One Ring...

I noticed in "Xbox 360 Revealed" last night, that they picked "the ring"
as a design element. The "ring of light" around the power button,
rings of friends, 360 degrees, etc.

I suspect somebody thought, let's get Elijah Wood because he was in that
"ring movie," right? Then, after they had him signed, they realized
that they shouldn't allude to "Lord of the Rings" overly -- "One Ring to
bring them all, and in the Darkness bind them," and all that.

Microsoft probably would like to get out from under the Borg image
without becoming Sauron.

"Grinder" <grinder@no.spam.maam.net> wrote in message
>I noticed in "Xbox 360 Revealed" last night, that they picked "the ring" as
>a design element. The "ring of light" around the power button, rings of
>friends, 360 degrees, etc.
>
> I suspect somebody thought, let's get Elijah Wood because he was in that
> "ring movie," right? Then, after they had him signed, they realized that
> they shouldn't allude to "Lord of the Rings" overly -- "One Ring to bring
> them all, and in the Darkness bind them," and all that.
>
> Microsoft probably would like to get out from under the Borg image without
> becoming Sauron.

The XBox 360 codenam was "Grey Havens". Hm.

Jonah Falcon