Change CPU and MB on same Win 7 install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuzzin Chizzy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
Is there any possible way to change out your motherboard from an x58 to a z77 and get a new cpu without doing a new install on Windows 7?

Just curious.

Also what do you guys think about Windows 8?

Solution
yep i did this on my pc

went from socket 775 with core 2 duo e7600

to a socket 1155 intel i5 2400

you need to makesure to uninstall all motherboard drivers then use a program like easybcd to reset core count and install new drivers

would recomend a clean install but this is quite easy to do. havent done a clean install on my pc in over 2-3 years and its only very ocationally ive had any problems e.g. bsod etc

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
yep i did this on my pc

went from socket 775 with core 2 duo e7600

to a socket 1155 intel i5 2400

you need to makesure to uninstall all motherboard drivers then use a program like easybcd to reset core count and install new drivers

would recomend a clean install but this is quite easy to do. havent done a clean install on my pc in over 2-3 years and its only very ocationally ive had any problems e.g. bsod etc

Solution

8connor98

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
No you will keep windows as long as your hdd has it installed on it doesn't matter if you replace everything at once. the only thing is you will need drivers for your motherboard.
Like shanky said make sure you uninstall all your old drivers for other mobo or it may get buggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.