Your question

~$750-$800 New Build First Time Advice

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 15, 2012 5:32:15 PM

Hey everyone. Great website and forum here. I have found answers to most of my questions without asking. I have put together the following potential build and would like some feedback from everyone. This build is pretty much my max for my budget so I can't really go anymore expensive. I am looking for the computer to be a great all around computer that I will also do some gaming with like Call of Duty etc. I am not interested in crossfire or SLI yet and probably not anytime soon but I thought I should get a motherboard where I am able to in case I decide to do it. I also will not be overclocking right away either since I haven't educated myself fully on the topic and don't have an aftermarket cooler in my build but like the option of doing it in the future. Thanks again everyone. This is my first time posting so hopefully I have followed the proper guideline that I read. Thanks once again!

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: ~$800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, internet surfing, home billing, etc.

Parts Not Required: I currently have a keyboard, mouse, speakers and a monitor (however it is kind of old, its a 19 inch LG LCD Flatron. Not sure of the specs but the little sticker I am looking at says 4ms, 1400:1 digital fine contrast. This monitor is temporary and after the build when I save up I plan on getting a widescreen monitor, maybe in the 21-22 inch range, HD.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg and maybe tigerdirect.com(tigerdiret seems to be a little mroe expensive though on most products compared to newegg.

Country: I am a resident of the USA. Florida to be specific.

Parts Preferences: I definitely want an intel CPU. I want a larger case but not necessarily something way too large than is practical.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: I do not currently know my current monitor resolution. It is about 5 years old and is a 19 inch LCD LG Flatron. In the future however I would like to upgrade to a nice HD one.

Additional Comments: I currently do not have a network plug by my computer so I will be using WIFI. In the future I will run a cable but it will require some construction in my house.

Ok here's the parts I have put together, let me know what everyone thinks! Thanks again!

hopefully this works...... its my newegg wishlist.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Just some background on why I made some of the selections I did. I went a little cheap and only 4gb on the ram to save money. Once I get it built I will upgrade the Ram to include more RAM but I just wanted enough to get going. I will eventually get a bluray but once again, I got something cheap just to get going. I opted for a 500gb hardrive since I don't do much video stuff but I will add another hard drive down the road. I went with the i5 instead of i7 to save money. Hopefully I picked a decent Mobo. My hardest decision was the PSU.

More about : 750 800 build time advice

April 15, 2012 5:48:10 PM

Most people warn against Thermaltake. You don't need a 750W... a 550W Antec is fine ($70):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm assuming you can't wait two weeks for Ivy Bridge... can you? Anyway, I'd switch the mobo to ASRock Extreme3 Gen3... it's also cheaper ($130)!

For an $800 build, a 6850 is way too weak. Also, the 6850 you have is REALLY expensive... probably because it's ultra-durable. Don't know why you need that. At least get a 6870, GTX 560 Ti would be nice, a 7850 would fulfill your dreams. The 7850 is $250, and I suggest that whatever card you get, you pick the MSI version (Twin Frozr II OC, if there's no OC version, then Hawk).

I just don't understand where your build is getting so expensive. I don't remember suggesting $800 builds that couldn't hold a GTX 560 Ti...
m
l
April 15, 2012 6:04:48 PM

ddan49 said:
Most people warn against Thermaltake. You don't need a 750W... a 550W Antec is fine ($70):

I'm assuming you can't wait two weeks for Ivy Bridge... can you? Anyway, I'd switch the mobo to ASRock Extreme3 Gen3... it's also cheaper ($130)!

For an $800 build, a 6850 is way too weak. Also, the 6850 you have is REALLY expensive... probably because it's ultra-durable. Don't know why you need that. At least get a 6870, GTX 560 Ti would be nice, a 7850 would fulfill your dreams. The 7850 is $250, and I suggest that whatever card you get, you pick the MSI version (Twin Frozr II OC, if there's no OC version, then Hawk).

I just don't understand where your build is getting so expensive. I don't remember suggesting $800 builds that couldn't hold a GTX 560 Ti...

Hmmm, ok I will take a look again at video cards. To be honest, I selected the video card for price and thats about it. Just because my budget is a little tight. I guess its not that I can't wait but with ivy bridge being new, for me to buy a CPU that is ivy bridge with similar speeds, won't it be more expensive since its the newest cpu? It sucks being on a tight budget...... Also, will a 550w power supply be enough with overclocking? I read somewhere that when you overclock a CPU, that you need to make sure you have a big enough power supply but I'm not sure how much more power is actually needed. Thanks for your response.
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2012 7:42:44 PM

maz227 said:
Is this maybe a better PSU I should look at? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Looks good! Although 700W (and 750 for that matter) is too much... you can get by with a 550W, 650W if you want to be safe. HAF 912 is a good case, as well. Get the 7850, though. PSU might be a little weak, as well. Oh, and I'd suggest going with the overclockable route... just better value! IB can reach 4.8GHz easy!
m
l