Sign in with
Your question

New fans now PC won't boot

Last response: in Systems
April 15, 2012 2:28:27 AM

Hello, first post here. Ran into this a awesome site looking for a solution to my problem. I had installed an antec 25 Kuhler h2o 620 radiator fan. My tower is kind of small so the whole thing would not even fit properly and shouldve stopped there. I had crammed it in and installed the radiator onto the motherboard/processor And replaced the stock fan. I plugged back the power supply and bam! Power runs through, fans work like they were supposed to do, and all lights inside tower go off and good to go. It just seems like anything connected won't seem to turn on, including the display.

I have an AMD Phenom II X6 1045T Processor and 8gb of ram. I'll be honest, I had no idea what I was doing to begin with, all I wanted to do was overclock my pc. Now Ill be happy to even have my PC run. Is there anything I can do? Like just buying a new part or is it not that simple?

If it helps. Before I replugged the power supply, I heard and felt a click like one would hear/feel when they plug something a bit off on an outlet. First time I had the new fan running. Second time I had installed the stock fans, and the third time I had reinstalled the kuhler h20 620 and the fan wouldn't turn on. Also a note, I was playing with the processor checking to see if the IHS was soldered on or not, wanting to remove it and failed scratching the board a bit with my blade, not sure if that matters or not .

Thank for the help

More about : fans boot

a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 3:13:25 AM

I think you may have had some power connector loosen up, and fall out. Check all of your power connections again.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 3:55:27 AM

If you have a grounding issue then your PSU might be tripping some protection circuitry so won't start.

Recheck all your connections carefully.

Disable anything absolutely not needed to turn on the PC including the DVD drive and hard drives, even non-essential fans.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 5:48:07 AM

Not to be insulting, but I have to ask the most basic question: you have the Kuhler properly plugged into the fan controller on the motherboard, right? Not just into the power supply? If I remember right from mine there were multiple parts to the cable...
m
l
April 15, 2012 6:59:06 AM

deadlockedworld said:
Not to be insulting, but I have to ask the most basic question: you have the Kuhler properly plugged into the fan controller on the motherboard, right? Not just into the power supply? If I remember right from mine there were multiple parts to the cable...

Yes of course, what it is is that one cable you connect the fan/radiator with the copper plated piece, that attaches onto the motherboard, and the copper plated part plugged into the power supply found on the motherboard.

So if everyone is saying check into my PSU, I'll do that first thing in morning. Just is there some awesome thread to look at when looking around in there? Again I have no idea what I'm doing. I used search but the results I found was too much, too overwhelming to find the best reference.

FYI, the room I installed the fan in is not grounded, so I made sure to not touch anything I didn't need to touch, and work naked. :sarcastic: 

And quick question. How do I disable unneeded drives such as the DVD drives?

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 1:24:17 PM

Unplug them...

Anyway, you're talking about case fans, right? So what do you mean by the "room I installed the fan in is not grounded"?
m
l
April 15, 2012 4:03:39 PM

ddan49 said:
Unplug them...

Anyway, you're talking about case fans, right? So what do you mean by the "room I installed the fan in is not grounded"?

Errr so I just open the case that's behind the drives and unplug then? Okay, gotcha.

I mean, as far as I know the room I was working on the pc in is not grounded...

Anyways, am I better off doing this myself, or should I send it to a computer store/geek squad and tell them my issues? Just been contiplating those issues.

