Adorama vs B&H

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 20, 2005 1:22:14 PM

Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
This is from reseller ratings:

Adorama
http://www.adorama.com
Customer Satisfaction
Six-Month Rating: 3.75 Six-Month Reviews: 40

Lifetime Reviews: 143

Lifetime Rating: 6.21 Average Store: 7.34
High Average: 9.04
Low Average: 3.41

6.41 Pricing of Products and Services
3.17 Likelihood of Future Purchases
3.63 Shipping and Packaging
2.41 Customer Service
2.19 Return or Replacement

------------------------

B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio
http://www.bhphotovideo.com
Customer Satisfaction
Six-Month Rating: 8.77 Six-Month Reviews: 216

Lifetime Reviews: 705

Lifetime Rating: 8.82 Average Store: 7.34
High Average: 9.04
Low Average: 3.41

6.97 Pricing of Products and Services
8.08 Likelihood of Future Purchases
8.26 Shipping and Packaging
7.40 Customer Service
7.50 Return or Replacement

More about : adorama

Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:43:16 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:22:14 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
>Anybody had trouble with Adorama?

I've had no problem with Adorama but I prefer B&H because their S&H is more
resonable and their service hasn't failed me yet.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:14:39 PM

"Bill Spanger" <k7kkg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:p esdb1hqkibfispqiq11ap59bkjcv0af0b@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:22:14 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
> wrote:
>>Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
>
> I've had no problem with Adorama but I prefer B&H because their S&H is
> more
> resonable and their service hasn't failed me yet.

Same here. Sometimes I can get a better price from Adorama, but B&H seems
to have more stock and they ship very quickly.
June 20, 2005 3:33:01 PM

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?

I don't know why Adorama has a rep that isn't sterling. I have never
***personally*** known anyone to have a problem at Adorama. Only here on the
net do I see and hear these things.

I have bought from both for more than 20 years and actually see little
difference between the two other than:

1) Adorama is usually a little less expensive
2) Adorama, because they are a little less expensive, seem to be out of
stock a bit more frequently than B&H

Some things to consider:

1) If you ask if the equipment is in stock you will almost always get an
honest answer from either shop.
2) I have had credit card and personal info with both stores for years and
to date it has been safe (no strange charges on the cards they have on
file).

I'd buy from either without concern. And I generally differentiate between
the two based upon nothing more than price and availability.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 5:13:06 PM

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?

I've bought lenses from both locations with no problems. However, be
prepared to talk to Myer if you buy from Adorama. He'll send you an email
asking you to call and when you do he'll try to sell you a "better deal" or
extended warranty or substitute brand names or something of the sort. If
you don't know how or don't like dealing with this sort of thing use B&H. I
was prepared and actually found it amusing. Ol' Myer fit the pushy New York
sale person stereotype perfectly.

--

Rob
Anonymous

Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:

> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>
>>Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
>

> I've bought lenses from both locations with no problems. However, be
> prepared to talk to Myer if you buy from Adorama. He'll send you an email
> asking you to call and when you do he'll try to sell you a "better deal" or
> extended warranty or substitute brand names or something of the sort. If
> you don't know how or don't like dealing with this sort of thing use B&H. I
> was prepared and actually found it amusing. Ol' Myer fit the pushy New York
> sale person stereotype perfectly.

B&H didn't have the lens I wanted. Yeah, he emailed me because I
intentionally ordered a memory card that was out of stock. I went ahead
& switched to a cheaper available card, I wasn't so confident in my
original descision anyways. A step-up ring with Adorama branding turned
out real cheap & hard to un-thread from my lens.

The reseller ratings are pretty bad, it seems they used to have a better
reputation but it's gone down recently. I was recommending someone shop
there & was surprised when they showed me the ratings. He's not going to
touch them with a 10 foot pole after reading those. Other than rude &
not so competent salespeople, it seems there are cases of people
ordering stuff that turns out to be backordered for weeks, poor
packaging, mixed up orders but at least not the outright bait & switch
of the real sleazy places.

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

> Robert R Kircher, Jr. wrote:
>
>> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
>>

>> I've bought lenses from both locations with no problems. However, be
>> prepared to talk to Myer if you buy from Adorama. He'll send you an
>> email asking you to call and when you do he'll try to sell you a "better
>> deal" or extended warranty or substitute brand names or something of the
>> sort. If you don't know how or don't like dealing with this sort of
>> thing use B&H. I was prepared and actually found it amusing. Ol' Myer
>> fit the pushy New York sale person stereotype perfectly.
>
> B&H didn't have the lens I wanted. Yeah, he emailed me because I
> intentionally ordered a memory card that was out of stock. I went ahead &
> switched to a cheaper available card, I wasn't so confident in my original
> descision anyways. A step-up ring with Adorama branding turned out real
> cheap & hard to un-thread from my lens.
>
> The reseller ratings are pretty bad, it seems they used to have a better
> reputation but it's gone down recently. I was recommending someone shop
> there & was surprised when they showed me the ratings. He's not going to
> touch them with a 10 foot pole after reading those. Other than rude & not
> so competent salespeople, it seems there are cases of people ordering
> stuff that turns out to be backordered for weeks, poor packaging, mixed up
> orders but at least not the outright bait & switch of the real sleazy
> places.

Again I can only speak from my experience which other then Myer has been
good. I bought an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens along with filters
and I also bought my mother a Canon Powershot S70 and all the trimming.
Both orders were delivered in a timely manner and although pushy Myer was
polite. He caught on very early that I was on to him and laughed about it
as he was trying to sell me this and that.

With that said, I prefer B&H. No pushy sales person calling and a damn good
selection at a very competitive price.

--

Rob
Anonymous

For years I bought 35mm equipment from both, and found them about the same.

There isn't much reason today to buy digital stuff from any NYC dealer as
far as I can see, except for some lenses and accessories (especially
brand-specific) that may be hard to find outside of the big camera stores.

For digital cameras generally, online sellers like BuyDig.com and some
others are in my experience just as reliable as Adorama or B&H ever were,
ship as fast or faster and their prices are usually much better. Also you
avoid the curtness and often downright rudeness that is so characteristic of
New York camera salesmen. I think they have to get a passing grade in Bad
Manners 101 before they are permitted to talk to a customer on the phone.
It's a city ordinance or something.

