Reboot loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
I have a computer with a P4MST890 Pentium D 3.0GHz, 9800GTX+ and a 500GB SATA. When I put Windows 7 on it the first time it worked perfect and I restarted it a few times and it loaded each time but the next morning I turned it on and it would fall into a reboot loop. If I remove the Graphics card and use the onboard card it works fine. This has really puzzled me on what could make it do that because it worked the first time with it in there.

Any help would be great Thanks. :)

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

I'll have to try that. It is a PNY 9800GTX+

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

How do you do VGA mode there are two DVI's on the card only. I didn't say this in the first post but it won't boot into windows at all it post's then reboots. I have not triad Safe-mode yet though. I just wanted a list of ideas before I went to install it again.

Thanks!

You get into VGA mode by pressing F8 during boot and choosing it from the menu (it will still output via the DVI connector). But, if you're not getting that far that's not going to work. I'm beginning to wonder if your video card has a hardware fault; I'm not aware of anything else that would cause a reboot without even trying to boot Windows.

You could always remove the video card, boot, remove the drivers, shutdown and put the card back in to see what happens.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

The Video Card works fine with XP. Could it still be faulty hardware? I've never had any problems with it.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Ok I installed Windows 7 again and Pressed F8 but after it post's it just goes black and restarts. I have tried a number of Bios settings and nothing works!
Are there any other suggestions that I might try? I don't understand why it worked fine the first time I installed but now nothing! :(

Is this with the video card, or onboard video?

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

How do you get to safe mode? The only way I know how is by F8 and it wont even do that. When I press F8 it looks like its going to that options screen (Not sure what its called) but then just restarts. I have tried to take the card out and install drivers but they wont install without the card.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Do I do this still using the onboard video after I plug the power into the Main card?

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

I tried it and neither cards will show any video. I think it is because with the card in it' it wants to use the PCIe slot so that's why the onboard won't work too. and I didn't see any Bios setting that lets you choose which one to use.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Cant find anything like that.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Ya I got the Bios Update. I think I am going to give up on it. I have been trying to fix this thing forever. Nothing works.
Thanks for all the help though.

CCBaxter_64

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I had a loop problem with a sound card v. onboard sound. I fixed it by disabling the onboard sound. I would try disabling the onboard graphics in BIOS then uninstalling the graphics card in Device Manager. Reboot and let windows ask for drivers. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.