Power Supply Wiring Cause of Overheating?

zex_vex55

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I've been having an overheating issue and its only become apparently recently when I've realized my computers performance has been dropping.

I check my temperatures and it seems to be the issue, as my GPU Temp is in the 50s/60s and all my cores are in the 90s, celsius.

My specs are so follows:

Intel i-5 2400
nvidia gtx 560
Windows 7 32 bit, 4gm ram.
Biostar H61MGC Motherboard
Cooler Master Elite 430 Case
700 W Corsair PSU

I have 5 case fans, 2 top and 1 rear exhause, along with 1 front and 1 side intake.
I reapplied my thermal paste onto my processor and the problem still persists.

Could it be a wiring issue? My case seems fairly cluttered mainly because of the wires, all the wires and surrounded in net-like fabric, which makes the wires 2x bigger than what they should be. Heres a picture of how the wires look:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-VX450W-Power-Supply-Review/540(scroll down just a bit)

My question, would it be okay to remove the black netting around the wires or would that be harmful to my computer? I can't think of much else that would cause the overheating other than buying a larger case.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
edit: I need to learn to read

Those GPU temps aren't too bad but your CPU temps are far too high

I suggest you replace the paste on the cooler first (again, with good stuff)

I don't advise removing the netting, that's usually not a good idea. You may want to check your fans to make sure that your airflow is appropriately balanced.

Also, check for firmware updates. 90 degrees is extremely hot even for the worst cooled cases, it could be misreading the thermal diode. Don't use any third party software unless you're certain that the setup's internal thermal monitoring is reporting the same data first.
G

some cable management; using some zip ties to pull the wire out of the way is a better choice then removing the netting.

edit: I need to learn to read

Those GPU temps aren't too bad but your CPU temps are far too high

I suggest you replace the paste on the cooler first (again, with good stuff)

I don't advise removing the netting, that's usually not a good idea. You may want to check your fans to make sure that your airflow is appropriately balanced.

Also, check for firmware updates. 90 degrees is extremely hot even for the worst cooled cases, it could be misreading the thermal diode. Don't use any third party software unless you're certain that the setup's internal thermal monitoring is reporting the same data first.

Solution

bassejepsen

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

If that is without load and not overclocked, it is not a cable management problem, but rather the CPU cooler not working as it should.

The most likely cause of your problem is a poorly mounted cpu cooler.

The graphics temperatures are normal, the cpu temp is not.

If you are using the stock Intel pushpin mounted cooler, then look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all of the pins are fully through and locked.

PSU wires will not be the issue.

zex_vex55

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Thanks for all the replies!

While checking the pins and the cooler I found that the yellow cable from the cooler was tangled in the fan... in such a way that it was impossible to get the chords all next to eachother like they normally are. So in order to fix it i have to gather up the yellow chord and use a tie to tie them in a way that they dont interfere with the fan. The processor fan wasn't even spinning.

After fixing that, my temperatures are now in the 40s. Thanks for all the input! Led me to checking my processor and realizing the problem.

I actually used Automotive wire protectors in my old PC, worked wonderfully for keeping the PCIe power cables together along with front panel connectors, etc... Forget zip ties, it looked like it was straight out of Star Trek

G

[flash=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/7ZWaWrvJ7nA[/flash]