Sign in with
Your question

Does monitor size matter?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2012 5:59:29 PM

Hello,
I have read many articles on multi monitor use but have not run across just 1 larger monitor. I just bought a new Samsung 46" 3d tv. I am wondering the effects on my EVGA GTX 570 video card vrs say the 3 monitor setups. I mainly will use for tv and 3d gaming SWTOR. Any input is appreciated.

More about : monitor size matter

February 7, 2012 6:12:07 PM

The size of your screen will not affect the performance of your graphics card. Multiple displays will have an effect on your graphics performance :3

Edit: Also, Resolution will have an effect on performance as well.
a b Î Nvidia
a b x TV
a b C Monitor
February 7, 2012 6:19:10 PM

In general a TV has a lower number of pixels then a computer monitor of the same size.

So if you have your 46" TV with 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Then you have lets say 3 screens(24") @ 1920 x 1200(or even 1080) then the pc is pushing 1920 x 3600(or 3240).

If the same screens are NOT sideways and just one next to the other , then you get 1200 x 5760. 3 screens will hurt performance a fair bit.

This is all just numbers, a computer screen at 30 inches tends to have even more pixel(2560 × 1600) then lets say and average 24" screen.

I would stick with what you have if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse that works well. After all watching TV can get distracting across 3 screens and no tv shows are THAT wide.

IF you are sitting close, then a computer screen may look better because of the smaller pixels, but from the couch, i think you will be fine.
Related resources
February 7, 2012 6:23:20 PM

nukemaster said:
In general a TV has a lower number of pixels then a computer monitor of the same size.

So if you have your 46" TV with 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Then you have lets say 3 screens(24") @ 1920 x 1200(or even 1080) then the pc is pushing 1920 x 3600(or 3240).

If the same screens are NOT sideways and just one next to the other , then you get 1200 x 5760. 3 screens will hurt performance a fair bit.

This is all just numbers, a computer screen at 30 inches tends to have even more pixel(2560 × 1600) then lets say and average 24" screen.

I would stick with what you have if you have a wireless keyboard and mouse that works well. After all watching TV can get distracting across 3 screens and no tv shows are THAT wide.

IF you are sitting close, then a computer screen may look better because of the smaller pixels, but from the couch, i think you will be fine.

I beg to differ with you. Very few dedicated monitors have resolutions above 1920 x 1080 and they are extremely expensive. The last time I looked I found one on Newegg.
February 7, 2012 6:23:42 PM

mazsta said:
Hello,
I have read many articles on multi monitor use but have not run across just 1 larger monitor. I just bought a new Samsung 46" 3d tv. I am wondering the effects on my EVGA GTX 570 video card vrs say the 3 monitor setups. I mainly will use for tv and 3d gaming SWTOR. Any input is appreciated.

As Fuyukazehime said, resolution is what matters.

If you buy a 1080p 46" TV, it will put the same amount of load on your graphics card as a 1080p 23" monitor. The reason multimonitor setups are hard for gfx cards to do is because it is a simulated very wide resolution setup (like 5760x1080 pixels for a trimonitor 1080p setup) or very tall setup (1920x3240 pixels for a trimonitor setup) or both.

It has to do with how a graphics card processes the image. It does it in parallel (therefore computing all pixels simultaneously) so the more pixels it has to compute, the harder it will stess the card.
a b C Monitor
February 7, 2012 6:31:25 PM

Your Samsung TV has a display resolution of 1920x1080. That means 2,073,600 pixels to be displayed across a 46" screen.

A 24" computer monitor with a display resolution of 1920x1080 has exactly the same number of pixels as your 46" monitor. This means the pixels of the 46" screen are physically larger (and more noticeable and grainy) than the pixels on the 24" screen.

A 3 monitor setup consisting of three 1920x1080 monitors has 6,220,800 pixels. Your computer can address each one of those pixels. That means your computer can show you three times as many pixels than on either the 46" screen or the single 24" screen.

What does this mean in gaming? It means you have 3 times the viewing area (and rendering needs) than you would on the 46" screen or the 24" single screen.

When you look at the image of the 46" screen and the single 24" screen, the image is exactly the same only blown up bigger on the 46" screen. When you look at the three monitor setup you can actually see more (you get panoramic or wide-angle view of your surroundings).

In SW:TOR for instance, a three monitor setup has full peripheral vision which makes you feel more immersed in the game. Because our eyes have extremely wide viewing capability, ultra-widescreen resolutions seem more realistic. That's why they dumped fullscreen (4:3) for widescreen (16:9).

Additionally in games vendor windows, inventory windows, meters, etc. are placed on the left or right monitor which keeps your center monitor clear so you can see. In more mature games like WoW you can get addons that allow any UI window to be unlocked, dragged to another location and then locked there. It really frees up your vision.

I think you will be very happy gaming with your gtx570 and the 46" HDTV. Doing a triple monitor setup would at least require getting another 570 in your situation. It's something to consider. You can look on youtube, a zillion people have their triple monitor setups on display playing games. It'll give you an idea of what you're missing.
February 7, 2012 7:03:51 PM

thank you for the input.
February 7, 2012 7:25:10 PM

if she says no, she is just trying to make u feel better about yourself
!