vivicyde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Hello, I am not tech savvy AT ALL.

So I bought skyrim recently and it kept crashing. I assumed it was just the new game, but my Skyrim STILL crashes, and I've recently discovered that now ALL my games do, and all of them in the same way. I'll be playing, then the screen goes black for 2-3 seconds, (sometimes the game recovers, sometimes not) and then it just takes me straight to desktop. I get a popup saying something has stopped working and has recovered, and I'm trying to find the exact message for you guys so that you can help me, but now that I actually WANT a game to crash, none of them seem to cooperate -_-

Here are my specs

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor 3.40GHz

RAM: 4 Gigabytes

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Does this happen more during the most graphic intense gaming, or does it seem unrelated to the intensity (and length of time) of the play?

Do you have adequate cooling? It might be worth downloading coretemp and using your nvidia software to monitor temps in both CPU and GPU.

Also - what kind of power supply is running this rig?

vivicyde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I believe it tends to happen more during the most graphic intensive areas... Like in Skyrim, it usually happens when I'm in huge wilderness areas.

I'm not sure if this helps, but on the side of my power supply it says "ECO-ELEMENT 750W High Efficiency PSU."

AC Input 100-240 V 10 A 50/60Hz

DC Output +3.3V/25A,+5V/25A, +12V1/30A, +12V2/30A, -12V/0.3A, +5Vsb/2.5A Total 750W

If your temps check out i say its your psu. Generix psus tend to not output the power they claim and.also break down faster

vivicyde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Core temp and MSi Afterburner are confusing.

Core temp says at the bottom,
Temperature Readings:
Tj.Max: 79*C
CPU#0: 47*C Min 45*C Max 52*C

(Do you need more information?)

MSi Afterburner says on the side,

GPU temperature, *C

Fan speed, %
Min:30 Max:30

Core clock, MHz
Min: 301 Max: 301

Shader clock, MHz
Min:602 Max:602

Memory clock, MHz
Min: 100 Max: 100

vivicyde

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Ok I left the programs running while playing skyrim in windowed mode, and set it to ultra graphics...

My GPU's max temperature says 71*C
CPU's max temp says 59*C

thank you for all the help so far.

Also, the areas where the GPU seemed to run 68-70*C were outside in open areas like I said... But it pretty much always stayed above 65*C

The CPU seemed to randomly increase and decrease temperature... No patterns that I noticed

So what does any of this tell me?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Ideally they should both stay in the 50s, but 70 also doesn't seem high enough to cause crashes. The final step I would take before discounting temp is to play for a day or so with the side of your case open -- see if it makes a difference with the crashing.

If not, (and as I initially suspected) I would guess that the PSU was involved --but thats all it is, a guess. I don't really have advice for another test to be certain before trying another PSU. A few good PSU brands: Seasonic, Corsair, Antec.

EDIT: You have all the latest Nvidia drivers, right?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

My CPU runs in the 30s and my GPU in the 40s. But then again maybe I just have really good stuff :)

Well we have 2 PSUs, any other ideas?