Solved

Cpu + gpu dilemma

Hi guys. I'm having a hard time selecting the cpu + gpu 'cos the budget is kinda tight.
My question here is would it be better if I go with i3-2120 + higher-value-card VS. i5-2400 + not-so-expensive-card VS. i5-2500 + some-card? ...

Quote:
Approximate Purchase Date: (few months after maybe)

Budget Range: (for the cpu and gpu, about $350)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Gaming, multimedia... more on gaming though)

Parts Not Required: (I only need that two 'cos I already decided on the other parts)

Country: (Philippines)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (AMD or Intel, any for the card)

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: (1680x1050, 1920x1080)

16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dilemma
  1. aserate said:
    Hi guys. I'm having a hard time selecting the cpu + gpu 'cos the budget is kinda tight.
    My question here is would it be better if I go with i3-2120 + higher-value-card VS. i5-2400 + not-so-expensive-card

    Quote:
    Approximate Purchase Date: (few months after maybe)

    Budget Range: (for the cpu and gpu, about $350)

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Gaming, multimedia... more on gaming though)

    Parts Not Required: (I only need that two 'cos I already decided on the other parts)

    Country: (Philippines)

    Parts Preferences: by brand or type (AMD or Intel, any for the card)

    Overclocking: No

    SLI or Crossfire: No

    Monitor Resolution: (1680x1050, 1920x1080)



    i3-2120 + 7850. Bam.
  2. another opinion? (not that i'm not considering yours gary1 hehe)
  3. I3 2100 + 7870. this is what I call bam.

    then upgrade to sandy bridge i5/i7 in the next few years or something since after ivy it's supposed to be the end of 1155 (not sure about this)

    and your 7870 should last you quite a lot as most peoples 460/480 did last them long
  4. how much is 7870 again? how is i5-2400 + some-card not better than that?
  5. if you can still find them the 6870 it last year 7870 that was replaced.
  6. and i3-2120 costs about $130 + the $250 7850, won't fit my budget ($350)
  7. Tavo_Nova said:
    I3 2100 + 7870. this is what I call bam.

    then upgrade to sandy bridge i5/i7 in the next few years or something since after ivy it's supposed to be the end of 1155 (not sure about this)

    and your 7870 should last you quite a lot as most peoples 460/480 did last them long


    Too bad his budget is 350$, and the 7870 is 350..

    I3-2120 for like 110 and 7850 for 250$ is the best combo imo.

    The 2120 goes on sale for 15-20 off all the time, you just have to wait.
  8. I guess I'll just have to wait the other GTX 6 series come out. Maybe the prices will go down. But I have definitely decided on my cpu. i3-2120. Thanks!
  9. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    and

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150573

    340 after MIR. If your motherboard has SLI/Crossfire you can get another card later. Having the i5 gives you ocing. if you want to wait the new Ivy Bridge i5 is ganna be $225. Should be close to budget still.
  10. as i've stated. I do not overclock. Cos if I will buy the K series, I will be forced to buy a a P67 or the likes, which is WAY MORE expensive than the H61/H67...

    so my choices are i3-2120/i5-2400/i5-2500, or the x4 IF it's worth it...
  11. Best answer
    Wait What....?, if you get K series you must get P67/Z68/Z77?, Not necessarily. but if you not going to overclock, you don't need a K Processor. I heard from a friend that the Lowest end Keplers like the GT 640 is to be performance around a 550 ti and not require external power. the GTX 650 is gonna be Priced around a 550 ti but perform at 560 ti level. May be just work wating for the 600 series to fully mature. Also if Ivy has a Dual core or Low end Quad core (which it does i have seen release charts) it may just be worth waiting to get a Low end Ivy board and the works
  12. Best answer selected by aserate.
  13. ohh I thought it's required to have those boards to use the i5-2500k. But what if I won't overclock at all, is 2500k still worth it?
  14. 2500 K is a good processor but its the same as a 2500, the only difference is Intel has unlocked it to make it overclock better. You can overclock any non k processor. the only difference between them and the K, is the K overclocks better.
  15. So save about 20-40 bucks for the difference?, yes the 2500 is a better option than its K brother. Now don' be crapping be just to overclock later and then come back and say it didn't do what you wanted...... But since you won't be overclocking... 2500 is a best answer
  16. Understood. Thanks! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build GPUs CPUs Systems Product