ASarc

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2012
Ey guys, i'm new to this forum so if there is something missing just tell me.

I'm building a new pc and am almost done but i still have a few questions. one of my biggest questions:

I was reading some articles about the ivy bridge i7-3370k and its heating problem cause of the thermal density and the paste or something and was wondering if intel fixed it already.

in a lot of reviews it looks like it's not considered a problem anymore.

OCGL16

Distinguished
May 16, 2012
Yes, you will be fine. Actually, at stock clock speeds, it runs cooler than Sandy Bridge. If you will run at stock speeds, i would recommend a Hyper 212 Evo, although the stock cooler SHOULD be ok. If you are overclocking a bit, i would get a Corsair H100.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

buy a 110 dollar cooler that can be beat by a 70 dollar AIR COOLER? sound advice

DeusAres

Distinguished
lol, it seems I found your post. Welp, you already have my advice.

Noctua NH D14 all the way...especially if you plan on giving that chip a modest overclock of 4.5GHz.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Which $70 air cooler are you talking about? The H100 actually outperforms the noctua by a little bit. It's not worth the price nor is it worth the risk. I know the H100 is problematic as far as noise and occasional leaks. Anywho, which air cooler would you recommend. I'm actually kinda curious myself. :)

OCGL16

Distinguished
May 16, 2012

Like DeusAres said, the H100 does outperform the NH-D14 (assuming thats the cooler you're talking about). But he also mentioned the leaking and sound issues which i never really thought of. I was leaning towards the H100 because you wouldn't have to worry about what ram you buy, and it makes your rig look a lot cleaner :p. But since water leaking was brought up, i have to agree with getting the NH-D14, which is more in the range of $80-$90.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Yeah, but it doesn't outperform it by much...which is sad considering the H100 is supposed to be a water cooler.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

silver arrow

the silver arrow is more then 50% of the benches ive seen better then the nh-d14.

most benches ive seen with the nh-d14 vs the h100 its a split. add on top of that that thenh-d14 and silver arrow are more quite.

DeusAres

Distinguished

That's actually pretty awesome. Can you provide a link? I'd like to check it out myself.

One more question, how do you like your Rasa kit? Do you know if it would fit in the Antec 1100 case?

cbrunnem

Distinguished
yeah when i was in the process of getting the Noctua that is now my awesome paper weight i wanted to get the SA but it was either more expensive due to shipping and NE's free shipping or out of stock.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Also, it's not so much water that it leaks...it leaks propylene glycol...which doesn't go well with electronics.

InvalidError

Titan

Intel never "fixed" it because there never was a problem to fix in the first place as far as Intel is concerned. The first batches of reviews complained temperatures because higher temperatures on a smaller process and more efficient CMOS transistors was somewhat unexpected but now that they know why that is and Intel confirmed everything is working as intended, there isn't much left for reviewers to complain about.

At stock speed with stock cooler and decent case ventilation, IB temperatures are only a few degrees above SB temperatures in normal applications. It is only with overclocking, overvolting and synthetic stress-testing that temperatures climb unexpectedly high.

OCGL16

Distinguished
May 16, 2012

Either way, any liquid on my PC would make me go crazy.

Here's a link i just came across: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5lAbnPml4o
NH-D14 vs. SA vs. Phanteks vs. PH-TC14PE

All pretty similar when it comes to temps.

If you can't find the SA anywhere, you could go with the Phanteks. It comes in a bunch of colors, and all are in stock besides black on newegg. It is $90-$100 though.