OK, I'm planning on building a new system for home use so would really welcome some advice. Here are my general criteria first:
Approximate Purchase Date: next 3-4 weeks Budget Range: GBP 700-800 System Usage from Most to Least Important:
- digital photography (may soon include some video editing if I replace my SLR body with one that does HD video)
- general home use (internet, office stuff, kids games)
- gaming (out of the loop for the last few years but used to play the Total War series and various FPS like CoD and want to start playing again)
- software development (my day job - usually on a dedicated work machine but may need to do stuff at home from time-to-time) - may involve Linux on a VM/dual boot Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ebuyer.com, scan.co.uk (but other suggestions welcome - I work at an academic institute so anywhere that does academic staff discount would be good!) Country: UK Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case) - no strong preference Overclocking: Maybe - its not something I want to do right now but I’d like the option at a later date hence the choice of CPU/mobo SLI or Crossfire: Maybe - not likely, but would like the option. Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 Additional Comments: Case should be unobstrusive (not too many flashing lights!) and relatively quiet as it shares a room with general living space for the family (its at one end of a pretty big room but my current aged machine sounds like a jet engine...). I’m also keen on something thats going to last a good few years (with occasional upgrades as needed), hence I’m spending a bit more than I probably need to right now.
My main questions are:
- is the Silencio 550 a a good option for a case? I need a good balance of quietness vs. utility and the bundle I found seems to be quite decent but not sure how it’ll fit with possibly overclocking in future.
- I went for the 560 rather than 560Ti as the difference in performance doesn’t seem huge. Its an extra £40 or so for a 560Ti and I’m wondering if thats worth the money or not. I should also point out that I don’t have any strong preference for Nvidia vs. AMD so if there's something of similar power and better value, it'd be good to know.
- the SSD is going to be a primary drive for the OS and the odd frequently used application. I think its probably a bit of an indulgence so any views welcome on if I’m wasting my cash..
Any comments very welcome - and please let me know if I've missed anything out...
Lastly, I see your recommendations don't include an SSD - I take it you think that its not worth the money? It also appears that you can use smaller SSDs with Ivy Bridge for caching, so maybe thats an alternative at some point?