New Gaming Build ~900

Approximate Purchase Date: About >2 weeks - Whenever IB gets released

Budget Range: 700-900

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (some FPS, mostly for Guild Wars 2)

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca amazon.ca

Country: Canada

Parts Preferences: Looking to get the intel IB - 3570K

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe Later

Monitor Resolution: Samsung SA550 (1920x1080 with a 60 Hz refresh rate)

Additional Comments: Looking for something that can be used to play mmorpgs, thanks in advanced for any advice. Also my first build!


Parts:

CPU - Waiting for the release of IB - 3570K

Mobo- ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

Video- ASUS HD7850-DC2-2GD5 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121623

Ram- CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345

HD-Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

$523.96 - On Newegg.ca for these

Fan- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G1YPH0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

PSU- OCZ ZS Series 750W 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005A2RJOI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view.html/ref=gno_cart

Subtotal on Amazon- 166.82

Total- 700, Looking to save some money to get the IB when it comes out, it's my first build and I live in Canada,

Thanks for the help!
Scott,
13 answers Last reply
More about gaming build
  1. Looks good. The only thing I might recommend is that you go for a slightly less expensive processor in favor of a better GPU, such as the 7870.
  2. If im not mistakened, you are going to need a seperate processor to flash your bios so that it becomes compatible with Ivy Bridge Processors if its on the last gen motherboards right?
  3. You want more grunt for gaming. I'd recommend the 7870 as a bare minimum, Asrock is a rubbish brand, I'd switch to Gigabyte or Asus, and if you want to save cash consider a 960T + Asus M9A97. Get a bigger HDD too, 500GB isn't enough for gaming. Games are now coming out that are frequently 12GB-15GB, console port or no.
  4. Thanks A lot, I'll look into the better GPU then any recommended hard drives?
  5. The Seagate ST2000MDxxx series (2TB) will be plenty. For the GPU, Sapphire's 7870 OC edition that you can push even further and it also comes with a decent cooler.
  6. FREE SHIPPING for this entire build. These retailers are affiliated and both offer free shipping. They are located in Richmond, BC.

    http://www.directcanada.com

    http://www.bestdirect.ca


    This build allows you to add another one of those cards in the future.


    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC0700&vpn=RC-912-KKN1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER $56.93
    Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=13220AC2351&vpn=OCZ-ZS750W&manufacture=OCZ $86.60 MIR $61.60*
    OCZ ZS Series 750W ATX12V V2.2 24PIN ATX SLI Ready 80PLUS Bronze Performance Power Supply 135mm Fan

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/241881/GA-Z77X-UD3H/Gigabyte/ $164.35
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Z77DDR3 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 HDMI CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

    http://pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-Processors-Launch-March-23-2012 $225 USD
    Intel i5-3750K Ivy Bridge CPU 3.4Ghz

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC0554&vpn=RR-212E-20PK-R2&manufacture=COOLERMASTER $31.05
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366/1155/1156/2011 120MM

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/240822/BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00/CRUCIAL%20TECHNOLOGY/ $44.07
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 2X4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 1.5V CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/225965/DRW-24B1ST%20Bulk/ASUS/ $16.79
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14120DR5445&vpn=ST1000DM003&manufacture=SEAGATE $111.30
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - OEM

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD5564&vpn=HD7850-DC2-2GD5&manufacture=ASUS $249.60
    ASUS Radeon HD 7850 860MHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E Video Card

    Total: $899.48 *not including mail in rebates
  7. Smeg45 said:
    You want more grunt for gaming. I'd recommend the 7870 as a bare minimum, Asrock is a rubbish brand, I'd switch to Gigabyte or Asus, and if you want to save cash consider a 960T + Asus M9A97. Get a bigger HDD too, 500GB isn't enough for gaming. Games are now coming out that are frequently 12GB-15GB, console port or no.


    I strongly disagree that he needs a stronger graphics card. I run an xfx 6850 with an amd 960t cpu and it runs every game I need it to run on the highest settings with absolutely no lag (including bf3, skyrim, and metro). If you want a 5 year future-proof card then yes, get a better card, but read this article about actual image quality before you go with a 7800 series card:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/image-quality-driver-optimization-graphics,3173.html

    From what I've read, the 7000 series are basically a slightly vamped, but much more energy efficient/cooler upgrade from the 6000s. I'd save some money and go with a 6870. Like I said, my 6850 will run anything I need it too. Especially with a brand new cpu, your computer will run great, and you can't beat the prices for the 6870s right now:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561

    I'd also recommend a brand other than Asrock. I know ASUS is very well known for all the features it adds to its boards, and I feel you can get a much better ASUS board with features like gpu boost and auto overclock or core-unlocker for a better price too. I have an ASUS m5a97 and I am EXTREMELY happy with this board. The UEFI bios on them with mouse control also makes things much easier to figure out and work with.

