Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade Old GPU or Old CPU?

Last response: in Components
July 27, 2012 7:29:48 PM

Hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade a computer I build back in 2007 so I can play some of the more recent games. The comp runs great for most of the things I use it for on Windows 7 64 and Ubuntu so I would prefer not having to replace all the main components. My current config is :

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
Intel BOXD975XBX2KR mobo (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
GeForce 8800 GTS
600W PS
4GB mem

I'm thinking of a new video card, but I don't know if the rest of the system is worth it or whether a full upgrade of the cpu, mobo,video card and memory is just inevitable. I hoped to save some money by just going with the video card, but then I see most of the new cards are PCI-e 2.0 and my mobo only has 1.0 - would that have a significant effect on performance? Any advice welcome!

More about : upgrade gpu cpu

a c 109 U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 7:30:45 PM

I'd upgrade everything, but what is your budget?
July 27, 2012 7:39:41 PM

For right now i'd be willing to do around $200, but if its not worth upgrading one or two of the components then I'd just save for a couple months and do a full upgrade in the winter or something with 6-7ish. I don't need top of the line so I'm hoping that would cover it!
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 27, 2012 8:01:08 PM

You are going to need an upgrade on both of them in the near future.
Just from a logistics standpoint I'd say go for the CPU/Mobo/RAM. For about $200 you can pick up an i3, H61 Mobo, and 8 Gb of RAM.
Then you'd have the system set up and ready to go when you pop in a GTX 660/560 Ti or a Radeon 7850 in a few months.
July 27, 2012 8:02:36 PM

Got a budget PC in my sig for almost under $500. I'm with amuffin, you really dont want to upgrade any of that stuff because none of it is compatible with new stuff, except maybe the PSU and the case.
July 27, 2012 8:08:44 PM

Alright thanks for the advice everybody. Sounds like a complete upgrade may be more in my price range than I thought (been a while since I've done this if you cant tell). Have a good weekend!
July 27, 2012 9:20:27 PM

ram your fine i have 8gb and barely use 3 games say you need like 4 recommended but they are taking into account you have a load of background *** which i still do but use only 3 :S and ide upgrade the cpu personally first as core 2's they just bottleneck like a little bitch but if you can save $300 maybe buy some cheapish motherboard an amd fx 4100 and an amd radeon hd 6850 yeah the fx isnt the best but its cheap and will run all games easy i have the 6100 and the 6850 the 6850 is amazing for the price running all games on max :D 
July 29, 2012 9:50:09 PM

rorysory said:
ram your fine i have 8gb and barely use 3 games say you need like 4 recommended but they are taking into account you have a load of background *** which i still do but use only 3 :S and ide upgrade the cpu personally first as core 2's they just bottleneck like a little bitch but if you can save $300 maybe buy some cheapish motherboard an amd fx 4100 and an amd radeon hd 6850 yeah the fx isnt the best but its cheap and will run all games easy i have the 6100 and the 6850 the 6850 is amazing for the price running all games on max :D 

he will need a set of ram also if he is upgrading mobo because his mobo is ddr2 and unless he can find a ddr2 mobo with am3+(which isn't likely) he will need ddr3 memory( not too much money though you can get a set of 8 for like 60 $. The rest i agree with though :D 
!