PSU for GTX 670 and i5-3570k

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Which of these will do? I will probably overclock in the future:

Silverstone ST50F-ES or XFX P1-550S-XXB9

or any other PSU that is below 70$ (in canada)

Thanks.

Solution

With the 450W, you are NOT OKAY to do SLI with 2 GTX670s. With the 750W, you ARE OKAY with SLI, and then some. That is a factor for you based on your desires to SLI.

And looniam is right, it is reasonable but not the best to assume that the review of the 450W unit extrapolates and extends to the 750W unit, for one, I suspect the topology is different because the 750W unit is much higher powered, and USUALLY the topology changes for PSUs if you want efficiency at above 500 Watts or so.

One shouldn't skimp on the quality...
With the GTX and 3570k requireing less power than thier predesesors the 550w XFX would be good enough to run your components. The question is are you planning on SLI down the road? Are you planning on a water cooling system? Is there anything in your plans that would require more power(watts)?
If not then the 550w will do. The 500w Silverstone while a nice psu is pushing it.

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

I actually am planning to possibly SLI in the future however I desperately need to cut back on whatever I can to get a gtx 670 and i5-3570k under a 1000$ budget.
How about this one? Kingwin ABT-750MM. It's 750W and only $59.99. Rated 4.5 stars on pcpartspicker too.

When trying to save money and start looking at cheaper components you then get what you pay for and while the psu might be a good one by being less expensive they have to cut something. In this case I see only two Pci-e cables which means you can hookup one video card and the scond video card would have to be cnnected with adaptors. The feedback on Newegg is good and people do like it but it has it's limitations.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

you do not need 750 watts

a 500 watt psu is not pushing it. my rig right now pulls 330 watts from the wall and its a water cooled i7 thats overclocked to 4.6@1.375v. on top of that my 6950 is overclocked to 900mhz and 1325 memory. add 7 fans and a cd drive.

that 330 watts is at the wall while playing bf3.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

You are right, but that's a good variety of suggestions I made. Also, see:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/05/04/enermax_naxn_750w_power_supply_unit_review/4

For the efficiency table of the Enermax, it is very efficient at lower loads ~200W, so you are gaining much, if any efficiency by going to a lower wattage model.

That Enermax is not my favourate, but able to handle the SLI with dual 670s as the OP mentioned in his 2nd post.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Kingwin-ABT-450MM-Power-Supply-Review/533

That's a review of the 450W version of the same Kingwin ABT series. The review begins with "...one of the most low-end power supplies from Kingwin, targeted to users building a very basic PC..." and ends with "...not the best 450 W power supply around, but it does a decent job for its price range, and that is why we are giving it our Bronze Award seal."

So, it seems to be acceptable. I would say that for a low cost power supply to earn a seal at Hardware Secrets, it seems to be a good choice for budget builds.

badhomaks

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

For some reason I could not find any stores in Canada that have the 450W version in stock. So is it ok if I go with the 750W version? With that much watts I can add another 670 in the future with no problems.

G

it may be reasonable but not exactly the best logic to believe that what the quality of one wattage/series is the same in a different wattage/series from the same manufacturer.

you can try looking here for reviews of which model of kingwin you are looking at:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page521.htm

The thing about power supplies is that you can get any one that you want and if your trying to future proof and have plans on a second card then a 750w would work. You may not need all 750w but there's no rule that says you can't have extra watts. In the event you add other things , fans , lights , water cooling , anything that requires power you know that you have it covered and you won't have to upgrade the psu. I personaly like having the extra watts because it gives me the flexability to add whatever I want. If you have the money you can try getting a better brand , I'm always suspicious of something on sale for a low low price and when you see top quality brands not having sales and rebates that often your more apt to think that theres quality there.

guicane

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I have just built a pc with the same cpu and gpu and was advised to get a Corsair TX650M which I did and so far had no problems with it. I'm not sure in Canada but here in the UK it cost me around £75.

Maxx_Power

Distinguished

With the 450W, you are NOT OKAY to do SLI with 2 GTX670s. With the 750W, you ARE OKAY with SLI, and then some. That is a factor for you based on your desires to SLI.

And looniam is right, it is reasonable but not the best to assume that the review of the 450W unit extrapolates and extends to the 750W unit, for one, I suspect the topology is different because the 750W unit is much higher powered, and USUALLY the topology changes for PSUs if you want efficiency at above 500 Watts or so.

One shouldn't skimp on the quality (design, engineering, component selection, testing) of a PSU, which is not the same as the wattage.

Solution