Azeem's Discussion on GPU

Hello.

Which GPU, along with my i5-2500k and ASRock Extreme3 Gen3, will run Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 at 60 FPS on high settings? I don't want to go above 60fps by too much since I like to see the difference, and the human eye cannot tell the difference above 60fps.

EDIT: Oh, and I will be OCing to 4.5 GHz with only 2x Anti-aliasing.

Thanks.

You'll get more, but it won't appear on your screen. Your monitor, unless it's a very new and expensive model, refreshes at 60Hz, so it can only display 60 fps, ever. Turning on Vertical Sync matches your GPU's output to the monitor's refresh rate, so it never tries to display half each of two consecutive frames (screen tearing).
I think you might be able to get close to 60fps on Ultra, with drops to around 45fps. You can decide whether or not that matters, whether you'd rather have an imperfect framerate on Ultra or a perfect one on High.

All I want is 60fps average. Drops to 45fps don't matter to me as long as they are in crowded areas. :)

I am guessing the 7950 should give me that experience, but I am not entirely sure. I am not so smart when it comes to comparing GPUs, so mind my questions. :p

Neither can max today's most demanding games (defined as a fairly consistent 60fps on the maximum settings with a reasonable amount of AA). It takes 6970 SLI to max Crysis 2. The OP asked about playing on high settings, which I assume to be out of low-medium-high-ultra.

Yeah, I am not really interested in ultra settings because high is good enough for me. As long as the image quality is alright and there is no lag, which is less likely to happen (the lag being more) on high settings; and yes, I did mean out of low-medium-high-ultra. :p

Is the Antec Earthwatts's 750W unit good as well?

EDIT: Just as an fyi, the reason I am building a gaming computer is because I have heard so much about all these titles but never got to play console games, so I am a complete beginner for any type of "gaming" (Runescape doesn't really count as gaming to me :p). My current computer is a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6024, which can't even run Runescape on min settings, let alone any gaming title out atm lol. Even when browsing the web, I lag and freeze up, and it's not even my internet (the upstairs computer my mom has can load pages quickly). So that is why I am building this gaming computer and have asked SO MANY questions on the parts and how to get into gaming and whatnot.

DM186

Splendid
I sort of did that I just got tired of burning out store bought rigs. They just didn't do what I was wanting. Grant you my choice of cards and PSU were way off but they do the type of gaming I like to do and that is strategy.

I am big on strategy and some puzzle arcade type games. I like some RPG type as long as it isn't first person. It make's me dizzy headed. So as long as I get 30 and above FPS I am happy.

I don't blame you for doing so much reserch, this cost a lot of money and you want to make sure your investment is going to pan out. I kinda wished that I knew about Tom's before I bought my cards. But o'well.

At least you are doing the right thing. I hope everything turns out good for you I really do. This is an important thing. You spend 1000 dollars vs a Xbox 360 for 300 dollars. Ya very important.

DM186

Splendid
That is a shame that has happened. The only place I check on new builds is CyberPower. I never thought to check the others. I always try to say something to people who have posted a thread and they are getting passed up. Anyway I try. But that is just me.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010

lol not big on the ultra game eh? rofl.