Just want to make sure I get right cooler

I have an old desktop and the cpu is overheating. I want to replace the fan and heatsink but I don't really want to spend a whole lot since it is about 7 years old. It's a screw in mount for the cooler, so I am wondering if any screw in mount will work or are there subtle differences I need to be aware of? The stock cooler is a coolermaster cm12v and has a four pin plug that connects to the motherboard.

Also somewhat related, I bought a new power supply to run my graphics card and there are so many extra cables that it really restricts airflow. The problem is that plugs I need to power my components are almost all daisy-chained to other unwanted cables. I want to just cut them off and add some electrical tape to the ends or a wire nut, but I don't know if anyone has had issues with doing that or if there is something I might be missing in doing that such as a reserve power in the power supply that could shock even thought it would be unplugged. Just any general advice would be good for both issues. My info:

Windows XP
Intel pentium D 775 socket
HP m7357c computer
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about just make cooler
  1. The wires that you plug into components are 12VDC maximum, but draw high current.
    You can buy cable ties to tie unwanted cables together.
  2. Sounds good, but my original has a copper insert, would you suggest getting copper instead of aluminum?
  3. Best answer
  4. Great, here are some pictures of my cables, I don't think cable ties will do much good since they are so thick

5. There's probably not much to be done, was just wondering if there was a safe way to cut them out. Thanks for the help, I consider my problems solved.
  6. Best answer selected by gregmc311.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Cooling Components Product