Radeon 6870 stuttering in Battlefield 3

dave303

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hi people. here's my story:

Playing BF3 I have stuttering/microstuttering all the time with my Asus HD 6870, altrough my FPS are always arround 50 FPS. I find out that this is a problem many other people have and I spend hours and hours on forums looking for posible soluttion and trief these. I also found a good post in this forum. But sadly nothing seems to work for me:

What I tried untill now without solving the problem:

outside the game
- Newest AMD application profile
- Newest drivers of course
- Limit FPS with Dxtory Tool
- Try and change on different settings with my Catalyst Control Center
-ATI Try (Try and change on different settings)
- Disconnect my external harddrive (only use for backups)
- Reinstall the game bf3
- try other games such as Call of Duty MW3 (works perfect on max settings)
- Tried to deactivate hyperthreading in BIOS (could not do it, my system does no seems to support this)

in game
- Put Vertical Sync in game on
- Set the solider's visibilty to max (90) and the mouse sensibility on 25. !This helps but not enough!
- Set the settings on the lowest performance !This helps but not enough!
- try some special in game commands in bf3 witch I read other people where using it (does not work for me)
- try BF3 Singleplayer Modus (has the same problem)

Here's my system:

ASUS HD 6870 1024MB GDDR5, 4200/915MHz
Intel i5 CPU, 760 @ 2.8 Ghz
Windows 7 64bit
8 GB RAM
Gigybyte P55-UD3L

Thank you very much.

Best
David

freeloader93

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
what resoloution are you running it at? tbh you should be able to play the game on medium at 1900 with 30-50 frames with that sytem.

Have you tried re-installing bf3, or defragmenting your hard drive.

The i5 760 is still quite a potent CPU for gaming, faster than all but the highest clocked Phenom IIs, at stock clocks it isn't going to hold back a 6870. The OP's CPU does not support hyperthreading, that is only on the i3 5xx, i5 6xx, and i7 8xx on LGA 1156. You can track your CPU usage with task manager while playing. If you are getting 100% on all four cores, then you are hitting a CPU bottleneck, but I doubt that is the case. All I can suggest would be to rollback to an earlier driver revision, maybe AMD's latest drivers have messed up support for BF3 in some way.

dave303

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hey people, thank you very much for your inputs to my problem, here the answers:

Resolution settings and FPS
I play with the in game max resolution 1900 x something on 60hz . But I tried to lower the resolution and/or the frequency. Both had no effect to the stuttering. On medium settings I got usually about 50 to 60 FPS.

Reinstalling, Defragmenting
Yes, I reinstalled the game and I defragged my hard drive.

CPU occupation
I checked the CPU occupation with the perfoverlay but it looked okey to me.

Rollback driver
This is something I dident tried jet. Anyway I played BF3 before with an older driver and had the same issue. Then in January they released a newer one which had also could not stop the micro stuttering.

motion-blur
Yes, I tried with motion-blur on/off as well as many other settings, but the only thing which really seem to work is set soldier’s visibility to max (90) and set graphic settings on low or medium.

I had another graphic card too
Last year I used to have a Geforce 560 wich gave me very smooth and nice performance. Then I cleared the drivers and did a upgrade to the ATI 6870, since then I got the stuttering. That’s the point were I started to try all the stuff I mentioned.

Best,
David

jk47

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
It's not your system, it's the game or the driver. Had the same issue with my previous system, but seemingly to a lesser extent. My specs were

i7-2600 @ 3.4 gHZ
8 GB RAM
AMD 6950

Either the game is optimized poorly or AMD sucks with their drivers.
Also, it made my CPU heat up like nothing I had seen before

SMITH34901

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I agree with Jk47 it probably isn't your system. I have the same graphics card and never experience stuttering so im guessing it is bad drivers or just the game. Might need a re-install on it also my specs are

FX-4100 @ 3.6 (no OC didn't feel like i need it)
8 GB Ram
AMD radeon hd 6870
Sabertooth 990 fx

jk47

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

Hey now, you're a youngster too :p

SMITH34901

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Bahaha woops i mean't to put your name not youngster. Im retarted, i posted this while doing three other things at work :p So sry jk47

dave303

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Hei guys

@Omega21XX
Yes, I just testet the frame-limitation with the software and also by ingamecomands. When I saw that it did not solve the problem, I turned it out.

So if its no my system what can I do to play my favorite game? The readon why I got a change to the ATI card from the market who sold me the pc, is that this PC came wish a Geforce card but different nvidea models showed display errors. So I got the ATI and made a re-installation of the system.

greez