FYI, it's a case fan, radiator, and a copper plated pump. What the kuhler h20 620 is is that it is an all-in-one type of cooling system.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 4:14:33 PM

I don't think it's possible to ground a room. While building, just slap the case every now and then to avoid static discharge. I think you should try the stuff we suggested, and if that doesn't work, you may want to walk into a computer shop and have them go over your build, checking that everything's done right. Hopefully they won't charge you. If you bought any of your parts locally, then go to that shop because they will be more friendly. If you walk into a shop with parts you didn't buy from them, I don't know how friendly they'll be...
m
l
April 15, 2012 5:42:21 PM

ddan49 said:
I don't think it's possible to ground a room. While building, just slap the case every now and then to avoid static discharge. I think you should try the stuff we suggested, and if that doesn't work, you may want to walk into a computer shop and have them go over your build, checking that everything's done right. Hopefully they won't charge you. If you bought any of your parts locally, then go to that shop because they will be more friendly. If you walk into a shop with parts you didn't buy from them, I don't know how friendly they'll be...

Yup, just finised checking my powersupply, everything but the disk drive is plugged in. Nothing happened. Just the computer powered on like it has been. Everything seems good like it's supposed to, just anything plugged in including PS/2, USB, and HDMI is not recognized by the PC. I even let it run without the fans and let it heat it, and it turned off to protect the processor like it was supposed to. I'm stumped...

Hahaha, thank you for advice, Ill go to bestbuy because that's where I bought the cooling system.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 5:51:31 PM

Oh, Best Buy has good tech support, I think! Hopefully they know what they're doing... Best Buy advertises that they do.
m
l
April 15, 2012 5:56:25 PM

ddan49 said:
Oh, Best Buy has good tech support, I think! Hopefully they know what they're doing... Best Buy advertises that they do.

Don't go to Best Buy's, they over charge (look it up) there tech is HORRIBLE. It's possible the fan slots are DOA on the motherboard.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 5:59:46 PM

Oh. I have never used tech support :/ 

Do you have any small computer shops? They'll generally try harder to compete with Best Buy, and small businesses always offer quality work, because it's the only leverage against corporations! I'm sure they'll be even happier to help if you buy an anti-static wrist strap or something from them.
m
l
April 15, 2012 6:36:32 PM

I doubt the fan slots are DOA, Currently I have the stock fans reinstalled.

Okay so everyone is saying Bestbuy tech support sucks (kinda explains how my friend works for geek squad and barely knows the terminology) I do have a local computer shop. They don't open till tomorrow, I'll just look up some other shops. Thanks guys...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 6:45:09 PM

No problem! Tech support is pretty difficult over the internet... someone who's actually there will probably be able to help you out more!
m
l
April 15, 2012 7:47:50 PM

Sucks that it is a Sunday and most shops are closed. Currently looking for an open shop that is still open in the afternoon...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2012 11:44:22 PM

Good luck. Sorry we cant help.
m
l
April 16, 2012 3:15:35 AM

Okay so I went to go get my computer checked out and the guy said it possibly is the motherboard as he sees there is nothing wrong with the PSU. So before he did anything, he suggested that since my desktop is still under it's warranty, that I should call HP, and that I ship them back my PC. Now if I take out and keep the hard drive, will that omit the warranty. Also, will they investigate any of my doings?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2012 4:08:13 AM

Er... what have you been "doing"? It sort of depends... if they see saliva all over the place, they'll know they didn't ship it to you that way.
m
l
April 16, 2012 4:43:19 PM

Haha, not much, just thermal paste on the inside, I'm a sloppy worker.
m
l
April 16, 2012 5:19:14 PM

Breadboard test the pc.

(1 by 1 install components)

Also try resetting CMOS.
m
l
April 16, 2012 10:10:17 PM

akamrcrack said:
Breadboard test the pc.

(1 by 1 install components)

Also try resetting CMOS.

I actually did that over the phone with the manufacturer tech support. I had a little trouble putting back my RAM, and somehow made my motherboard worse. Now the PC won't even respond to turning on. Again, thank goodness this is under warranty.

Shhhh, don't tell... :whistle: 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2012 10:18:10 PM

As long as you just put some thermal paste on yourself, you should be fine. It doesn't void the warranty (or it's not supposed to...). I don't think they'll do an all-out investigation, but if they see anything strange, they might call you to find out what's going on.
m
l
!