N.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:09:50 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:09:49 -0400, "Nostrobino" <not@home.today>
wrote:

>For years I bought 35mm equipment from both, and found them about the same.
>
>There isn't much reason today to buy digital stuff from any NYC dealer as
>far as I can see, except for some lenses and accessories (especially
>brand-specific) that may be hard to find outside of the big camera stores.
>
>For digital cameras generally, online sellers like BuyDig.com and some
>others are in my experience just as reliable as Adorama or B&H ever were,
>ship as fast or faster and their prices are usually much better. Also you
>avoid the curtness and often downright rudeness that is so characteristic of
>New York camera salesmen. I think they have to get a passing grade in Bad
>Manners 101 before they are permitted to talk to a customer on the phone.
>It's a city ordinance or something.

Why are you talking to them on the phone? I just do it on line with
B&H and have never spoken to them. Just ordered a Canon 135mm f/2.0L
yesterday never spoke to a soul and it's shipped today.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:09:51 PM

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Why are you talking to them on the phone? I just do it on line with
> B&H and have never spoken to them. Just ordered a Canon 135mm f/2.0L
> yesterday never spoke to a soul and it's shipped today.

Some of my online purchases ended up backordered, but I have never had that
happen (without prior knowledge) when I have ordered on the phone. So for me
it is a matter of knowing, to the greatest extent I can, that the item is in
stock and available for shipment.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 8:54:38 PM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:31:12 -0600, "Ross Garrett"
<frederickrossgarrett@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>> Why are you talking to them on the phone? I just do it on line with
>> B&H and have never spoken to them. Just ordered a Canon 135mm f/2.0L
>> yesterday never spoke to a soul and it's shipped today.
>
>Some of my online purchases ended up backordered, but I have never had that
>happen (without prior knowledge) when I have ordered on the phone. So for me
>it is a matter of knowing, to the greatest extent I can, that the item is in
>stock and available for shipment.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:12:11 PM

Some of you may enjoy this. About 23 years ago my house near Hartford,
Ct., was broken into and my Olympus SLR and many associated lenses, as
well as a movie camera, were stolen. My insurance company gave me a
thousand bucks, which I turned into travelers checks, and I hit Amtrak
for Adorama, which in those days was located near Penn Station in a
walkup, and from which I purchased odd equipment over the years without
a problem.

When I got the attention of a sales guy I said I wanted to purchase a
Pentax ME Super and 1.4 lens, a Tokina ATX zoom and an F2.0 28mm wide
angle prime. The salesman disappeared into the back and came back with
a price somewhere around $1,000. I then took out my wad of travelers
checks and said that he could have them all right then and there (no
Amex credit card hassles or charges) if he threw in an extra ME Super
body. He scratched his head and seemed to think that was preposterous,
at which point I turned around and headed for the door. "Wait a minute,
sir," was the inevitable call. He then allowed as how he could probably
do that, whereupon I said, "and how about a case?" He disappeared into
the back and came out this pile of stuff, including a very nice camera
bag. We loaded my equipment into the case and a couple of plastic bags,
I gave him the money and he returned a salute.

Incidentally, everything was under US warranty and the ATX and Kiron
lens are working just fine on my new Oly E-300. Sadly, my cat pissed on
the 1.4 lens quite awhile ago, but one can't have everything. Needless
to say, though I buy now from B&H I do have a soft spot for Adorama, as
well as for J&R, which has provided excellent service on electronics
over the years.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:41:37 PM

I've never had a problem with either, but prefer B&H...perhaps simply
because I have a longer track record with them, and they've
NEVER...EVER...done wrong by me.

But... The few times I've ordered from Adorama, they've been equally
flawless.
-Mark

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
> This is from reseller ratings:
>
> Adorama
> http://www.adorama.com
> Customer Satisfaction
> Six-Month Rating: 3.75 Six-Month Reviews: 40
>
> Lifetime Reviews: 143
>

> Lifetime Rating: 6.21 Average Store: 7.34
> High Average: 9.04
> Low Average: 3.41
>

> 6.41 Pricing of Products and Services
> 3.17 Likelihood of Future Purchases
> 3.63 Shipping and Packaging
> 2.41 Customer Service
> 2.19 Return or Replacement
>

> ------------------------
>
> B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com
> Customer Satisfaction
> Six-Month Rating: 8.77 Six-Month Reviews: 216
>
> Lifetime Reviews: 705
>

> Lifetime Rating: 8.82 Average Store: 7.34
> High Average: 9.04
> Low Average: 3.41
>

> 6.97 Pricing of Products and Services
> 8.08 Likelihood of Future Purchases
> 8.26 Shipping and Packaging
> 7.40 Customer Service
> 7.50 Return or Replacement
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:41:52 AM

Paul Furman wrote:
> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
> This is from reseller ratings:

My D70 came from B&H in December and later I ordered a Sigma 18-125 and
was kept informed at all stages by them. Arrived here in South Africa in
mint condition. Will definitely go back to them in the future.
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:32:40 AM

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:22:14 -0700, in rec.photo.digital , Paul Furman
<paul-@-edgehill.net> in <a7GdnXMv09GncCvfRVn-qQ@speakeasy.net>
wrote:

I go to Adorama because it is near my favorite paper store and a good
burrito place, but that probably doesn't help you.

--
Matt Silberstein

June 21, 2005 3:27:11 AM

"Nostrobino" <not@home.today> writes:

> For years I bought 35mm equipment from both, and found them about the same.
>
> There isn't much reason today to buy digital stuff from any NYC dealer as
> far as I can see, except for some lenses and accessories (especially
> brand-specific) that may be hard to find outside of the big camera stores.
>
> For digital cameras generally, online sellers like BuyDig.com and some
> others are in my experience just as reliable as Adorama or B&H ever were,
> ship as fast or faster and their prices are usually much better. Also you
> avoid the curtness and often downright rudeness that is so characteristic of
> New York camera salesmen. I think they have to get a passing grade in Bad
> Manners 101 before they are permitted to talk to a customer on the phone.
> It's a city ordinance or something.

I dunno, if what you want is just a camera and a few popular accessories, yeah
buydig.com will probably have what you want. If for example, you need stuff
that isn't quite as mainstream, such as flash brackets, all of the lenses made
for your DSLR, R72 infrared filters, etc. you need to go to the pros.

I tend to order from Adorama, since B&H has decided they don't want to ship to
places like The UPS store, and I would prefer to ship to a place were somebody
will actually sign for an item and hold it for me, rather than trusting to luck
that the delivery guy/gal will find the right house and put the package in a
place where it is safe and protected from the weather.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

I dealt with B&H 20 or so times. No problems. I'm starting to use KEH now
for lenses. Although they are known for their used equipment, they do carry
a new items. I bought a new lens and a used teleconverter. The teleconverter
looked brand new to me and was $90 less.
-S

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
> This is from reseller ratings:
>
> Adorama
> http://www.adorama.com
> Customer Satisfaction
> Six-Month Rating: 3.75 Six-Month Reviews: 40
>
> Lifetime Reviews: 143
>

> Lifetime Rating: 6.21 Average Store: 7.34
> High Average: 9.04
> Low Average: 3.41
>

> 6.41 Pricing of Products and Services
> 3.17 Likelihood of Future Purchases
> 3.63 Shipping and Packaging
> 2.41 Customer Service
> 2.19 Return or Replacement
>

> ------------------------
>
> B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com
> Customer Satisfaction
> Six-Month Rating: 8.77 Six-Month Reviews: 216
>
> Lifetime Reviews: 705
>

> Lifetime Rating: 8.82 Average Store: 7.34
> High Average: 9.04
> Low Average: 3.41
>

> 6.97 Pricing of Products and Services
> 8.08 Likelihood of Future Purchases
> 8.26 Shipping and Packaging
> 7.40 Customer Service
> 7.50 Return or Replacement
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 6:44:34 PM

Michael Meissner <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote:

> I tend to order from Adorama, since B&H has decided they don't want to ship to
> places like The UPS store, and I would prefer to ship to a place were somebody
> will actually sign for an item and hold it for me, rather than trusting to luck
> that the delivery guy/gal will find the right house and put the package in a
> place where it is safe and protected from the weather.

I wasn't aware that you could ship "TO" The UPS Store. Do they charge a
fee for this service?

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
June 21, 2005 11:54:49 PM

On 21 Jun 2005 14:44:34 GMT, "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Michael Meissner <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote:
>>
>> I tend to order from Adorama, since B&H has decided they don't want to ship to
>> places like The UPS store, and I would prefer to ship to a place were somebody
>> will actually sign for an item and hold it for me, rather than trusting to luck
>> that the delivery guy/gal will find the right house and put the package in a
>> place where it is safe and protected from the weather.
>
>I wasn't aware that you could ship "TO" The UPS Store. Do they charge a
>fee for this service?

In theory, you can ship to any valid address (this leaves out, as an
example, PO Boxes).
First, you need to let your CC bank know about it. Then, if the
shipper balks, have them call your CC bank for the OK.
In theory, it's not possible to ship to any address other than the
billing address of your CC, without the knowledge and permission of
the buyer and the CC bank.

That doesn't stop some less than honest shops from doing just that,
though. I had a case of this several years ago, and I got the charge
reversed with minimal trouble (two calls; one to the shipping shop,
one to my CC bank. Done deal.)

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> writes:
> >I wasn't aware that you could ship "TO" The UPS Store. Do they charge a
> >fee for this service?
>
> In theory, you can ship to any valid address (this leaves out, as an
> example, PO Boxes).
> First, you need to let your CC bank know about it. Then, if the
> shipper balks, have them call your CC bank for the OK.
> In theory, it's not possible to ship to any address other than the
> billing address of your CC, without the knowledge and permission of
> the buyer and the CC bank.

The UPS store rents out mailboxes and it's very standard for people to
use those mailboxes as business addresses, including for CC billing
and all deliveries. The issue is that B&H apparently doesn't want to
ship to UPS stores even if you rent a mailbox there and make it your
CC billing address. There's too much fraud potential of a crook
renting a mailbox under someone else's name, getting something shipped
there on the other person's CC, and disappearing with the merchandise.
June 22, 2005 4:39:05 AM

I went to NY last week and dropped by B+H, the place is just amazing, very
slick with items running on conveyors. They had what I wanted in stock, new
and unopened. My dealings with them by mail order were just as good as
going to their store. The only drawback B&H (and Adorama too) have is they
are closed fridays from 2PM and all day saturday.

Jean

"Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> a écrit dans le message de
> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
> This is from reseller ratings:
>
> Adorama
> http://www.adorama.com
> Customer Satisfaction
> Six-Month Rating: 3.75 Six-Month Reviews: 40
>
> Lifetime Reviews: 143
>

> Lifetime Rating: 6.21 Average Store: 7.34
> High Average: 9.04
> Low Average: 3.41
>

> 6.41 Pricing of Products and Services
> 3.17 Likelihood of Future Purchases
> 3.63 Shipping and Packaging
> 2.41 Customer Service
> 2.19 Return or Replacement
>

> ------------------------
>
> B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com
> Customer Satisfaction
> Six-Month Rating: 8.77 Six-Month Reviews: 216
>
> Lifetime Reviews: 705
>

> Lifetime Rating: 8.82 Average Store: 7.34
> High Average: 9.04
> Low Average: 3.41
>

> 6.97 Pricing of Products and Services
> 8.08 Likelihood of Future Purchases
> 8.26 Shipping and Packaging
> 7.40 Customer Service
> 7.50 Return or Replacement
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 9:36:12 AM

I dealt with both outfits over the years and came to the conclusion the
small savings I received doing business with them wasn't worth the abuse I
went through. Neither outfit wanted to demo anything, one guy at B&H started
yelling at me one day, screaming "WE DON'T HAVE DISPLAY MODELS!!!!!" after
I'd asked to see a lens or something. Adorama was nearby, a dump and as
uncourteous as one would expect in NYC.

I took my business elsewhere, to a place in NJ everyone should know about,
Bergen County Camera in Westwood. This is a real "camera store", great
service, knowledgeable staff and excellent prices. I now live a long way
frpm BCC but still do all of my business with them.

"jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote in message
>I went to NY last week and dropped by B+H, the place is just amazing, very
> slick with items running on conveyors. They had what I wanted in stock,
> new
> and unopened. My dealings with them by mail order were just as good as
> going to their store. The only drawback B&H (and Adorama too) have is
> they
> are closed fridays from 2PM and all day saturday.
>
> Jean
>
> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> a écrit dans le message de
>> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
>> This is from reseller ratings:
>>
>> Adorama
>> http://www.adorama.com
>> Customer Satisfaction
>> Six-Month Rating: 3.75 Six-Month Reviews: 40
>>
>> Lifetime Reviews: 143
>>

>> Lifetime Rating: 6.21 Average Store: 7.34
>> High Average: 9.04
>> Low Average: 3.41
>>

>> 6.41 Pricing of Products and Services
>> 3.17 Likelihood of Future Purchases
>> 3.63 Shipping and Packaging
>> 2.41 Customer Service
>> 2.19 Return or Replacement
>>

>> ------------------------
>>
>> B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio
>> http://www.bhphotovideo.com
>> Customer Satisfaction
>> Six-Month Rating: 8.77 Six-Month Reviews: 216
>>
>> Lifetime Reviews: 705
>>

>> Lifetime Rating: 8.82 Average Store: 7.34
>> High Average: 9.04
>> Low Average: 3.41
>>

>> 6.97 Pricing of Products and Services
>> 8.08 Likelihood of Future Purchases
>> 8.26 Shipping and Packaging
>> 7.40 Customer Service
>> 7.50 Return or Replacement

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:38:16 AM

On 21 Jun 2005 20:29:20 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>Bill Funk <BigBill@there.com> writes:
>> >I wasn't aware that you could ship "TO" The UPS Store. Do they charge a
>> >fee for this service?
>>
>> In theory, you can ship to any valid address (this leaves out, as an
>> example, PO Boxes).
>> First, you need to let your CC bank know about it. Then, if the
>> shipper balks, have them call your CC bank for the OK.
>> In theory, it's not possible to ship to any address other than the
>> billing address of your CC, without the knowledge and permission of
>> the buyer and the CC bank.
>
>The UPS store rents out mailboxes and it's very standard for people to
>use those mailboxes as business addresses, including for CC billing
>and all deliveries. The issue is that B&H apparently doesn't want to
>ship to UPS stores even if you rent a mailbox there and make it your
>CC billing address. There's too much fraud potential of a crook
>renting a mailbox under someone else's name, getting something shipped
>there on the other person's CC, and disappearing with the merchandise.

While not a UPS store per se, I've had B&H ship to a (generic) Mailbox
store. Not a problem.
Except sometimes I have to explain the procedure to the person who
says it can't be done.
I explain that under their contract with their CC handling bank or
service, that must verify any shipping destination other than the
billing address (and that's supposed to be verified before shipping;
that's why they will often ask if the shipping address and billing
address are the same); the purchaser needs to tell their CC issuing
bank about the new shipping address, and the shop verifies that the
issuing bank knows about the new shipping address.
It's up to the issuing bank to verify the person telling them about
the new shipping address is, in fact, the CC holder.
In my case, the verification is through asking for both a piece of
personal information and a password.
The problem I had years ago was that the shipping shop did not verify
that different shipping address. They just shipped over $300 of stereo
equipment to a POB. My CC issuing bank reversed the charge to show up
on my next statement. *WHY* the shop didn't verify, I have no idea.
Stupidity? Outright fraud? Not my problem; it's between them and their
CC service.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 16:09:49 -0400, "Nostrobino" <not@home.today>
> wrote:
>
>>For years I bought 35mm equipment from both, and found them about the
>>same.
>>
>>There isn't much reason today to buy digital stuff from any NYC dealer as
>>far as I can see, except for some lenses and accessories (especially
>>brand-specific) that may be hard to find outside of the big camera stores.
>>
>>For digital cameras generally, online sellers like BuyDig.com and some
>>others are in my experience just as reliable as Adorama or B&H ever were,
>>ship as fast or faster and their prices are usually much better. Also you
>>avoid the curtness and often downright rudeness that is so characteristic
>>of
>>New York camera salesmen. I think they have to get a passing grade in Bad
>>Manners 101 before they are permitted to talk to a customer on the phone.
>>It's a city ordinance or something.
>
> Why are you talking to them on the phone?

I don't, now. But was buying photo equipment from NYC sellers long before
there was such a thing as online ordering.

> I just do it on line with
> B&H and have never spoken to them. Just ordered a Canon 135mm f/2.0L
> yesterday never spoke to a soul and it's shipped today.

Fine, but at some point if you buy enough stuff you are probably going to
have to speak to someone on the phone. I bought a fairly pricey lens once
from B&H that obviously had been taken out of the box for some reason, and
replaced with the lens shade loose on top of it, resulting in scratches on
the inside of the lens shade. While technically I'm sure it was "new" as
advertised, i.e. not previously sold, it was not in satisfactory condition
and I had to call to arrange to return it. Calling was faster than an e-mail
exchange with Customer Service would have been.

N.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:22:49 PM

"Michael Meissner" <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote in message
> "Nostrobino" <not@home.today> writes:
>
>> For years I bought 35mm equipment from both, and found them about the
>> same.
>>
>> There isn't much reason today to buy digital stuff from any NYC dealer as
>> far as I can see, except for some lenses and accessories (especially
>> brand-specific) that may be hard to find outside of the big camera
>> stores.
>>
>> For digital cameras generally, online sellers like BuyDig.com and some
>> others are in my experience just as reliable as Adorama or B&H ever were,
>> ship as fast or faster and their prices are usually much better. Also you
>> avoid the curtness and often downright rudeness that is so characteristic
>> of
>> New York camera salesmen. I think they have to get a passing grade in Bad
>> Manners 101 before they are permitted to talk to a customer on the phone.
>> It's a city ordinance or something.
>
> I dunno, if what you want is just a camera and a few popular accessories,
> yeah
> buydig.com will probably have what you want. If for example, you need
> stuff
> that isn't quite as mainstream, such as flash brackets, all of the lenses
> made
> for your DSLR, R72 infrared filters, etc. you need to go to the pros.

As far as cameras and common accessories are concerned, I always shop online
for the best delivered price from a reliable seller. There is no reason to
buy from any NYC dealer "except for some lenses and accessories," etc., as I
said. But if I do need some lens or accessory that only a big camera store
can supply, then ipso facto that's where I go.

N.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:56:24 PM

"SoK66" <SoK66@use.net> wrote in message
news:D 9bigl06hs@enews2.newsguy.com...
> I dealt with both outfits over the years and came to the conclusion the
> small savings I received doing business with them wasn't worth the abuse I
> went through. Neither outfit wanted to demo anything, one guy at B&H
started
> yelling at me one day, screaming "WE DON'T HAVE DISPLAY MODELS!!!!!" after
> I'd asked to see a lens or something. Adorama was nearby, a dump and as
> uncourteous as one would expect in NYC.

Wow. Absolutely contrary to my experience. I've been in-store at B&H a
number of times, and have bought many thousands of dollars of merchandise
from them, mail order, over the years. I've always found the salespeople
helpful and courteous. The last time I was there was to buy a lens for my
10D. I don't recall which lens I asked for, but the salesman asked me what
kind of work I did with the camera. I told him and he said, "That's really
a lot more lens than you need. Take a look at this -- it's very good,
perfect for your purposes and will save you a couple of hundred dollars."
He brought it out, I tried it out, like it, thanked him and bought it.

I will always buy from B&H, exclusively.

Incidently, I've never visited Adorama's store, but I've bought mail order
from them, as well. Though my experience with them is far more limited than
with B&H, I've also found them to be courteous and helpful.

As for what one would expect in NYC, as a former New Yorker, born and bred,
I'd suggest you consider the extent to which your expectations inform your
experience.

> I took my business elsewhere, to a place in NJ everyone should know about,
> Bergen County Camera in Westwood. This is a real "camera store", great
> service, knowledgeable staff and excellent prices. I now live a long way
> frpm BCC but still do all of my business with them.
>

> "jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote in message
> >I went to NY last week and dropped by B+H, the place is just amazing,
very
> > slick with items running on conveyors. They had what I wanted in stock,
> > new
> > and unopened. My dealings with them by mail order were just as good as
> > going to their store. The only drawback B&H (and Adorama too) have is
> > they
> > are closed fridays from 2PM and all day saturday.
> >
> > Jean
> >
> > "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> a écrit dans le message de
> >> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
> >> This is from reseller ratings:
> >>
> >> Adorama
> >> http://www.adorama.com
> >> Customer Satisfaction
> >> Six-Month Rating: 3.75 Six-Month Reviews: 40
> >>
> >> Lifetime Reviews: 143
> >>

> >> Lifetime Rating: 6.21 Average Store: 7.34
> >> High Average: 9.04
> >> Low Average: 3.41
> >>

> >> 6.41 Pricing of Products and Services
> >> 3.17 Likelihood of Future Purchases
> >> 3.63 Shipping and Packaging
> >> 2.41 Customer Service
> >> 2.19 Return or Replacement
> >>

> >> ------------------------
> >>
> >> B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio
> >> http://www.bhphotovideo.com
> >> Customer Satisfaction
> >> Six-Month Rating: 8.77 Six-Month Reviews: 216
> >>
> >> Lifetime Reviews: 705
> >>

> >> Lifetime Rating: 8.82 Average Store: 7.34
> >> High Average: 9.04
> >> Low Average: 3.41
> >>

> >> 6.97 Pricing of Products and Services
> >> 8.08 Likelihood of Future Purchases
> >> 8.26 Shipping and Packaging
> >> 7.40 Customer Service
> >> 7.50 Return or Replacement

Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:54:22 PM

Adorama did fine by me the one time I ordered from them.

Later, they spammed me on the e-mail I used for order confirmation. I
specifically made sure not to sign up for any 'newsletters' or anything
like that. When I informed them of this, they told me to just
unsubscribe. I pointed out that I had not subscribed in the first
place.

I won't do business with them again. B+H has never used my e-mail
address for anything I didn't say was OK.

-Keith
June 23, 2005 2:33:46 AM

Last weekend, I went to B&H on friday morning and they were very polite, I
had not noticed they were closing early that day so I went back on sunday
morning and the place was packed with customers, a clerk took me out of the
line asked me if I knew what I wanted and proceeded to take my order right
there, again very polite and helpfull. While I was there I looked around
and they did have display models, even those big super expensive teles from
Canon.

This was the first time I went to their store and it was a very positive
experience.

Jean

"SoK66" <SoK66@use.net> a écrit dans le message de
news:D 9bigl06hs@enews2.newsguy.com...
> I dealt with both outfits over the years and came to the conclusion the
> small savings I received doing business with them wasn't worth the abuse I
> went through. Neither outfit wanted to demo anything, one guy at B&H
started
> yelling at me one day, screaming "WE DON'T HAVE DISPLAY MODELS!!!!!" after
> I'd asked to see a lens or something. Adorama was nearby, a dump and as
> uncourteous as one would expect in NYC.
>
> I took my business elsewhere, to a place in NJ everyone should know about,
> Bergen County Camera in Westwood. This is a real "camera store", great
> service, knowledgeable staff and excellent prices. I now live a long way
> frpm BCC but still do all of my business with them.
>

> "jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote in message
> >I went to NY last week and dropped by B+H, the place is just amazing,
very
> > slick with items running on conveyors. They had what I wanted in stock,
> > new
> > and unopened. My dealings with them by mail order were just as good as
> > going to their store. The only drawback B&H (and Adorama too) have is
> > they
> > are closed fridays from 2PM and all day saturday.
> >
> > Jean
> >
> > "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> a écrit dans le message de
> >> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
> >> This is from reseller ratings:
> >>
> >> Adorama
> >> http://www.adorama.com
> >> Customer Satisfaction
> >> Six-Month Rating: 3.75 Six-Month Reviews: 40
> >>
> >> Lifetime Reviews: 143
> >>

