Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Reusing PC Parts!?

Last response: in Components
Share
July 28, 2012 12:50:37 AM

Okky Heres my situation.
Basically a few months ago my computer (Packard bell brought from a shop) kept on crashing, It was just once in a while but now its so bad it crashes in the first 2 minutes of booting up.
I have spent time trying to fix it, drivers, check temperatures etc. Anyway i cant take it anymore, So i decided to build myself a PC for my birthday
My question is that my Packard bell PC has a western digital caviar blue 640GB HHD, Can i reuse that, If i can i can buy an SSD then. But could the crashing issue be because of the HHD?
Guys help me?

More about : reusing parts

July 28, 2012 1:17:59 AM

Hi :) 

Of course you can use it, plus your DVD drive.... but run a hard drive test in DOS first...HIRENS CD etc...

All the best Brett :) 
July 28, 2012 1:31:07 AM

You can re-use it, but getting a new one will always be better for a new build. As Brett said, just make sure you verify that the HDD is working properly.
Related resources
July 28, 2012 1:35:28 AM

Sure. If you have the disc for your version of Windows (or whatever OS you use) and you know how to do it, you should back up the music, photos or whatever you want to save and wipe the drive. Then re install the OS on your SSD. It will make a big difference in the time it takes your computer to boot
July 28, 2012 1:44:43 AM

nafoni said:
You can re-use it, but getting a new one will always be better for a new build. As Brett said, just make sure you verify that the HDD is working properly.


Thanks :) 
July 28, 2012 1:45:18 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Of course you can use it, plus your DVD drive.... but run a hard drive test in DOS first...HIRENS CD etc...

All the best Brett :) 


Thanks Brett,
How do i run a HHD Test and what is DOS :S
July 28, 2012 1:45:32 AM

AxelTDH said:
Sure. If you have the disc for your version of Windows (or whatever OS you use) and you know how to do it, you should back up the music, photos or whatever you want to save and wipe the drive. Then re install the OS on your SSD. It will make a big difference in the time it takes your computer to boot


Thanks :) 
July 28, 2012 1:50:55 AM

panda123 said:
Thanks Brett,
How do i run a HHD Test and what is DOS :S



Hi :) 

Download Hirens cd.... and BOOT from it BEFORE windows (thats DOS) :) 

All the best Brett :) 
July 28, 2012 1:59:27 AM

Your old PC's rebooting problems were quite likely due to the likely crappy OEM PSU quitting.
July 28, 2012 2:12:58 AM

InvalidError said:
Your old PC's rebooting problems were quite likely due to the likely crappy OEM PSU quitting.


Yeh thats what i was thinking :(  i just checked and its 200watts!
July 28, 2012 11:33:37 AM

panda123 said:
Yeh thats what i was thinking :(  i just checked and its 200watts!

Since you are going to have to buy a new PSU regardless of whether you try to fix your old one or rebuild, I suggest making this the first item on your purchase list and try that first. Unless you have particularly lofty upgrade plan, any good 450W PSU should do, check out sites like jonnyguru (the most thorough PSU review site I know of) for reviews.
July 28, 2012 8:00:14 PM

Thanks guys, Going to get a new build anyway since i want to start gaming :D 
Im just going to buy a new HDD instead of the SSD and the old HDD
thanks guys :D 
July 28, 2012 8:45:34 PM

Yeh but i did a HDD test and its failing some tests :/ 
July 28, 2012 9:28:19 PM

Yup :( 
!