason I'm unable to edit the above post.
July 31, 2012 5:47:28 PM

Thanks, will see if the thermal paste and new cooling system will do the trick first. I just need to know if someone recognizes the problem and if it was related to a defect CPU in those cases.
a c 110 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 5:51:55 PM

Rare for a CPU to start becoming unstable randomly, have you checked other components like the RAM, GPU and HDD.

Try stressing the GPU and RAM and do some tests on the HDD...
July 31, 2012 5:59:03 PM

I ran a few instances of Memtest to cover all 16gb of ram I use and the cpu usage went up to around 50% and the temperatures reached 100c per core. So I don't think it would be safe to let the tests finish.

It was about 2% completed when the temps were on 100c per core.
a c 110 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:07:40 PM

Yea, i forgot about that....

Anyway when you do sort out the cooling problem, try those.
July 31, 2012 6:32:31 PM

I just noticed that one of the 2 tubes (the long one) for the corsair h60 is hot and not vibrating unlike the other tube.
a c 110 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:35:36 PM

I think there could either be a blockage somewhere or your cooler is faulty...
You could RMA it to corsair.
July 31, 2012 6:39:07 PM

Do we have any more ideas that could potentially fix the tube? Google didn't come up with much.
a c 110 à CPUs
July 31, 2012 6:41:09 PM

Have you tried moving the tube alittle?
July 31, 2012 9:02:05 PM

Yep, even removed it from the fan and moved it around when it was on like you suggested.
August 1, 2012 2:00:18 AM

Nope not yet, since I don't have a temporary replacement I can't do that. Need the computer. So I was going to get a new cooling system but after I disabled something called Q-Fan now and replaced some connections I never go above 80c in Prime with all cores on 100% load...

But the computer still freezes while idling around and browsing the internet while the cores are on only about 48c... just when I thought I had fixed it. Been messing around with the RAM sticks to no avail, will see if drivers or software could be the culprit tomorrow by reinstalling Windows.
August 1, 2012 2:05:35 AM

Might be worth mentioning that I was able to play Skyrim with graphics mods for about 45 minutes before the computer froze. The temperatures went from 50-62c per core during that time and as soon as they went up they were shot back down again as if some protection mechanism had been re-enabled somehow.
November 30, 2012 7:23:46 AM

hey, i have the same issue as you. mine is a 2 days old system though...

idling at 65c....

Any updates on the cause of your issue ? i know its four months old, but here goes nothing !
!