Sign in with
Your question

No display until windows loads: Can't get into BIOS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2012 2:21:07 PM

Ok...so I've searched through the forums for an answer to this question, but to no avail. Many of the threads have questions, but no answers in them. Here is the problem:

I just got over a BSOD problem by disabling crossfire on my system. It was working fine for a few days (And it still technically is), but I'm having a strange issue now. The computer turns on and loads windows fine, but the screen is black until Windows actually loads. Basically, I don't see a splash screen for the motherboard and there's no way for me to get into the BIOS.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any ideas?

System Specs:
Processor: Intel i7 3960x
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme 9 X79 chipset
16 GB of RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz
Graphics: 2 x Radeon 7970's (Both cards are connected, despite Crossfire being disabled)
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2012 2:32:19 PM

Which pci-e slot is the BIOS outputting to before windows loads? I had that problem with sli gtx 460's on a gigabyte motherboard when I used the second gtx 460 as the main gpu. The motherboard would output to the first pci-e slot so I would not see the splash screen at all. As soon as windows loaded the video drivers, monitor number two would fire up and all was good.
m
l
February 7, 2012 3:02:32 PM

Hm, I'm not sure. I'm planning on getting rid of the second card (BSOD issues with crossfire...and its technically overkill) so I'll check on this tonight. With only one Graphics card in, I'm guessing the BIOS will be forced to output from the remaining card. Thanks. I'll let you know how it goes!
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2012 8:01:04 PM

Hey alrobichaud,

Thanks for the help. You hit the nail on the head. I feel kinda dumb lol. The computer had to move a few times during the move so apparently I wasn't paying attention the last time and I ended up plugging the monitor into the secondary card. I'm still pretty sure I'm going to get rid of the secondary card because of the BSOD problems, but I'm glad I can get into the BIOS again. Thanks for your help!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2012 3:02:57 PM

Glad I could help:)  I wouldn't feel dumb at all. I ended up scratching my head for a few hours before I figured out what my problem was.
m
l
!