Much help needed please

pablo1968

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
hi.neewbie here.just built a system.i7 asus mobo 16mg ram etc etc.fired up the system without an optical drive or ssd present.all looked good. now connected ssd and optical drive to install windows 7 and all i get is message "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key ?"

Anyone ?

this is doing my head in!!!

1st time builder so be patient and kind with me.Many thanks

pablo1968

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
removed optical drive and ssd tonight.tried to enter bios.got to the press f1 key to recover bios settings and system just hangs. any ideas guys? thanks for getting back to me.

pablo1968

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
not able to get past recovering bios settings.just hangs.tried clearing the rtc ram changing the jumper.might remove the onboard battery to clear the cmos rtc ram data tomorrow night. any ideas if that will help? if not,i've just about exhausted all my knowledge and read the asus p8z68-v pro gen3 users guide until i've nearly gone blind.I must be missing something easy,surely?

Feel free to take the battery out for 30 min and see if that changes anything.

However, I would still like to have my questions answered.

You may also want to download a program called MemTest86+ (just like that, with the + on it, there is one without the plus that I mean for you not to choose) then copy the files to a CD and start the computer with it in the drive.

The CD drive will need to be plugged into SATA 0 on the motherboard and disconnect ALL the hard drives and anything else that you don't absolutely need in order to turn the computer on.

pablo1968

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
In answer to your earlier question, I am using a Microsoft version of windows 7 but that doesn't seem to be the issue. It's getting onto the bios. I will take your advice and try testing the memory with the + software . Thank you for your advice and will post again to let you know the outcome.

pablo1968

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
memory test complete.removed all peripherals and did a bench test.removed everyhthing except mobo,memory.can now enter the bios set up.will now try to boot up from windows 7 and see what happens.