Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Unplayable lag Please help!!=[

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2012 12:16:57 AM

Hi, this is my first time posting here...and I'm really stumped as to what the problem is...I have been playing starcraft 2 since the release date which was over a year ago....and I haven't had any problems...but recently while I am playing the FPS drops literally to 0 from 40-50 fps and then pops back up and then drops again...I have no idea what is wrong....I have searched over and over on forums and whatnot...but no one seems to know what the problem is....I replaced my old graphics card lately with a Radeon HD 6950 and also i bought some new G Skill ram specifically my system is :
Windows Xp Service pack 3
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @2.70 GHz
G.SKILL F2-6400PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 Ram
Radeon HD 6950 Graphics Card

I have also checked my temperatures
http://i41.tinypic.com/24uwy8m.jpg
It seems to me everything is quite normal...

I've also installed the new drivers to my graphics card, direct X 11 recently...and Avast Antivirus...I've ran ad aware, spybot, and Avast and eliminated all the spyware/ viruses....I've actually also tried Formatting my computer but to no avail...Is there something wrong with my system? I really need help.....please and thanks in advance=]

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Oh yea...Although I don't think this would be the problem...I thought it might be useful the requires for starcraft 2:

PC Minimum System Requirements*:

Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
12 GB available HD space
1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection
1024X720 minimum display resolution

PC Recommended Specifications:

Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
2 GB RAM
512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

More about : unplayable lag

February 8, 2012 1:29:58 AM

If this problem started after you installed the new card it could be the card. Have you had this problem on any other games?
Score
February 8, 2012 1:32:09 AM

well actually it did start after...but not right after i installed it i don't think....it was several months after i installed it....and well to be honest i don't really know about other games because i don't have time to try it haha
Score
Related resources
February 8, 2012 1:57:29 AM

XP fails after a while. As a rule I used to reinstall every 2 months to keep it crisp. This is one of the reasons why I enjoy Win 7 so much. If you replaced the card and installed drivers to replace the old ones then this can cause issues as well.

The best solution would be to upgrade to Win 7 and start afresh. Otherwise reinstall XP and start afresh with all the latest driver immediately after install and applying service pack 3.
Score
February 8, 2012 2:12:28 AM

Are you playing online? Clear your browser cache.
Score
February 8, 2012 2:47:54 AM

hey guys I'm somewhat confused....so I just reinstalled my old graphics card....which is nvidia geforce 8600 gt....and it runs perfectly fine without too lower fps....but with my new graphics card...the radeon 6950 it drops fps to 0 every now and then? what is the problem with the new graphics card? does my system not support it or something? sorry if I'm kinda noob but I don't know what exactly I need to support the new graphics card....I'd prefer to use my new graphics card....what exactly do I need to change or upgrade to use it?
Score
February 8, 2012 3:52:08 AM

Sounds to me like your power supply is not up to the task. You do have the HD 6950 plugged in right? What power supply do you have?
Score
February 8, 2012 4:16:40 AM

i have it plugged in properly lol you just plug it into the video card slot then plug in the two pci-e cables.....but as for my psu...its antec earthwatts 500w max. I believe that meets the requirements because on the box it says 500 watt or greater power supply with two 75w 6pin PCI express...not really sure what the two 75w 6 pin PCI express is because I don't know how to tell how many watts the PCI-e's are lol
Score

Best solution

February 8, 2012 5:19:18 AM

The power supply is plenty as long as it's not failing. The way you are having problems with the newer high power card but not with the older lower powered card could be a failing power supply. You are completely uninstalling the Nvidia driver and installing the AMD driver and vise versa right? Any way to test with a different power supply?
February 8, 2012 5:33:26 AM

actually no i didn't uninstall the nvida driver to install the amd driver...or vice versa XD i ll get back to you on that tomorrow same with the power supply i think i have an older one i can try...but not sure if its working...but yea it's late here haha I'll get back to this tomorrow...been working on it all day XD trying to figure out why it's doing what it's doing...but for now thank you everyone for the input...i will be sure to figure those questions out tomorrow anort3=]
Score
February 8, 2012 5:34:55 AM

Your cpu is bottlenecking the 6950.
Score
February 8, 2012 5:39:22 AM

amuffin said:
Your cpu is bottlenecking the 6950.

Not to 0 FPS it's not. Completely uninstall any driver before you install a new one. Too bad Driver Sweeper is not available anymore. If that does not fix the problem try a different power supply.
Score
February 8, 2012 5:53:35 AM

anort3 said:
Not to 0 FPS it's not. Completely uninstall any driver before you install a new one. Too bad Driver Sweeper is not available anymore. If that does not fix the problem try a different power supply.

Driver sweeper isn't available anymore???? :o 
Score
February 8, 2012 5:55:20 AM

Nope. Guru 3d took it off their site. New version was full of Spyware. I have several of the old versions saved to various hard drives thankfully.
Score
February 8, 2012 6:04:45 AM

try running 3D mark or Heavenly benchmark to test your VGA , if it runs fine and u get a "Matching" Score , then the VGA is fine ...
Score
February 8, 2012 9:38:50 AM

I still think it is software related. You cant run XP for months on end and swap out hardware without slow down and driver failure. XP was made a decade ago.
Score
February 8, 2012 9:11:32 PM

okay so....i tried the uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and as far as i can tell it seems to have solved the problem! =] thx a bunch everyone for the feedback=P you guys are awesome=D
Score
February 8, 2012 9:16:44 PM

Always make sure to uninstall the old driver before installing a new one. Even if you are just updating to a newer driver from the same manufacturer but especially if you are going from AMD to Nvidia ! Glad it worked for ya.
Score
February 15, 2012 7:08:42 PM

Best answer selected by Cloudshade.
Score
February 15, 2012 7:32:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!