Upgrade from 1650

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan75

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Greetings everyone. A very impressive forum indeed. I will have to spread the word.
I have just bought a Dell 27 ultrasharp. I have an HP Pavilion 7625uk with a Radeon xt1650se Graphics card on a Asus P5BW-LA Motherboard. Chipset Intel p965. Intel Core 2 Duo e36000 1.86GHz.
The 1650 will produce 1680*1050. The monitor is capable of 2560*1440. I wil be buying a new computer when W8 is available and at that time I will exploit the full capabilities of the monitor.
I use my computer for writing, spreadsheets and database work, but playing an occasional game or two would be nice.My Question: I would like a G card with HDMI out that will give me a better performance than the 1650. My budget is around £100 with an absolute max of £150. All polite suggestions are welcome.
Being new to this, I may have indulged in overkill on the info side, but if you require more then please ask.
Regards Bryan

Solution
Well not sure on how you say on the card will not achieve 2560x1440, for your information Dual Link DVI supports up to 2560x1600, which is available on the 6670 card. By the way, I change my mind you are fine with 6770 instead.

bryan75

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you very much for answering my plea to the wilderness. You do not know the sweat and tears that I have passed to get such a simple answer to my question; but as old computer hand, I am sure you will understand how relieved I feel.

Nice english used there, you know how to use it well :).

You Likely kind of hit some bottlenecks (Processor or other main components can't keep up with a typically more high end components), but since it depends on what you will do, can you show me:
1. What you will mainly do
2. What your Other Components such as Power Supply

In my point of view, if you don't want to do something High end and you only want the resolution to go big, You can get an HD 6670, cheaper, less likely to be bottlenecked and doesn't take much power. Here is it, well below 100 pounds.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-261-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=

bryan75

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

REPLY:
Thank you for your suggestion and the compliment on my writing skills. I should warn you that, as a writer, I crave readers for my work. It is a vanity that all writers have. Long gone are the days when I would hide my work from others in case they thought it was rubbish. I have come to terms with fact that most of what I churn out is rubbish; but i also know that some of my deathly prose is not too bad. Enough!
As I said in my original post, I use the comp. for writing, spreadsheets and database work. I am also considering moving to HD DVD copying. At 77 years of age, all of this is hobby stuff; things to keep my mind sharp.
I looked at the card you recommend and nowhwere in the spec does it mention achieving 2560*1440. Are you sure that it will do this?
Regards Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS