A+/Network+ Certifications Worth It?

wolfman140

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
OK so its not in the right thread, but lets face it, anything but the cpu thread ain't so hot.
Anywho, I imagine a lot of you posters here have an A+ and/or Network+ certifications and many more. I am an avid computer enthusiast and builder like many of you, but I went to college for Music Industry. I wanted computers/networks to be my backup plan.
So when it comes time for me to say "OK I want to start an IT career." I have no credentials besides a year I worked at the College Helpdesk. So, I'm seriously looking into starting by taking a week training/exam of A+ and Network+ certifications. Is this a worth-it experience? Whether its worth it or not, I feel like if I want to get anyone to look at my resume for more than 1 second I need some certifications on there...Then maybe over time I'd get an MSCE2003 here, and Security+ there. Any comments or stories to tell? Any advice? Thanks!

danny9894

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
As a backup I would do it. I am currently talking a A+ prep class at the local technical college and would recommend to anybody who has any interest in computers and want to learn more. I was kind of arrogant when I first started taking the class thinking I wouldn't learn anything but I was such a dumbass. In my Senior year of high school next year I am planning on taking the A+ test :)