Link 2 ISP circuits into a single home network

rdsymonds

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
Hello, I have 2 internet services with separate ISPs. My local telephone exchange is somewhat dated so the maximum speed per ISP/connection is about 1 Gbps. I have streaming radio services, I do quite a bit of file downloading and there multiple devices currently trying to share a single connection. I haven't been able to utilise the second connection because my NAS and print serving is all configured on the first connection and therefore unavailable to users/services on the second connection.

My goal is to utilise the available capacity of both connections but at the same time allowing all network resources (file and printer sharing, NAS drives, etc.) to be available jointly to all network clients.

My first router is a Netgear RangeMax ADSL modem/wireless router (DG834PN). This connects directly to one ISP and has the NAS and printers attached. The second router is a Netgear N600 wireless dual band router (WNDR3400) which attaches to a Linksys ADSL 2 Gateway with 4-port switch (AG241 v2) and then to the second ISP.

As an aside, I also have a number of Devolo devices for utilising the electrical circuit for networking purposes. I have a dLAN 200 AVmini adapter connected to the RangeMax router with 2 further dLAN 200 AVmini adapters and a dLAN 200 AV wireless N adapter distributed through my house.

Can you advise how, or indeed if, I can achieve my goal of genuinely sharing the 2 available ISP circuits?

there is no cheap and easy way to do this.

If you really want to do this, here is what need to happen.

you will need to replace the RangeMax with a regular DSL modem (check with the ISP about compatible modems)

next you will need a Dual WAN router which will connect to the modem and the Linksys AG241.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124160&cm_re=dual_wan_router-_-33-124-160-_-Product

next you need to configure the RangeMax as an AP (Access Point) to keep you NAS and printer working. change the IP to 192.168.1.252, disable the DHCP, and if you wont to turn off the wireless.

the Netgear N600 should work the way it is configured.

now connect both Netgear router to the Dual WAN router via one of their four LAN ports. the remaining LAN ports on the Netgear routers will work like a network switch.

The Dual WAN router can be configured to merge the DSLs or in fall back mode

Mathuc

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
The best way to do this is with a DUAL WAN router. The ZyXEL ZyWALL USG50 looks to be just the thing I have been looking for, and will be using it.