Sign in with
Your question

Good purchase? HPp7xt

Last response: in Systems
April 15, 2012 6:39:47 PM

Hi everyone,

My PC recently died so I needed to buy a new one. My old one was an HP 752n w/ P4 [2.0GHz] that I bought in 2002. Amazing that it lasted 10 years and except for the last couple years, ran great and even faster than new (but cheap) machines. It was a high-end mainstream computer when I bought it like the i7's today.

Anyway, I didn't want to buy some cheap junk but I didn't want to spend $1,000 this time on an i7 system either, so I did some research and tried to find some middle ground. I'm not a gamer, might do some video editing at times and play 2D games, but otherwise just use the computer for internet surfing and regular software apps.

This is what I bought:

HP Pavilion p7xt customizable Desktop PC

Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit] OS
Intel Core i3-2120 processor [3.3GHz, 3MB cache]
6GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM
1TB 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
300W PSU
SuperMulti DVD Burner
Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)
15-in-1 memory card reader, USB ports, etc.
$469.99

HP 2211x 21.5" LED Monitor
$149.99

I'm also looking at buying and installing a graphics card myself, hopefully +/- $50 or less.

The one thing that is a must for me is a computer that is fast and does not bog down.
My family have some E-machine AMD E-series type machines and you can't do anything on them w/out slowing down!

I also wanted a good product that will last many years, and I'm comfortable with HP / Intel because of my last purchase.

Was this a good buy at this price?
I also looked at the i-5's as the next PC level up (quad cores) but it was another couple hundred bucks.

Thanks!

More about : good purchase hpp7xt

April 15, 2012 11:13:39 PM

Stupid Username said:
Pretty good buy, besides the weak power supply. The onboard might be able to do what you want if not
this card is 59.99 after mail in rebate and it is very powerful for the price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know any comparable Nvidea cards at that price/performance? I just want to compare.

Add:
Also can anyone inform me about "low-profile ready" etc.
Given the PC I purchased, would I need to worry about any things like that? tia
m
l
Related resources
a b α HP
April 16, 2012 12:45:55 AM

For an expansion card "low profile" means it can fit a slimline PC. It looks like that model is a regular size desktop so a full-size card will fit.

You may need to upgrade the power supply to add a video card, but the current entry level from Nvidia is the Geforce 520.
m
l
April 16, 2012 1:15:12 AM

Thanks ShizTech, I was looking at:

GeForce 210 and 520, as well as 430 and 440,
however for 430 and 440 some manufacturers listed 300W minimum, others listed 400W.
Therefore, I was concerned about 430 and 440 and looking more at 210 and 520.

I'd like to edit HD video (if possible in 1080p) but that's the only heavy lifting I have to do.
Otherwise just play old school 2D games (full screen), surf internet, regular software apps, etc.

No need for more than 1 monitor!

Given all this you think 210 or 520 or either would work for me?
m
l
a b α HP
April 16, 2012 1:28:52 AM

The 520 is a much more powerful card than the 210, and should be OK with a 300W supply.
m
l
April 16, 2012 1:58:18 AM

Both the 210 and 520 are a waste of money at their price points. For the same or a few bucks more you can get a much better ATI card. The HD 6570 can be found for $50 and performs even better than a Geforce GT 530 and comparable to a Geforce GT 240 (both cost more than the HD 6570).

Even if you don't play games requiring the muscle now, it would at least offer some assurance of performance if you decided to since this puts you at the high end of the consumer grade cards (extreme low end of enthusiast grade).

In regards to power supply requirments, no worries. All of these cards are extremely low draw and since you won't be overclocking the CPU or GPU there should be no reason to worry about ever exceeding the limit with these cards, even with a 300W PSU.
m
l
April 16, 2012 2:22:11 AM

Thanks again, one more question I'm worried now!

I called HP to find out specs, they say if I add a graphics card my warranty is void!!

I am thinking about sending the PC back under returns/exchanges policy,
and just asking for one with the OEM card, it's hard to imagine saving $20-30 is worth losing the 1-2 year warranty.
m
l
April 16, 2012 2:57:56 AM

RealVen said:
Thanks again, one more question I'm worried now!

I called HP to find out specs, they say if I add a graphics card my warranty is void!!

I am thinking about sending the PC back under returns/exchanges policy,
and just asking for one with the OEM card, it's hard to imagine saving $20-30 is worth losing the 1-2 year warranty.

That sounds mildly illegal actually. I would find your warranty online and look into that yourself. They'll say anything they can to make money.

<---- This guy "might" or "might not" hate HP. Hint...I do.
m
l
April 16, 2012 3:31:32 AM

Well I've only owned one other computer before, it was an HP I bought in 2002 when I went to college, and lasted 10 years. Always ran great until the last 24 months or so, but even then we're talking almost 8 years it ran flawlessly. At this point I always trust HP products and Intel chips.

That said, it's inexcusable they would not tell you during purchase the warranty will be void if you upgrade the computer on your own. Now I have two options, either stick with the integrated graphics they send me, or return the PC, wait for them to build another, then wait for that one to ship ... in essence, not get a computer until early May.

I can't see myself waiting a month to get a new computer, so now I'm SOL with an integrated graphics card and everything eating into my RAM. Wonderful.

m
l
April 16, 2012 11:53:28 AM

You could always just order the GPU from HP. But get ready to pay through the nose.

Also, you can always install a new one, never mention it to them and go on your marry way making sure to remove it should it ever go back in for warranty work.
m
l
!