Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Troubleshooting help!

Last response: in CPUs
July 28, 2012 3:53:57 AM

Hello everyone hopefully this isn't too confusing to follow.
I was just fixing some things on my pc and was wondering why my monitor wasn't registering my video card (computer worked fine with mobo video card). Well it turned out I didn't put the power cable into the video card ( lol) and so I turned off the computer but in my haste I did NOT UNPLUG the computer from the power outlet (i know...) so I realize that the power supply that connects to the pins near the CPU (4 pin) will reach the Video card better so after I connect everything up I press the on button and nothing.
Did I fry my CPU or something? I know what I did was very bad etc. Please help. :/ 

More about : cpu troubleshooting

Best solution

a c 109 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 4:02:17 AM

So you plugged the CPU 4 pin connector to your graphics card? That's a no no! I'm not sure how you did that, but I would suggest putting everything back to how it was.

Also to clarify, was the computer shut down when you did this? Or was it still on? Keeping the power supply plugged into the wall while your computer is shut down won't harm it in any way.
July 28, 2012 4:23:20 AM

Thanks for the reply I'm trying to reset everything to the way it was. My computer was off (nothing was running, led was off etc.) but my powersupply switch was in the on position and plugged into an outlet.
m
l
Related resources
a c 109 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 4:25:04 AM

Yulesh said:
Thanks for the reply I'm trying to reset everything to the way it was. My computer was off (nothing was running, led was off etc.) but my powersupply switch was in the on position and plugged into an outlet.

As long as your computer was off, you have nothing to worry about even if your PSU was in the 'on' position :) 

Your PSU is made so it won't turn on unless it gets a signal from the motherboard.
m
l
July 28, 2012 4:40:51 AM

Hello thanks for the help. My computer is working again! (My CPU isn't dead I guess) although the video card is now running with no power in the slot. The weird thing is both cables work in the CPU slot but only one works in the video card (which is the one currently being used on the CPU).
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 4:43:01 AM

Yulesh said:
Hello thanks for the help. My computer is working again! (My CPU isn't dead I guess) although the video card is now running with no power in the slot. The weird thing is both cables work in the CPU slot but only one works in the video card (which is the one currently being used on the CPU).

You're welcome!

What does the power port on your GPU look like? I'm very curious to this as well to be honest...since those plugs SHOULD be keyed so only one works on one thing.
m
l
July 28, 2012 5:27:27 AM

My mistake was that I was putting a 4pin into a 6pin PCI express thing (facepalm). There was this dark cord in the corner which I didn't see before which fit the graphics card thing perfectly and now everything works :)  I am still very new to building computers lol
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2012 5:29:08 AM

Yulesh said:
My mistake was that I was putting a 4pin into a 6pin PCI express thing (facepalm). There was this dark cord in the corner which I didn't see before which fit the graphics card thing perfectly and now everything works :)  I am still very new to building computers lol

Ahhh that explains it! :) 

Glad to know you found the proper connector :lol: 
m
l
July 28, 2012 3:09:06 PM

Best answer selected by Yulesh.
m
l
!