Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First build

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 14, 2012 11:50:21 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: the closer the better but flexible
Budget Range: 1350
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Parts Not Required:keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon

Country: USA

Parts Preferences: prefer Nvidia GPU

Overclocking:Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC and also good temperature levels



This is my first build. I mainly play Starcraft 2 and plan to play Diablo 3. Probably also try BF3. If there is something you would change to make it better/cheaper, what would you recommend? I dont plan to SLI but is 750W too much for a single set up? Should i wait for the I5 Ivy Bridge since its releasing real soon? Please let me know all parts are compatible. Thanks.

Gigabyte Intel Z68 Micro ATX LGA 1155 Motherboard (GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3)
TP-Link TL-WN951N 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter Offered by MYeHUT Inc
MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC Graphics Card by MSI Computer Corp.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack t
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM
Cooler Master GX Series 750W ATX Power Supply RS750-ACAAE3-US
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800 1600mHz DDR3 240-Pin SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B highesthighmediumlowlowest
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 128 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD Desktop Kit with Norton Ghost 15
Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case Offered

More about : build

Best solution

April 15, 2012 12:16:10 AM

Get the UD3H. It is much better as it is full ATX. Also, get a better case like the HAF 912.
Share
April 15, 2012 12:25:08 AM

Looks good.

With gaming the GPU is more important than the CPU nine times out of ten. I would roll back the CPU, and put more into the GPU. Then again, GPU's have serious diminishing returns problems.

In that vein, the CPU heatsink probably isn't necessary. Your bottleneck will be the GPU unless you play a lot of Supreme Commander. Overclocking your CPU will not earn you any frames per second.

When you inevitably run benchmarks you will see that the CPU reaches 50% capacity, and the GPU is used to 90-100% capacity.

My specs:
Thermaltake Level 10 GT LCS - Case, and pump/reservoir (great case, bad pump/reservoir)
CORE I5 2400 3.1G 6M R - CPU
EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX680 - GPU
PSU RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R - PSU
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM - RAM
MB MSI P67A-G45 (B3) P67 LGA1155 R - Motherboard
Black Ice GT Stealth 240 X-Flow - Radiator
EK-FC680 GTX - Water Block
m
0
l
Related resources
April 15, 2012 12:29:00 AM

azeem40 said:
Get the UD3H. It is much better as it is full ATX. Also, get a better case like the HAF 912.



Two schools of thought with cases:
1) Get a ****ty looking case, so that the computer is not a target of theft
2) Get a sturdy and reliable case as it will last through multiple computer upgrades

Beyond that you want good airflow. Usually an intake fan on the front and side, and a couple of exhausts on the back. Keep in mind the PSU usually acts as an exhaust.

Full ATX is nice (I have one). It's huge, and allows for excellent cable management. But it's costlier and ... huge. Difficult to place conveniently for some people.
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 12:42:23 AM

jrpatton said:
Looks good.

With gaming the GPU is more important than the CPU nine times out of ten. I would roll back the CPU, and put more into the GPU. Then again, GPU's have serious diminishing returns problems.

In that vein, the CPU heatsink probably isn't necessary. Your bottleneck will be the GPU unless you play a lot of Supreme Commander. Overclocking your CPU will not earn you any frames per second.

When you inevitably run benchmarks you will see that the CPU reaches 50% capacity, and the GPU is used to 90-100% capacity.

My specs:
Thermaltake Level 10 GT LCS - Case, and pump/reservoir (great case, bad pump/reservoir)
CORE I5 2400 3.1G 6M R - CPU
EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX680 - GPU
PSU RAIDMAX 850W RX-850AE R - PSU
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM - RAM
MB MSI P67A-G45 (B3) P67 LGA1155 R - Motherboard
Black Ice GT Stealth 240 X-Flow - Radiator
EK-FC680 GTX - Water Block


What GPU would you suggest?


m
0
l
April 15, 2012 12:48:12 AM

jrpatton said:
Two schools of thought with cases:
1) Get a ****ty looking case, so that the computer is not a target of theft
2) Get a sturdy and reliable case as it will last through multiple computer upgrades

Beyond that you want good airflow. Usually an intake fan on the front and side, and a couple of exhausts on the back. Keep in mind the PSU usually acts as an exhaust.

Full ATX is nice (I have one). It's huge, and allows for excellent cable management. But it's costlier and ... huge. Difficult to place conveniently for some people.

I doubt he is going to change anything just because someone thinks it looks shitty.
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 1:16:56 AM

azeem40 said:
Get the UD3H. It is much better as it is full ATX. Also, get a better case like the HAF 912.

+1, I see people buying Micros all the time and it kills me(unless it's a LAN)
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 1:18:47 AM

jrpatton said:
Two schools of thought with cases:
1) Get a ****ty looking case, so that the computer is not a target of theft
2) Get a sturdy and reliable case as it will last through multiple computer upgrades

Beyond that you want good airflow. Usually an intake fan on the front and side, and a couple of exhausts on the back. Keep in mind the PSU usually acts as an exhaust.

Full ATX is nice (I have one). It's huge, and allows for excellent cable management. But it's costlier and ... huge. Difficult to place conveniently for some people.

Why would someone steal his computer?
m
0
l
April 15, 2012 2:23:12 AM

I took some advice from the replies. Case has been changed to HAF 912 and Low Profile Ram. I want to stick with Nvidia cards. Should I get a 560 Ti 448 core instead?

Gigabyte Intel Z68 Micro ATX LGA 1155 Motherboard (GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3)
TP-Link TL-WN951N 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter Offered by MYeHUT Inc
MSI N570GTX Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC Graphics Card by MSI Computer Corp.
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack t
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM
Cooler Master GX Series 750W ATX Power Supply RS750-ACAAE3-US
Corsair 8 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240-pin Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit 8 Dual Channel Kit - CML8GX3M2A1600C9B -
Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B highesthighmediumlowlowest
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)
Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 128 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD Desktop Kit with Norton Ghost 15
HAF 912
m
0
l
April 18, 2012 8:58:49 PM

BuBzXXL said:
Why would someone steal his computer?


If someone breaks into his house, and sees a giant glowing computer, they will steal it.
m
0
l
April 19, 2012 1:15:54 AM

dish_moose said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or any Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair you can find
212 Evo for the cooler - slightly better
Antec 302 for a case - sensible choice
Make sure the ram is low profile to fit under the cooler DDR3 1600MHz 1.5V
And maybe an HD7870/50 - newer more efficient
-Bruce
Edit - also not a big fan of micro ATX

I decided to go for 7870 since its newer. I have until next week when ivy bridge releases. Hope the other 600 series come out from nvidia then.
m
0
l
April 29, 2012 12:26:07 AM

Best answer selected by thecons.
m
0
l
!