    Hope I helped! :)

    P.S. here's an article about the 6870 being the best ~$180 card for april this year (you may have seen it on the home page) and newegg has it for a bit cheaper
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-4.html
  8. tree319 said:


    P.S. here's an article about the 6870 being the best ~$180 card for april this year (you may have seen it on the home page) and newegg has it for a bit cheaper
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-4.html



    its about 150-160 at the moment. 150 for an HIS brand and 158~ for a sapphire brand(with the 12% off sale) the actual price is directly labled on amazon if one would prefer to shop on there instead. No idea how much this would equate to in canadian though.
  9. tree319 said:
    I strongly disagree that he needs a stronger graphics card. I run an xfx 6850 with an amd 960t cpu and it runs every game I need it to run on the highest settings with absolutely no lag (including bf3, skyrim, and metro). If you want a 5 year future-proof card then yes, get a better card, but read this article about actual image quality before you go with a 7800 series card:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/image-quality-driver-optimization-graphics,3173.html

    From what I've read, the 7000 series are basically a slightly vamped, but much more energy efficient/cooler upgrade from the 6000s. I'd save some money and go with a 6870. Like I said, my 6850 will run anything I need it too. Especially with a brand new cpu, your computer will run great, and you can't beat the prices for the 6870s right now:
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561

    I'd also recommend a brand other than Asrock. I know ASUS is very well known for all the features it adds to its boards, and I feel you can get a much better ASUS board with features like gpu boost and auto overclock or core-unlocker for a better price too. I have an ASUS m5a97 and I am EXTREMELY happy with this board. The UEFI bios on them with mouse control also makes things much easier to figure out and work with.

    Hope I helped! :)

    P.S. here's an article about the 6870 being the best ~$180 card for april this year (you may have seen it on the home page) and newegg has it for a bit cheaper
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-4.html


    6850 is rubbish. It would die if you turned Metro 2033 up to DirectX11 at max settings at 1080 minus DOF. Same with Battlefield 3. 7870 is the minimum the OP should get.
  10. Smeg45 said:
    6850 is rubbish. It would die if you turned Metro 2033 up to DirectX11 at max settings at 1080 minus DOF. Same with Battlefield 3. 7870 is the minimum the OP should get.



    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/539?vs=549

    Although I wouldn't jump the gun and say that the 6850 is bad, but if the OP wanted 1920x1200 on highest settings with around at least 60 fps(more is almost naked to the human eye), I would agree with you. at lesser quality or resolution, the 6850 can do fine. Then again, you are comparing 2 cards, 1 which is double the price of the other.
  11. First off thanks everyone for their input,
    Looks I've got a bunch of reading to do!
  12. Why_Me said:
    FREE SHIPPING for this entire build. These retailers are affiliated and both offer free shipping. They are located in Richmond, BC.

    http://www.directcanada.com

    http://www.bestdirect.ca


    This build allows you to add another one of those cards in the future.


    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC0700&vpn=RC-912-KKN1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER $56.93
    Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=13220AC2351&vpn=OCZ-ZS750W&manufacture=OCZ $86.60 MIR $61.60*
    OCZ ZS Series 750W ATX12V V2.2 24PIN ATX SLI Ready 80PLUS Bronze Performance Power Supply 135mm Fan

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/241881/GA-Z77X-UD3H/Gigabyte/ $164.35
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Z77DDR3 3PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 HDMI CrossFireX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

    http://pcper.com/news/Processors/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-Processors-Launch-March-23-2012 $225 USD
    Intel i5-3750K Ivy Bridge CPU 3.4Ghz

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11130AC0554&vpn=RR-212E-20PK-R2&manufacture=COOLERMASTER $31.05
    Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Direct Touch 4 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 AM3 LGA1366/1155/1156/2011 120MM

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/240822/BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00/CRUCIAL%20TECHNOLOGY/ $44.07
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 2X4GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 1.5V CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit

    http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/225965/DRW-24B1ST%20Bulk/ASUS/ $16.79
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14120DR5445&vpn=ST1000DM003&manufacture=SEAGATE $111.30
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - OEM

    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530BD5564&vpn=HD7850-DC2-2GD5&manufacture=ASUS $249.60
    ASUS Radeon HD 7850 860MHZ 2GB 4.8GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E Video Card

    Total: $899.48 *not including mail in rebates



    Thanks I'll definitely keep these sites in mind!
  13. After thinking about it I'm going to go with the 6870
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
    you can't beat the price on this product, and maybe I'll crossfire in the future!
    I'd like to ask everyones thoughts on two things,

    What mobo should I get? -Was thinking about this:
    http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=11830BD3604&vpn=GA-Z77X-UD3H&manufacture=GIGABYTE

    CPU- Should I go for the IB 3570K or should I down it a bit? I mostly will you use this computer for gaming/ surfing the internet/ entertainment,

    Thanks again!
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems