Which cpu is better

which cpu is better , not just for overclocking but in general---i want to get 1 or the other, but you guys know best.. i can get either 1 for$100 or less

1. - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

2 . Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
4 answers Last reply
More about which better
  1. The Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz is marginally better. They are same chip. Kentsfields. The 6700 just has a higher base clock.
  2. Both are also quite obsolete at this point. I would not spend $100 on one myself. Save the money for a complete system upgrade. Those are both first generation Core2 parts released in 2006.
  3. BTW what motherboard are you planning on putting those chips in? As the previous post stated they are rather old CPUs.
  4. gherr74 said:
    which cpu is better , not just for overclocking but in general---i want to get 1 or the other, but you guys know best.. i can get either 1 for$100 or less

1. - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

2 . Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

As others said, Q6700 has a higher clock speed, and given that it's the same family, you're better off getting that one.

However, upgrading to a five year old CPU may not be the best move.
    If I were you, I'd get a brand new Pentium G620 for $65, a cheap LGA1155 motherboard for $50, and 4gig of ddr3 for $20
    That way you'll have a new, upgradeable machine that has warranty, that uses a lot less power than Q6700 and beats it in most benchmarks (also has integrated graphics if it means something to you).

Of course, that's $135, not $100, so that may not be an option for you. Also, assuming you're in the US.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Quad Core Processors Quad Intel