Homebuilt computer won't boot into windows...

arizero

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I just finished butting together an AMD Phenom X6 system with an ECS motherboard and an ATI 5570 graphics card. The system gets to the windows screen, then a blue screen flashes really quickly, then it reboots itself. Not quite sure what I'm doing wrong here; please help! I've already tried taking out all the sticks of ram except one, and I've used both the graphics card (with onboard video disabled) along with taking the graphics card out and using the onboard video. Thanks everyone!

arizero

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012

What settings should I be looking at? I'm not really great at this kind of stuff...

pull the card out and boot into windows using the onboard video. go to ecs web page and check that you have the newest mb chipset drivers. also check the mb bios if there are any needed bug fixes. most bios updates are for bugs or cpu code updates. if yours is fine leave it alone.

Are you trying to use an old hard drive with Windows already installed on it? If so, that's your problem. You can't take a hard drive out of one system and put it in another. There are registry settings and drivers for your old hardware still there. You will have to do a fresh OS install if you're trying to use an old hard drive.

arizero

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I am using an old hard drive. I swear I've done it before and haven't had any issues. If that's the advice though then I guess it's worth a shot. Anyone else have any advice before I wipe my hard drive clean?