Radeon X1900 XT in MacPro problem with Samsung monitor

louploup

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
CPU = MacPro dual core Xeon 3 GHz. Bought used, works fine. Bought Samsung 2430HD with 1920 x 1080 resolution to run as main monitor. AMD Radeon =
Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x7249
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-A52027-202
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.202

Problem: The Samsung does not handle the signal from the ATI properly; it displays all 1920 x 1080, but it compresses the left side of the screen by about an inch and a half. So, aside from wasting 10% of my screen territory, all circles/images/everything are a bit vertically ovoid/compressed. Video works OK. Sure would be nice if it worked properly...

I'm using an older Acer FP563 (1024 x 768) as a second monitor. Symptoms are not corrected by switching monitor plugs on card. Or by removing Acer.

Samsung displays properly on my MacBook. I've repaired permissions, reset PRAM, tried booting off another hard drive. Still leaves left side blank. If I go down to lower resolution, it fills screen (but looks crappy). Samsung support was not helpful.

louploup

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

The monitor has lots of on screen controls. I was able to move the image a little, but not fill the blank screen territory on the left side. The manual (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LS24PTNSF/ZA) is pretty good, but "horizontal control" like we used to have on old TVs is not part of the deal. Monitor is set properly at 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz.

Monitor does have self test, and it shows image perfectly, indicating problem is in driving device (i.e., Radeon graphics card). Also the screen works fine with a DVD player I have and with MacBook, which presumably has less powerful graphics than the RadeonX1900.

Thanks for suggestion: This is one of the most mysterious problems I've ever encountered.

The screen adjustment is out of the picture, usually. I've seen it on LCDs but it's been on pretty pricy monitors. The auto adjust button has always worked for me to shift an image back in to position. Another thing you may try, do a factory reset on the monitor, should be an option in the on screen controls.

cmsdesigner

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Hello,

I'm having the same problem with the same graphics card and a samsung monitor - black bars on either side.
Did you find a solution to this? Quick reply would be appreciated. Thank you