Heatsink Installation Help.

I recently recived my motherboard and heatsink for my new build. The heatsink is a stock heatsink coming out of an XW4400 workstation. I am having trouble installing the heatsink. Here is a link to the manual. I follow the instructions but i can't get it to stay on. Any suggestions?

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01511172.pdf
4 answers Last reply
More about heatsink installation help
  1. What happens when you follow the instructions on pages 9, 10, and 11? Are the threads stripped?

The instructions look straight forward.
  2. The motherboard is threaded but when i screw the screws in they just pop out when i try to lift the board.
  3. hayesboys3 said:
    The motherboard is threaded but when i screw the screws in they just pop out when i try to lift the board.

Looks like the female (tapped) threads are stripped or the threaded inserts are loose. Use 1/8" longer screws and then attach a nut at the bottom to keep the heatsink assembly secured. Be careful not to short circuit the traces on the underside of the motherboard. This task will need moderate skill.
  4. okay. I was planning on using nut's but i was worried about screwing up the board. Thanks for the help.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Motherboards New Build Components