Messenger starts when I open an email message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

Just got a new computer with XP Pro SP2 loaded. I disabled Windows
Messenger Service by going into Administrative Tools, Services, Messenger,
and selected "disable".

When I open Outlook 2003, Messenger doesn't open. When I download email it
doesn't open. But when I OPEN an email message, all of a sudden, Windows
Messenger pops up in my system tray. And if I right-click and hit exit, it
tells me it can't as long as OL is open.

I've gone into OL and looked in Add-In manager, Com add-ins, and otehr
likely place, but for the life of me I cannot find what's telling Messenger
to load.

How do I kill this thing?
8 answers Last reply
More about messenger starts open email message
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    See...

    http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

    T. Wise wrote:
    > Just got a new computer with XP Pro SP2 loaded. I disabled Windows
    > Messenger Service by going into Administrative Tools, Services, Messenger,
    > and selected "disable".
    >
    > When I open Outlook 2003, Messenger doesn't open. When I download email
    > it doesn't open. But when I OPEN an email message, all of a sudden,
    > Windows Messenger pops up in my system tray. And if I right-click and
    > hit exit, it tells me it can't as long as OL is open.
    >
    > I've gone into OL and looked in Add-In manager, Com add-ins, and otehr
    > likely place, but for the life of me I cannot find what's telling
    > Messenger to load.
    >
    > How do I kill this thing?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Thanks! The one that worked was Group Policy / Administrative Templates.

    "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > See...
    >
    > http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
    >

    > T. Wise wrote:
    >> Just got a new computer with XP Pro SP2 loaded. I disabled Windows
    >> Messenger Service by going into Administrative Tools, Services,
    >> Messenger,
    >> and selected "disable".
    >>
    >> When I open Outlook 2003, Messenger doesn't open. When I download email
    >> it doesn't open. But when I OPEN an email message, all of a sudden,
    >> Windows Messenger pops up in my system tray. And if I right-click and
    >> hit exit, it tells me it can't as long as OL is open.
    >>
    >> I've gone into OL and looked in Add-In manager, Com add-ins, and otehr
    >> likely place, but for the life of me I cannot find what's telling
    >> Messenger to load.
    >>
    >> How do I kill this thing?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    (;+>}

    T. Wise wrote:
    > Thanks! The one that worked was Group Policy / Administrative Templates.
    >

    > "PA Bear" <PABear@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > See...
    > >
    > > http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)
    > >

    > > T. Wise wrote:
    > > > Just got a new computer with XP Pro SP2 loaded. I disabled Windows
    > > > Messenger Service by going into Administrative Tools, Services,
    > > > Messenger,
    > > > and selected "disable".
    > > >
    > > > When I open Outlook 2003, Messenger doesn't open. When I download
    > > > email it doesn't open. But when I OPEN an email message, all of a
    > > > sudden, Windows Messenger pops up in my system tray. And if I
    > > > right-click and hit exit, it tells me it can't as long as OL is open.
    > > >
    > > > I've gone into OL and looked in Add-In manager, Com add-ins, and otehr
    > > > likely place, but for the life of me I cannot find what's telling
    > > > Messenger to load.
    > > >
    > > > How do I kill this thing?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Go into the options and uncheck the messenger link with outlook

    Kind regards

    Wab

    T. Wise wrote:
    > Just got a new computer with XP Pro SP2 loaded. I disabled Windows
    > Messenger Service by going into Administrative Tools, Services, Messenger,
    > and selected "disable".
    >
    > When I open Outlook 2003, Messenger doesn't open. When I download email it
    > doesn't open. But when I OPEN an email message, all of a sudden, Windows
    > Messenger pops up in my system tray. And if I right-click and hit exit, it
    > tells me it can't as long as OL is open.
    >
    > I've gone into OL and looked in Add-In manager, Com add-ins, and otehr
    > likely place, but for the life of me I cannot find what's telling Messenger
    > to load.
    >
    > How do I kill this thing?

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Options in what program? I can't a messenger link in Outlook's options,
    and when I open Messenger option,s I can't find anything referring to
    Outlook. I've also unchecked everything under Preferences.

    "Wab" <wabonline@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Go into the options and uncheck the messenger link with outlook
    >
    > Kind regards
    >
    > Wab
    >
    > T. Wise wrote:
    >> Just got a new computer with XP Pro SP2 loaded. I disabled Windows
    >> Messenger Service by going into Administrative Tools, Services,
    >> Messenger, and selected "disable".
    >>
    >> When I open Outlook 2003, Messenger doesn't open. When I download email
    >> it doesn't open. But when I OPEN an email message, all of a sudden,
    >> Windows Messenger pops up in my system tray. And if I right-click and
    >> hit exit, it tells me it can't as long as OL is open.
    >>
    >> I've gone into OL and looked in Add-In manager, Com add-ins, and otehr
    >> likely place, but for the life of me I cannot find what's telling
    >> Messenger to load.
    >>
    >> How do I kill this thing?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    Rename Windows Messenger.

    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe < rename file to > "msmsgs.bak". Done.

    "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Just got a new computer with XP Pro SP2 loaded. I disabled Windows
    > Messenger Service by going into Administrative Tools, Services, Messenger,
    > and selected "disable".
    >
    > When I open Outlook 2003, Messenger doesn't open. When I download email
    > it doesn't open. But when I OPEN an email message, all of a sudden,
    > Windows Messenger pops up in my system tray. And if I right-click and hit
    > exit, it tells me it can't as long as OL is open.
    >
    > I've gone into OL and looked in Add-In manager, Com add-ins, and otehr
    > likely place, but for the life of me I cannot find what's telling
    > Messenger to load.
    >
    > How do I kill this thing?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    My C:\Program Files\Messenger doesn't contain msmsgs.exe.

    "Chris" <christian.wistberg@bredband.net> wrote in message
    > Rename Windows Messenger.
    >
    > C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe < rename file to > "msmsgs.bak".
    > Done.
    >

    > "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Just got a new computer with XP Pro SP2 loaded. I disabled Windows
    >> Messenger Service by going into Administrative Tools, Services,
    >> Messenger, and selected "disable".
    >>
    >> When I open Outlook 2003, Messenger doesn't open. When I download email
    >> it doesn't open. But when I OPEN an email message, all of a sudden,
    >> Windows Messenger pops up in my system tray. And if I right-click and
    >> hit exit, it tells me it can't as long as OL is open.
    >>
    >> I've gone into OL and looked in Add-In manager, Com add-ins, and otehr
    >> likely place, but for the life of me I cannot find what's telling
    >> Messenger to load.
    >>
    >> How do I kill this thing?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger (More info?)

    "T. Wise" <terwise111@yahoo.com> wrote
    | Just got a new computer with XP Pro SP2 loaded. I disabled Windows
    | Messenger Service by going into Administrative Tools, Services, Messenger,
    | and selected "disable".
    |
    | When I open Outlook 2003, Messenger doesn't open. When I download email it
    | doesn't open. But when I OPEN an email message, all of a sudden, Windows
    | Messenger pops up in my system tray. And if I right-click and hit exit, it
    | tells me it can't as long as OL is open.
    |
    | I've gone into OL and looked in Add-In manager, Com add-ins, and otehr
    | likely place, but for the life of me I cannot find what's telling Messenger
    | to load.
    |
    | How do I kill this thing?

    http://www.dougknox.com
    Win XP Utilities
    Disable/Remove Windows Messenger

Configuration Messenger Microsoft Email Windows XP