> >> Lifetime Rating: 6.21 Average Store: 7.34
> >> High Average: 9.04
> >> Low Average: 3.41
> >>

> >> 6.41 Pricing of Products and Services
> >> 3.17 Likelihood of Future Purchases
> >> 3.63 Shipping and Packaging
> >> 2.41 Customer Service
> >> 2.19 Return or Replacement
> >>

> >> ------------------------
> >>
> >> B&H Photo-Video-Pro Audio
> >> http://www.bhphotovideo.com
> >> Customer Satisfaction
> >> Six-Month Rating: 8.77 Six-Month Reviews: 216
> >>
> >> Lifetime Reviews: 705
> >>

> >> Lifetime Rating: 8.82 Average Store: 7.34
> >> High Average: 9.04
> >> Low Average: 3.41
> >>

> >> 6.97 Pricing of Products and Services
> >> 8.08 Likelihood of Future Purchases
> >> 8.26 Shipping and Packaging
> >> 7.40 Customer Service
> >> 7.50 Return or Replacement

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:57:32 PM

"Keith Jewell" <implode@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Adorama did fine by me the one time I ordered from them.
>
> Later, they spammed me on the e-mail I used for order confirmation. I
> specifically made sure not to sign up for any 'newsletters' or anything
> like that. When I informed them of this, they told me to just
> unsubscribe. I pointed out that I had not subscribed in the first
> place.
>
> I won't do business with them again. B+H has never used my e-mail
> address for anything I didn't say was OK.

I don't understand your complaint, or why you call later e-mails "spam"
after you've ordered from them. I receive a lot of e-mails from sellers I've
done business with in the past. They know that I have some interest in the
kind of merchandise they're selling, and it's reasonable to suppose I might
be interested in something else they have on sale, etc. As far as I'm
concerned this is not spam, and I have no objection to it. If I know I'm not
interested at the time I just delete it without reading it.

Spam is when I receive e-mails from sellers I've never done business with,
don't know, and who have no reason whatever to think I might be interested
in their products. They're just flooding the Internet with junk mail to
hundreds of thousands, or millions, of people in the hope that some tiny
percentage will respond. THAT'S spam, and it's entirely different from what
you've described.

Since they suggested you just unsubscribe, what's the big problem?

N.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:25:31 AM

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> writes:

> Michael Meissner <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote:
> >
> > I tend to order from Adorama, since B&H has decided they don't want to ship
> > to places like The UPS store, and I would prefer to ship to a place were
> > somebody will actually sign for an item and hold it for me, rather than
> > trusting to luck that the delivery guy/gal will find the right house and
> > put the package in a place where it is safe and protected from the weather.
>
> I wasn't aware that you could ship "TO" The UPS Store. Do they charge a
> fee for this service?

I pay something like $144/year to have a mailbox at the UPS store. We live on
a private road, and didn't get mail delivery for the first 10 years we lived in
the house. So we use a PO box for normal mail deliver. When I started working
as a computer programmer from my home office, I needed a place FedEx/UPS could
deliver to (they can't deliver to a PO box), so I went with Mailboxes,
etc. which eventually got bought out by UPS. Even though we now get mail
delivery, we still keep the address as the PO box, and keep up the UPS store.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:27:56 AM

> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Michael Meissner <mrmnews@the-meissners.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > I tend to order from Adorama, since B&H has decided they don't want to
>> > ship
>> > to places like The UPS store, and I would prefer to ship to a place
>> > were
>> > somebody will actually sign for an item and hold it for me, rather than
>> > trusting to luck that the delivery guy/gal will find the right house
>> > and
>> > put the package in a place where it is safe and protected from the
>> > weather.
>>
>> I wasn't aware that you could ship "TO" The UPS Store. Do they charge a
>> fee for this service?
>
> I pay something like $144/year to have a mailbox at the UPS store. We
> live on
> a private road, and didn't get mail delivery for the first 10 years we
> lived in
> the house. So we use a PO box for normal mail deliver. When I started
> working
> as a computer programmer from my home office, I needed a place FedEx/UPS
> could
> deliver to (they can't deliver to a PO box), so I went with Mailboxes,
> etc. which eventually got bought out by UPS. Even though we now get mail
> delivery, we still keep the address as the PO box, and keep up the UPS
> store.
>
> --
> Michael Meissner
> email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
> http://www.the-meissners.org

I believe DHL will deliver to a PO Box.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:42:55 PM

Bill Spanger wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:22:14 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
> >Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
>
> I've had no problem with Adorama but I prefer B&H because their S&H is more
> resonable and their service hasn't failed me yet.

B&H has been far from 'perfect' for me. Right now they're one for three.

I ordered a FZ20 a little over a month ago. They had the price I wanted,
so I put in my order _very_ early on a Friday morning (~6:30 AM PDT, as
I recall), hoping to have it early the next week.

They didn't ship 'til late Monday afternoon, though. Good thing I wasn't
overly anxious for it. Yes, I know about Saturdays. But it certainly
wasn't 'same day', as some here have reported. Minor thing, I know, but
they are not as pure as some here would have you believe.

The other incident was in the 90's where they sent me an obviously used
and broken piece of equipment, agreed to ship another right away because
I needed it, said they'd not charge me for shipping, and re-imburse me
for the return shipping cost of the defective one. They never did.

Bill

They _do_ ship to P.O. Boxes, though, that works O.K.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:01:28 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:42:55 -0700, in rec.photo.digital , Bill
Turlock <"Bill Turlock"@sonnnic.net> in
<42C2DD9F.87D82908@sonnnic.net> wrote:

>Bill Spanger wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:22:14 -0700, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote:
>> >Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
>>
>> I've had no problem with Adorama but I prefer B&H because their S&H is more
>> resonable and their service hasn't failed me yet.
>

>B&H has been far from 'perfect' for me. Right now they're one for three.
>
>I ordered a FZ20 a little over a month ago. They had the price I wanted,
>so I put in my order _very_ early on a Friday morning (~6:30 AM PDT, as
>I recall), hoping to have it early the next week.
>
>They didn't ship 'til late Monday afternoon, though. Good thing I wasn't
>overly anxious for it. Yes, I know about Saturdays.

