Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
For the past few days my computer was blue-screening and I was following the steps to resolve the problem from Windows support and it was resolved,but the next day I was browsing and it did it again. This time I restarted the computer and a error occurred,'a disk read error'. Now,I'm kinda of a novice when it comes to problems with computers,but I figured it was a problem with the hard drive. I'm not sure if it is,but can anyone help me fix this?

If it's needed,I have a backup hard drive that's 130GB. My current hard drive has a lot of things such as,games,music,txt documents,ect.,that I do not want to lose. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

cl-scott

Honorable
It does indeed sound like your HDD went south on you. You can try putting it into an external enclosure to grab what you can from it, but I would not get my hopes up on that. You will need to decide if it is worth the money to send the drive to a recovery service. Most decide the data is not that important when they see the price.

This is usually what it takes to impress upon people the importance of making regular backups of anything you would not want to lose. So that 130GB drive you mention might make for an excellent backup source once you get your system back up and going again.

Anthony1025

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011

So,how do I get it running again? Replace the HDD? Also,what if my computer is under a warranty? I had to it custom built and I still have the warranty. Could they repair it?