Just want to make sure I get right cooler

gregmc311

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
I have an old desktop and the cpu is overheating. I want to replace the fan and heatsink but I don't really want to spend a whole lot since it is about 7 years old. It's a screw in mount for the cooler, so I am wondering if any screw in mount will work or are there subtle differences I need to be aware of? The stock cooler is a coolermaster cm12v and has a four pin plug that connects to the motherboard.

Also somewhat related, I bought a new power supply to run my graphics card and there are so many extra cables that it really restricts airflow. The problem is that plugs I need to power my components are almost all daisy-chained to other unwanted cables. I want to just cut them off and add some electrical tape to the ends or a wire nut, but I don't know if anyone has had issues with doing that or if there is something I might be missing in doing that such as a reserve power in the power supply that could shock even thought it would be unplugged. Just any general advice would be good for both issues. My info:

Windows XP
Intel pentium D 775 socket
ASUS P5LP-LE mobo
HP m7357c computer

gregmc311

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Great, here are some pictures of my cables, I don't think cable ties will do much good since they are so thick

IMG_20120726_222405.jpg

IMG_20120726_222358.jpg