Do you know that "Saturdays" start Friday? They close about 2PM on
Fridays or earlier.

[snip]

--
Matt Silberstein

I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun.

Raymond Chandler
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:12:28 AM

Matt Silberstein wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:42:55 -0700, in rec.photo.digital , Bill
> Turlock <"Bill Turlock"@sonnnic.net> in
> <42C2DD9F.87D82908@sonnnic.net> wrote:
>
> >Bill Spanger wrote:

> >> I've had no problem with Adorama but I prefer B&H because their S&H is more
> >> resonable and their service hasn't failed me yet.
> >

> >B&H has been far from 'perfect' for me. Right now they're one for three.
> >
> >I ordered a FZ20 a little over a month ago. They had the price I wanted,
> >so I put in my order _very_ early on a Friday morning (~6:30 AM PDT, as
> >I recall), hoping to have it early the next week.
> >
> >They didn't ship 'til late Monday afternoon, though. Good thing I wasn't
> >overly anxious for it. Yes, I know about Saturdays.
>
> Do you know that "Saturdays" start Friday? They close about 2PM on
> Fridays or earlier.
>
> [snip]
>
> --
> Matt Silberstein

I did not know that.

Bill
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:34:28 AM

"Bill Turlock" <"Bill Turlock"@sonnnic.net> wrote in message
> Matt Silberstein wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:42:55 -0700, in rec.photo.digital , Bill
>> Turlock <"Bill Turlock"@sonnnic.net> in
>> <42C2DD9F.87D82908@sonnnic.net> wrote:

>> >B&H has been far from 'perfect' for me. Right now they're one for three.
>> >
>> >I ordered a FZ20 a little over a month ago. They had the price I wanted,
>> >so I put in my order _very_ early on a Friday morning (~6:30 AM PDT, as
>> >I recall), hoping to have it early the next week.
>> >
>> >They didn't ship 'til late Monday afternoon, though. Good thing I wasn't
>> >overly anxious for it. Yes, I know about Saturdays.
>>
>> Do you know that "Saturdays" start Friday? They close about 2PM on
>> Fridays or earlier.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> --
>> Matt Silberstein
>

> I did not know that.
>
> Bill

Sabbath begins as sundown approaches.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 3:10:52 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 06:34:28 -0400, in rec.photo.digital , "Peter A.
Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> in
<SUPwe.13320$UG3.6093@fe11.lga> wrote:

>"Bill Turlock" <"Bill Turlock"@sonnnic.net> wrote in message
>> Matt Silberstein wrote:
>>>
>>> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:42:55 -0700, in rec.photo.digital , Bill
>>> Turlock <"Bill Turlock"@sonnnic.net> in

>>> Do you know that "Saturdays" start Friday? They close about 2PM on
>>> Fridays or earlier.

>> I did not know that.

>Sabbath begins as sundown approaches.

And if you live in Brooklyn you had better make sure you are home
before Sabbath. And I bet that they all live in Brooklyn.

--
Matt Silberstein

I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun.

Raymond Chandler
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 4:50:55 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 06:34:28 -0400, Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:

> Sabbath begins as sundown approaches.

And their ads clearly state that on Friday the store is open from
9:00AM to 1:00PM. If you want to get there, hurry. They'll be
closing in about 5 minutes from now. :)
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 9:10:09 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:01:28 GMT, Matt Silberstein
<RemoveThisPrefixmatts2nospam@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:42:55 -0700, in rec.photo.digital , Bill
>Turlock <"Bill Turlock"@sonnnic.net> in
><42C2DD9F.87D82908@sonnnic.net> wrote:
>
>>Bill Spanger wrote:

>>> I've had no problem with Adorama but I prefer B&H because their S&H is more
>>> resonable and their service hasn't failed me yet.
>>

>>B&H has been far from 'perfect' for me. Right now they're one for three.
>>
>>I ordered a FZ20 a little over a month ago. They had the price I wanted,
>>so I put in my order _very_ early on a Friday morning (~6:30 AM PDT, as
>>I recall), hoping to have it early the next week.
>>
>>They didn't ship 'til late Monday afternoon, though. Good thing I wasn't
>>overly anxious for it. Yes, I know about Saturdays.
>
>Do you know that "Saturdays" start Friday? They close about 2PM on
>Fridays or earlier.

And reopen early Sunday, but of course they still can't ship until
Monday.
>[snip]
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 12:01:23 PM

Paul Furman wrote:
> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
Just for the fun of it I pulled out the receipts for my first purchases
from B&H: *July 9, 1982!!* (For a Mamiya C330f TLR ($249) and 80mm
lens ($119) and $7 S&H). A year later, June 17, 1983, I ordered a 135mm
lens for that same camera ($159 + $6.50 S&H). Over 20 years of doing
business with them and I've NEVER had a problem. And when I finally
made my first trip to NYC (finally - 1999!) I made a point to go into
the store (only to buy some film).

While my sales guy @ the film counter gave my simple film buying
transaction a bit of the "like pulling teeth" hardship, I recognized it
only as that "NY attitude" which I actually have always really liked. I
see past its veneer of possibly "rude" and, in this case, saw that this
guy was actually pretty friendly... if you play along. Pulling teeth
with a smile and a kinda' puckish twinkle in the eye.

Anyway, because of those early positive experiences I've been ordering
from them now for literally decades. Just rec'd another shipment from
them last month - many items, all correct, shipped quickly and all in
perfect condition. Just like always. I know I can trust B&H.

