theboi808

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hey guys,

So ive been having quite a bit of issues with my hard drives and etc. It came to the point where I needed to clear my cmos.

Before I did that, I had my computer OC'd to 4.0 from 3.2. It recently started this double boot. After I push the power button, my computer comes on. My mobo picture comes up then Windows 7 says "Windows Starting" with the little animation. Then a black screen comes up then it takes me back to the mobo picture then tells me an error as occurred. When I hit "start windows normally," it works fine.

I just set my mobo to default settings and I noticed that this issue doesnt occur. I reclocked my CPU to 4.0 and then I noticed the issue happened again.

CPU- AMD Phenom ii X4 955 @ 3.2 OC'd to 4.0MHz

Mobo- MSI 790FX-GD70

Ram- 12 gbs. Corsair XMS3 (2x 2gb & 2x 4gb) not OC'd

OS- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

theboi808

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Okay. I found the problem (finally). For you overclockers, MAKE SURE spread spectrum is disabled. Once i turned that off, my boot issues stopped. I just have to deal withthehypertransoprt sync flood error now. Theres no straight foward answer for what it is.

InvalidError

Titan

The exact wording is a little fuzzy on the nature of the problem but my interpretation of what it means is that Hypertransport endpoints are reporting errors with maintaining sync between components. If you overclocked the HT bus either explicitly or incidentally, you might have exceeded the chipset's comfort zone.

theboi808

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hey thanks for commenting invalid.

The thing is, is that I didn't touch anything dealing with the HT. The only things I have touched were CPU voltages and speed along with the cool n quiet, and core unlock etc. When you say the hyper transport endpoints, is that also known as the bridges (north south)? Are those the ones that are having some errors and issue sending info back and forth?

InvalidError

Titan

The "north bridge" used to contain the memory controller, IGP, GPU interface, IO/peripheral hub interface and a few other functions most of which have been integrated into modern CPUs on both Intel and AMD sides. The 'north' bridge is effectively history, only the 'south bridge' (IO/peripheral hub) remains and even this is going away on the Intel side with Broadwell ~2 years from now.

And yes, pretty much the only thing that uses hypertransport in a typical AMD system is the CPU-to-chipset interface. On multi-socket Opteron boards, HT is also used between CPUs.

theboi808

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I see. Well thanks for the info man. Its really usefull. Ill be upgrading to the fx8150 and asus formula v soon so hopefully there will be less errors and issues that i will have to deal with