Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does Hyper Threading really make a difference?

Last response: in CPUs
July 28, 2012 10:32:15 PM

I decided to go with the i7 2600 over the i5 2500K because not only is it an i7, but it has Hyper Threading. Now that my PC is built, I was wondering what are the benefits of HT.
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2012 10:38:04 PM

HT is basically worthless unless you do encoding or transcoding. The i5 will perform just as well at the i7 in general performance and gaming.
m
l
a c 219 à CPUs
July 28, 2012 11:25:20 PM

As the operating system is opening and closing prorgrams if it has a core or thread in a core to run a program without affecting another program it will use the available thread or core. So you can run more programs and even while gaming if the OS has available threads to use while gaming it can use them and not interfere with the game and have open programs and running in the background without straining resources.
If you have two monitors and the second monitor you had running some monitoring programs to see what the temps are , what the memory amount is being used and others thart can monitor and give you operating information. All these can be running without interfereing with the game because they each have thier own thread/core to use and run while gaming.
It's not a lot benefit that you can get from hyperthreading but there is some. You may not notice it but it can help , you would have to have the windows resource manager open and the cpu selected to see what and how many cores are being used. Those that are not being used are parked. Each thread will appear as a core and you will have 8 cores showing because you have a quad core with hyperthreading and that equals 8 cores. I have a 6 core cpu so it shows as 12 cores.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2012 11:29:05 PM

the hyperthreaded cores don't get used unless they have to and they can't really be used as real cores. They will provide a slight advantage when they can be utilized but that is rare in general computing on a quad core or higher system.
m
l

Best solution

a c 480 à CPUs
July 29, 2012 12:18:12 AM

HT can provide a boost in performance generally between 20% - 40% depending on how well a specific program has been designed to advantage of HT.

Of course, if a program is not designed to use HT at all (most programs and all games), then HT provides no improvements whatsoever. Actually, there have been many benchmarks over the past 3+ years showing gaming performance decreases by 1% - 2% when HT is enabled on a CPU.

If I were to build a new PC now, I would opt for an i5 instead of an i7 to save money.
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2012 12:28:24 AM

Hyper threading does have its advantages particularly with encoding. Encoding HD with Sony Vegas pushes my 2600 K to 95% across all eight "cores" (4 being physical cores.) There is also the occasional game such as Left 4 Dead 2 which seems to lean on the CPU far more intensely than the GPU with multi threading enabled in the game options.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2012 12:34:07 AM

Wamphryi said:
Hyper threading does have its advantages particularly with encoding. Encoding HD with Sony Vegas pushes my 2600 K to 95% across all eight "cores" (4 being physical cores.) There is also the occasional game such as Left 4 Dead 2 which seems to lean on the CPU far more intensely than the GPU with multi threading enabled in the game options.

when games use hyperthreaded cores, it general degrades performance.
if l4d2 is anything like l4d then:
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
July 29, 2012 12:37:32 AM

Generally speaking, video encoding (as long as both program and codec can make use of HT) and 3D rendering are examples of instances where HT can boost performance.

As for Left 4 Dead 2... Valve's Source Engine only takes advantage of 2 cores so HT doesn't play any part in performance. If you have a dual core i3 CPU, then maybe some of Win 7 background programs can make use of HT, but I'm not sure about that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2012 12:41:31 AM

source engine is actually decently well threaded, it will use 4 cores and more although rather lightly except for the 2 main ones.
m
l
a c 480 à CPUs
July 29, 2012 12:53:40 AM

Hmmm... I guess Valve updated Source since the last time I bothered looking at it's benchmarks then.

It would be nice if Valve can finally start developing Half Life 3. Other than HL 2, the only other Source Engine game I played was Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2012 1:07:50 AM

Valve would need to learn to count to 3...
m
l
July 29, 2012 2:43:22 AM

Best answer selected by rjackowens.
m
l
!