I've also made a couple orders from Adorama (I have one on the way now,
in fact.) Never had a problem with them but I've never ordered as much
from them as from B&H. However, on this order, getting questions
answered (about light stands) proved a bit of a task, and shipment
didn't happen very expediently (I ordered late last Thursday, they
charged my card Friday, "Packed" it on Sunday, and it finally shipped on
Tuesday night. Granted, I ordered late on Thursday, and they close
early Friday, and Monday was July 4th, but still... seemed like a slow
process). Their website doesn't detail items as fully as B&H (which
downright surpasses expectation), and getting questions answered is
tough. Oh, and on their website I found their explanation that THEY
SELL GRAY MARKET items (it's on their FAQ page:
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=faq scroll down about 3/4 of the
way). I don't know if B&H does the same. But..

Bottom line, I've never had even the slightest problem with B&H, but
only slight problems with Adorama. B&H *definitely* wins my preference.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:52:19 PM

Nostrobino wrote:
> I don't understand your complaint, or why you call later e-mails "spam"
> after you've ordered from them. I receive a lot of e-mails from sellers I've
> done business with in the past. They know that I have some interest in the
> kind of merchandise they're selling, and it's reasonable to suppose I might
> be interested in something else they have on sale, etc. As far as I'm
> concerned this is not spam, and I have no objection to it. If I know I'm not
> interested at the time I just delete it without reading it.
>
> Spam is when I receive e-mails from sellers I've never done business with,
> don't know, and who have no reason whatever to think I might be interested
> in their products. They're just flooding the Internet with junk mail to
> hundreds of thousands, or millions, of people in the hope that some tiny
> percentage will respond. THAT'S spam, and it's entirely different from what
> you've described.
>
> Since they suggested you just unsubscribe, what's the big problem?
>
> N.

The problem is that I never subscribed in the first place. Thus the
mail is unsolicited.

I quote from the Spamhaus page as follows:

Spam is an issue about consent, not content. Whether the UBE message is
an advert, a scam, porn, a begging letter or an offer of a free lunch,
the content is irrelevant - if the message was sent unsolicited and in
bulk then the message is spam.

Spam is not a sub-set of UBE, it is not "UBE that is also a scam or
that doesn't contain an unsubscribe link", all email sent unsolicited
and in bulk is Spam.

This distinction is important because legislators spend inordinate
amounts of time attempting to regulate the content of spam messages,
and in doing so come up against free speech issues, without realizing
that the spam issue is solely about the delivery method.

--

The mail they sent me was unsoliticed. It was obviously in bulk (it was
about a sale). Therefore it is spam. I don't do business with spammers,

-Keith
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:40:16 PM

"male1960" <newsgroupacct@GEEmail.com> wrote in message
> Paul Furman wrote:
>> Anybody had trouble with Adorama?
> Just for the fun of it I pulled out the receipts for my first purchases
> from B&H: *July 9, 1982!!* (For a Mamiya C330f TLR ($249) and 80mm lens
> ($119) and $7 S&H). A year later, June 17, 1983, I ordered a 135mm lens
> for that same camera ($159 + $6.50 S&H). Over 20 years of doing business
> with them and I've NEVER had a problem. And when I finally made my first
> trip to NYC (finally - 1999!) I made a point to go into the store (only to
> buy some film).
>
> While my sales guy @ the film counter gave my simple film buying
> transaction a bit of the "like pulling teeth" hardship, I recognized it
> only as that "NY attitude" which I actually have always really liked. I
> see past its veneer of possibly "rude" and, in this case, saw that this
> guy was actually pretty friendly... if you play along. Pulling teeth with
> a smile and a kinda' puckish twinkle in the eye.
>
> Anyway, because of those early positive experiences I've been ordering
> from them now for literally decades. Just rec'd another shipment from
> them last month - many items, all correct, shipped quickly and all in
> perfect condition. Just like always. I know I can trust B&H.
>
> I've also made a couple orders from Adorama (I have one on the way now, in
> fact.) Never had a problem with them but I've never ordered as much from
> them as from B&H. However, on this order, getting questions answered
> (about light stands) proved a bit of a task, and shipment didn't happen
> very expediently (I ordered late last Thursday, they charged my card
> Friday, "Packed" it on Sunday, and it finally shipped on Tuesday night.
> Granted, I ordered late on Thursday, and they close early Friday, and
> Monday was July 4th, but still... seemed like a slow process). Their
> website doesn't detail items as fully as B&H (which downright surpasses
> expectation), and getting questions answered is tough. Oh, and on their
> website I found their explanation that THEY SELL GRAY MARKET items (it's
> on their FAQ page: http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=faq scroll down
> about 3/4 of the way). I don't know if B&H does the same. But..

B&H also sells grey market stuff, but ONLY when/if you ask for it
specifically.
They sell both--at two different prices.
This is great for certain companies like Canon...since Canon honors the full
warranty of even grey market stuff in the US.
-Not true elsewhere...
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:57:27 PM

Finch wrote:

> Get over it.

Mind if I forward all my spam to you?

-Keith
July 6, 2005 11:58:43 PM

> The problem is that I never subscribed in the first place. Thus the
> mail is unsolicited.
>
> I quote from the Spamhaus page as follows:
>
> Spam is an issue about consent, not content. Whether the UBE message is
> an advert, a scam, porn, a begging letter or an offer of a free lunch,
> the content is irrelevant - if the message was sent unsolicited and in
> bulk then the message is spam.
>
> Spam is not a sub-set of UBE, it is not "UBE that is also a scam or
> that doesn't contain an unsubscribe link", all email sent unsolicited
> and in bulk is Spam.
>
> This distinction is important because legislators spend inordinate
> amounts of time attempting to regulate the content of spam messages,
> and in doing so come up against free speech issues, without realizing
> that the spam issue is solely about the delivery method.
>
> --
>
> The mail they sent me was unsoliticed. It was obviously in bulk (it was
> about a sale). Therefore it is spam. I don't do business with spammers,
> no matter how nice they are. If everyone I had ever done business with
> on the Internet sent me just one message a week, I would receive
> hundreds of messages a week. Obviously that's way more than 'just hit
> is only for the use of those who I have given explicit permission to. I
> had not given that to Adorama. Three other online camera dealers (B+H,
> Canoga and Buydig) have not abused the permission I granted to allow
> them to send me order-related e-mails, so they will continue to get my
> business.
>
> -Keith

Get over it.
!